Time to stop single passenger supplements

jenpet

Every cabin sold to two passengers is a cabin that can't be sold to four passengers. So by your logic, there should be a double supplement as well. :D

Aside from parents travelling with children, there are very few foursomes wanting to share a cabin -- and those willing to do it are likely to be so limited financially that the cruise line would see very little profitable onboard spending from them. Of course a bunch of spring-breakers - maybe eight to a cabin like some old Fort Lauderdale motels experienced - would generate significant bar revenue (except for the fact that thy might smuggle most of their booze)-- but somehow the lines seem to want to exercise some discretion.

True kids don't spend much around the ship except maybe for drinks. I don't know about the bigger ships with all the bells and whistles if there are extra charges also. However, kids do provide income from shore excursions and maybe parents spending more money buying pictures.

Having kids on board may not generate specific revenue, but a lot of revenue generate adults are able to cruise only because they can have their children crammed into their cabin with them.

Every cabin sold to two passengers is a cabin that can't be sold to four passengers. So by your logic, there should be a double supplement as well.

There is a maximum number of people allowed on the ship for safety reasons, so they can't simply squeeze more people in a cabin to maximize the revenue. They could adjust the maximum allowed by making other adjustments (to lifeboats etc), but it's not simply a matter of selling more tickets.

I haven't seen one yet with a veranda; NCL solo cabins are all insiders. I also would love a "single" veranda studio - it's quite annoying to have to pay for the "whole" studio. Give me a twin bed, a bathroom, and a veranda for one chair and I'd be a very happy cruiser. The cruise line could take a few "regular" suite rooms, divide that footage into 2 "studios". It would be hard to retrofit due to plumbing, but a new build could do it...

My favorite small ship, Aegean Odyssey, has two deluxe solo cabins with verandas. I got upgraded to one on one of my cruises and it was very nice. However, I'm not one to really sit on my balcony alone, I'd rather be in a spot where I can people watch or chat with others......so I doubt I'd ever pay the price for one of these rooms.

Sure, that is true for some.

But for some others, there are four of them in an inside cabin, they drink iced tea/coffee/water, use their cameras to get what photos they want, don't book excursions, don't buy in the shops, no gambling and no art auctions........ :)

It's so hard to generalize about any group. All are different in their own ways.

Sure everybody is different but the cruise lines have that expensive real estate for kids because their marketing departments have determined that it better to have a loss leader or minimal profits from families now, on an aggregate basis, to get people to cruise in those family years rather them loosing those customers to Disney, Six Flags, etc. and trying to win them as customers in later years. Or course, some of those cruisers that they win will always be insiders, that don't buy booze, gamble, non spa using , non art buying break-even customers for life. But others will turn out to be boozing, gambling, spa and art buyers extraordinaires who will be very profitable for the cruise lines over their cruising lifetimes. So when all's said and done the cruise lines have determined the the benefits from those family cruisers out-way the costs for those customers.

Edited by DirtyDawg