Liverpool Departures

Mostonian

After such a stunning celebration in Liverpool this weekend surely the powers that be can see that there that there must be a market for more departures from this northern port. There are very few ports with such an historic and beautiful waterfront (and I'm from Manchester).

Agreed, I think that the first of the major cruise lines to seriously view Liverpool as a potential departure port will make a killing. Lets see what happens after the dust settles.......

They need to build a new cruise terminal first. The QM2 July crossing has been limited to 400 boarding in the city because the terminal can't dead with a full embarkation.

David.

If Liverpool can provide the facility, then We'd be more than happy to Sail from Liverpool. Southampton's okay, but it's not Liverpool.

Carnival HQ in the Cunard Building. A Nice new Cruise Terminal at Princess Dock and the Queen Elizabeth 2 permanently moored in Queen's dock as a Museum, Conference Centre and a floating hotel would do very nicely I think.

Edited by JollyJackTar52

As I understand it Liverpool accepted Euro Money to help build the port up and that this given was on the basis of the port not being a start point for cruises and another port complained about the disparity should Liverpool become an embarkation port for starting ones cruise there.

Regards John

And Liverpool has been paying back some of that money for some time now.

The Euro money was given to help the City, at the time of the 'City of Culture' some years ago..... Watch this space, once the dept has been paid back ;)

There are many cruise ships these days, it won't make any effect on the port of Southampton. Scousers won't let Southampton push em around :D

For a full turn around cruise, Cunard need a new terminal including a larger floating dock with access for large vehicles carrying the supplies.

Until then I would be happy to have cruises start in Southampton and pick up / drop off in Liverpool on route. :)

According to this, it's not feasible to use the Cunard Building as an embarkation terminal. The main issue seems to be the logistics of linking the building with the dock while maintaining border security.

Yes, most of us who know the location well realised when this was first proposed that it was a no goer.

Even if the building was used and a secure way found to get passengers and luggage securely to the ship, another building would be needed dockside to load passengers, avoiding the present access at virtually water level.

Tthe present empty space in the building could always be used to house another museum though,

David.

Edited by balf

It would be great to sail from Liverpool but as already has been mentioned, most of the main buildings are a five to ten minutes walk across the very open space of the riverside area. As Lankylad already mentioned current embarkation is pretty much at sea level involving a steep slope down to the floating quay (where cruise terminal staff were imploring those heading tot he ship to hold on to the hand rail - all well and good if one isn't carrying hand luggage) Additionally there is no opportunity to get large vehicles, supplies or more than a couple of forklift trucks on to the floating gangway to load luggage and supplies whilst mingling with the passengers. To address this in the current location a substantial building would be needed on the quayside which would then probably alter the whole view of the three iconic graces. Furthermore when in Liverpool on 25/26 May the traffic was extremely heavy in the vicinity of the waterfront and if this was to happen each time a liner was in I'd be scared I'd miss the ship.

If Liverpool was to be successful in attracting cruise ships to depart from the city I guess a new terminal would need to be built further north (downstream) away from the city centre