Out of Houston Cruising

deborahjo

To go along with Nezmo's pictures, click here http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/live-cruise-terminal-cam/ for the Live Cruise Terminal Cam showing the Bayport Cruise Terminal on Galveston Bay from another direction.

Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
typo due to fat paws & skinny keys!

My family is sailing on the Caribbean Princess next March. The plan right now is for us to fly into Hobby the day before the cruise.(We are all coming from different parts of the country and I don't want to take a chance on bad weather delaying anyone) We will take a hotel shuttle to the hotel that day and then take it back to Hobby the next morning to catch the Princess shuttle. After reading the stories about how the fog can slow everything down I am really hesitant to take a taxi/limo to the port.

• 2 weeks later...
We sailed out of Bayport in February and used the Princess transfer from Bush. Very easy and reasonable - $22 pp each way.

Just got quoted $48 per person for the transfer from Houston International . . .is that what you people in the know are calling Bush?

Edited by West Coast Gal

. . .is that what you people in the know are calling Bush?

George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)

Click here http://www.visithoustontexas.com/travel-tools/maps-and-transportation/airport-info/ for more information about the two main Houston airports.

Kat emo32.gif

Last time we sailed out of Houston, we stayed at a Marriott by Hobby the night before. Due to the consulting work my husband was doing I wanted to make things as simple and unstressed as possible for him (very tight time deadline), so I ordered a private limo from the hotel to the port. It was a little more than the Princess transfer, but we didn't have to get back to the airport and then get on the Princess transfer. I think including tip it was about $65. If you are flying in the day before (which is not a bad idea given the fog issues) you might want to look into this option.

What limo company did you use? We'll be cruising from Bayport again next April.

Last April we took a taxi from Hobby to the Best Western in Seabrooke ($50 including tip) and then BW's free shuttle to port. But the taxi ride back to Hobby from Bayport terminal was $75 plus tip because we ran into traffic and the meter was running. I'd rather do a flat rate limo.

Just got quoted $48 per person for the transfer from Houston International . . .is that what you people in the know are calling Bush?

Think that may be for 2, I believe its $24pp? Just did it in March, its a bargain. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Just a comment, the "channel" is the dredged ship channel cut through Galveston bay. The cruise ships never enter the actual channel that persons think of the Houston Ship Channel. Look at the map, the leg across the bay is only a tiney bit of the total miles travelled, but everyone complains about the bottom.shelf booze served during this segment

Doing NCL in Jan.

What are some of the best hotels closest to this port to consider? Ones that have shuttles that will take us to port.

Mattp240, you said you live there, help a bro out. 😀😀

Does NCL offer transfer? We arrive2 days before but depart for home day of return

Thanks

Try Best Western Seabrook Suites. http://WWW.bwseabrooksuites.com. They include a shuttle service

I think they are the only ones who include free shuttle to the port.

We really liked the BW and plan to stay there next April again. The only drawback is that although they have an excellent complimentary breakfast in the breakfast room part of the lobby, they do not have a restaurant or cafe for dinner and none are nearby. No bars either.

They do have vending machine food and a microwave in the room to heat the tv dinners and Hot Pockets.

There is also is a Subway sandwich shop close by but no restaurants.

The other amenities and the room was worth that inconvenience for us.

You could take a taxi to Kemah Boardwalk or restaurants in the area.

Edited by NMLady

Coming into Houston on NCL Jade from Barcelona November 14, a Saturday, arrival time expected to be 10:00am! - they made it later than the usual 8:00am that it was when we booked.

We need to rent a car to go visit an elderly cousin in west Houston, then take a late flight home to NM. I had hoped to get the car in Bayport but the only rental I can find is Enterprise and they close at noon.

I'm thinking our best bet will be to get a ship transfer to Hobby and pick up a car there. But I hate to waste a lot of our limited time filling up a bus to Hobby. Is there a car service and if so maybe there's a better place to rent a car that we could then return to Hobby before our flight home? Any thoughts would be helpful at this stage. Thanks in advance. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Coming into Houston on NCL Jade from Barcelona November 14, a Saturday, arrival time expected to be 10:00am! - they made it later than the usual 8:00am that it was when we booked.

We need to rent a car to go visit an elderly cousin in west Houston, then take a late flight home to NM. I had hoped to get the car in Bayport but the only rental I can find is Enterprise and they close at noon.

I'm thinking our best bet will be to get a ship transfer to Hobby and pick up a car there. But I hate to waste a lot of our limited time filling up a bus to Hobby. Is there a car service and if so maybe there's a better place to rent a car that we could then return to Hobby before our flight home? Any thoughts would be helpful at this stage. Thanks in advance. m--

Last April we did not have any trouble getting a taxi from Bayport to Hobby.

I too would be interested in knowing the name(s) of any private transport companies. We will be three people so it seems that the cost is about the same as the Princess bus but I think it would be more convenient than having to go back to the airport.

Thanks

I too would be interested in knowing the name(s) of any private transport companies. We will be three people so it seems that the cost is about the same as the Princess bus but I think it would be more convenient than having to go back to the airport.

Thanks

Hilton property we are staying at recommended Supershuttle. Prices weren't too bad. I contacted many companies in the area and they were the lowest so far. Only thing about them though is their reviews lean more towards the "not so good" side of the dial. :):):)

Doing rental car comparison, the prices if you rent at the airport is so much higher than if you rent at an office a couple blocks away.

• 3 weeks later...

Kemah or Seabrook?

We have to fly in the day before the cruise . . . get into Bush International at. 4:36 pm. So thinking we are looking for the place that we can have an enjoyable meal that night with a bit to walk around in the morning . . .I know we can get that in Kemah due to the boardwalk, but does Seabrook have anything similar?

I'm interested in this post! I had another post but I am flying in to Houston the day before and looking for best & cheapest option to getting from airport to hotel to port and then coming home best option from port to airport.

My roll call said that Uber is the cheapest . . . as long as it isn't peak time so there is not a surge rate

Edited by West Coast Gal

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all of you that are like me.....frustrated by the cost and availability of transportation in the Seabrook port area. I am reading that Princess is moving out of this port after Spring 2016 so maybe there is a reluctance to build the services at this time. DH and I are on the Dec. 6th Princess so I have been doing some research about transportation. I have looked into Super Shuttle. Their prices are better than taxis but I didn't find much flexibility for drop off areas close to the port. I wasn't sure if they would take you to a particular hotel based on the choice options on line. The cost for a ride from the airport was $77 for 2 people (one way). Taxis were much higher but offer more flexibility. Here are prices you can expect for taxi services to or from each airport:

Houston Hobby:

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Houston&from=Bayport+Cruise+Terminal%2C+Samoth%2C+Seabrook%2C+TX%2C+United+States&to=Hobby+Airport%2C+Airport+Boulevard%2C+Houston%2C+TX%2C+United+States&fromCoord=29.610532,-94.99265300000002&toCoord=29.654107,-95.276614

George Bush International:

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Houston&from=Bayport+Cruise+Terminal%2C+Samoth%2C+Seabrook%2C+TX%2C+United+States&to=George+Bush+Intercontinental+Airport%2C+North+Terminal+Road%2C+Houston%2C+TX%2C+United+States&fromCoord=29.610532,-94.99265300000002&toCoord=29.99022,-95.33678299999997

We considered renting a car but there are problems there. Enterprise has an office in Saybrook, the port area, but it is closed on Sundays completely and closes at noon on Saturdays. If you rent a car at a local office, there is an additional $100 charge for leaving the vehicle at the airport. So if you rent a car when you arrive at one of the airports, you'll have to return it to the airport or pay a hefty charge.

The cruise lines have the best deal but you are reliant on their time schedules. They offer very fair prices on the transfers and guarantee you on time arrival and departure. The Princess fare is $24 per person each way at this time. DH and I are arriving the day before our cruise and they only pick up and transfer passengers on the day of the cruise so we are stuck at a hotel at the airport unless we find alternate transportation. We are still researching options.....

Good luck to all. I hope this helps a little. I would be interested in other folks adventures.

Thank you debbeck for sharing your info. We are on NCL in March. I have been having a hard time finding options. This is our first "warm water" cruise as we have only done Alaska previously. Lots more options and information for going out of Seattle :) We will be arriving at Hobby late the night before our cruise departs and we are probably going to crash at a hotel close by and then use Super Shuttle to get to Bayport. Appreciate your links!

Well, just keep in mind that most people in Houston don't know that area at all. It's not really in the city of Houston but it's considered part of the Port of Houston authority. I will add to that with the fastest experience ever getting on and off the ship was at Bayport