2016 Magic, Splendor, Valor, and Fantasy DryDocks. What Will These Ships Get?

I just saw the Carnival Splendor, Carnival Valor, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Fantasy have dry-docks now announced for next year, 2016.

Source: http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-drydock-schedule.html

Does anybody know what these ships will receive or can anyone give any juicy speculation of what they think these ships will get?

One Side Note: The Carnival Fantasy is scheduled for a two week dry-dock. Thankfully, this means the ship probably won't be getting sold as some on here have suggested. The Fantasy will survive with Carnival another year!!

Have a Great Weekend!

I just saw the Carnival Splendor, Carnival Valor, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Fantasy have dry-docks now announced for next year, 2016.

Does anybody know what these ships will receive or can anyone give any juicy speculation of what they think these ships will get?

One Side Note: The Carnival Fantasy is scheduled for a two week dry-dock. Thankfully, this means the ship probably won't be getting sold as some on here have suggested. The Fantasy will survive with Carnival another year!!

Have a Great Weekend!

I thought ships had to be dry docked every five years? Look like some slip into 6 years. Looking at the list in the link Liberty last dry dock was 2011 but not listed. Looks like they will need to be added to some timeframe in 2016.

I thought ships had to be dry docked every five years? Look like some slip into 6 years. Looking at the list in the link Liberty last dry dock was 2011 but not listed. Looks like they will need to be added to some timeframe in 2016.

I think you're right about the five year thing. However, I am not sure if five years is a law, regulation, or just a rule Carnival Corporation set for itself.

You're right about the Liberty. Maybe Carnival is still going to announce one for it?

I assume Splendor will get Funship 2.0 upgrades. She's overdue for those.

I'm sailing on her in October, and am a little disappointed out port (Norfolk) didn't get a 2.0 ship, since we used to have the Glory.

Oh well, Splendor still looks like a great ship. And next year, we get the Sunshine!

Have a Great Weekend!

Speculation? Why not? I'm guessing Splendor will get Fun Ship 2.0 as it doesn't have Guyburgers or all that Red Frog stuff. If the others don't have them either, they probably will after the dry dock.

When we went on the Disney Magic several years ago, they told us that the ship had to be dry-docked every five years or so for routine maintenance and new paint. I never realized it, but that constant painting they do on the exterior of the ship adds up to many tons of extra weight over the years and it needs to be periodically removed and redone.

When we went on the Disney Magic several years ago, they told us that the ship had to be dry-docked every five years or so for routine maintenance and new paint. I never realized it, but that constant painting they do on the exterior of the ship adds up to many tons of extra weight over the years and it needs to be periodically removed and redone.

I did not know this. Thank you for sharing.

I was booked on the Splendor for March 6, 2016 Western Caribbean and was recently told by Carnival that it is going into dry dock for upgrades and we have to change our booking to another ship. My options are Valor to Western Caribbean, 7 day or on the Breeze for a 6 day. I am thinking Valor even though it doesn't seem to have upgrades either.

My guess is that the Magic will be upgraded from the old style shows with the giant, costly sets to the Playlist Production style shows that are cheaper and easier to change out.:D

::ducks in case of rotten tomatoes::

No rotten tomatoes here, just a bouquet for you. I am not a fan of the Playlist shows.

But you're probably right about Magic - and the others - getting the PP shows, at least any ships that don't already have them.

I would love to see the Fantasy get a major overhaul. The staterooms especially could do with major renovations similar to those the Sunshine got. Not sure how much they can accomplish in two weeks but hopefully they will freshen her up since obviously they are hoping for several more years life out of her.

Thanks, funcruiser1234, for viewing my unofficial dry-dock schedule. It is nice to know I don't update it only for myself.

Personally, I am wondering if any of these dry-docks could have anything to do with Carnival Corporation's June 4 announcement. Some here on Cruise Critic have speculated a new cruise line may get formed. Before a new cruise line would begin, a ship would have to receive some work to be converted. This is just my personal speculation on the dry-dock schedule.

Carnival Splendor's dry dock details were confirmed by a lead at the dry dock facility that it would be transformed for its Asian market debut in China.

Thank you for sharing this information. This makes sense because Carnival Corporation seems to be adding more ships to China to dominate the growing market they have for cruising. I wonder how you transform a ship, such as the Splendor, for the Asian market?

Has anyone heard anything about the Magic getting Fun Ship 2.0? I think a two week dry-dock should be enough time to implement this.

I hope the Magic gets the 2.0 upgrades and (hopefully) Ji Ji. Ji Ji Asian Kitchen is only on the Sunshine and Vista but I loved it and I haven't heard of any poor reviews about it either. The Magic has enough space to include it...

Thank you for sharing this information. This makes sense because Carnival Corporation seems to be adding more ships to China to dominate the growing market they have for cruising. I wonder how you transform a ship, such as the Splendor, for the Asian market?

In a way, that would make sense. Splendor is Carnival's odd duck. Not quite a conquest class ship, and doesn't have any Funship 2.0.

I pray it's true that the Valor is being updated in March 2016, but when you search it on carnival's website you can still book every week for March 2016. Would they let people book all those dates and then change?:confused: We sail her in October 2016, so updates would;d be wonderful.:D

I pray it's true that the Valor is being updated in March 2016, but when you search it on carnival's website you can still book every week for March 2016. Would they let people book all those dates and then change?:confused: We sail her in October 2016, so updates would;d be wonderful.:D

Unfortunately, Carnival will probably leave these bookings open until the plans are finalized and dates are better set. Carnival has done this in the past.

Hopefully nothing changes and the ship goes in during March 2016. These would mean in October you would be on a refreshed ship!

Does anyone know if other cruisers have asked Mr. John Heald about the Valor's dry-dock? I thought I saw something on the Facebook sidebar, but I could not find it again.

He said that a dry-dock will be scheduled but they are still in the process of working out all the details.

I think the Magic will get the 2.0 stuff like Guys Burger Joint, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Bar in Lido, and Blue Iguana Tequila Bar too... Those are enough for a 2 week cause they already have the bars there and the locations for guys and blue iguana too they just need to color and add the extra stuff.. Alchemy Bar needs more time cause they will need to renovate something and take off whatever it is to make room for Alchemy Bar.

• 8 months later...

I Actually just saw that Valor was being drydocked from end of April around 20th through May 4th or so.... it was for 2 weeks. We booked Valor last night for June 12. We were excited to go on a larger ship even though it had not had the 2.0 yet.... then I found the thread that said it was going in for dry dock before we go! :) I did see mention that they would be getting Red Frog, Blue Iguana, Guys!!!!!!, and several other things. So now I am even more excited! :cool: