Sony A6000

c230k

Is around Portland where the waterfall(s) were? The missus loves her waterfalls!

We took a drive south about 25 miles to Silver Falls state park one day and then east along the Columbia Gorge on another. If your wife likes waterfalls, it's a target rich environment!

Dave

Lesson #1 - DO NOT WASH YOUR NP-FW50 BATTERY ALONG WITH YOUR PANTS!

Lesson #2 - some careful shopping allows you to replace it with a decent aftermarket unit and pick up a new charger. I waited a bit to post this to see if they held a charge and such and so far, they seem to be as solid as the Wasabi brand I picked up a couple of years ago. You get a pretty decent charger with a folding plug, car adapter and a euro-plug adapter along with some other fluff as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXV1IAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Dave

Edited by pierces

Lesson #2 - some careful shopping allows you to replace it with a decent aftermarket unit and pick up a new charger. I waited a bit to post this to see if they held a charge and such and so far, they seem to be as solid as the Wasabi brand I picked up a couple of years ago. You get a pretty decent charger with a folding plug, car adapter and a euro-plug adapter along with some other fluff as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXV1IAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Dave

1. That was an expensive load of laundry!

2. Ironically about a week ago, I bought the Wasabi 2-pack w/wall and car charger, recalling that you had found the batteries to be decent. (They are, although they do lose some of their charge sitting around overnight or so.) The package is $26.99 on Amazon, and the charger looks identical to the Vivitar. (Probably made in the same factory overseas.) [No blower though!]

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-SLT-A55V-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX10/dp/B0049WBZEK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439845098&sr=8-5&keywords=wasabi+battery

This is a great tread with everything A6000 so I will post here instead of starting a new.

Just got a Metz 44 flash with the Sony shoe,

Brand new batteries in the flash, Setting on single shot,

It flashes once then I have eto turn it off and on to make it flash again.

Also, the flash itself is way less that what I get from the build in flash.

Leaving for Europe this weekend, and do not know it is worth it to bring the flash along,- what a bummer.

Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions.

Thanks

This is a great tread with everything A6000 so I will post here instead of starting a new.

Just got a Metz 44 flash with the Sony shoe,

Brand new batteries in the flash, Setting on single shot,

It flashes once then I have eto turn it off and on to make it flash again.

Also, the flash itself is way less that what I get from the build in flash.

Leaving for Europe this weekend, and do not know it is worth it to bring the flash along,- what a bummer.

Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions.

Thanks

It sounds like the flash might be set on manual and something like 1/32 power. If it isn't set to TTL and the camera isn't set to Manual control for flash (unlikely since it's not the default) check that the foot is seated all the way before you tighten it. The multi-interface shoe has a couple extra contacts and you might be just getting the metering pre-flash.

Just a few guesses. There was zip on the web about this kind of problem.

Dave

Hired professionals to kill the hive last week

, but they wanted $700 to remove the hive, I have been slowly cutting away and last night I exposed the honeycomb, tired I went to bed and early this morning I went out to remove the beast but I had several hundred robber bees, so I have spend the day spraying them with soapy water and should be able to remove it tonight.

last night it was beautiful dripping honey and all, I really wanted the early morning sun highlighting the honeycomb but yall got the washed out picture.

John

Dave

Thats what my wife bought me instead of Wasbies, since Vivitar is a name brand, No problem that I can tell, haven't use the car charger yet.

John

This is the first electronic device in a looooong time where I bit the bullet and bought a factory Sony backup battery rather than a third party one. I seem to be very adept and finding the duds out there...

This is the first electronic device in a looooong time where I bit the bullet and bought a factory Sony backup battery rather than a third party one. I seem to be very adept and finding the duds out there...

Early on, I bought a Sony battery as the main backup. I've added two Wasabis as I noted. I think one of the Sonys doesn't perform as well as it should. So far, the Wasabis are doing well. Normally, I only buy the name brand, but Dave reported good things about the Wasabis, so I decided to try them.

Sadly the washed-up (pun intended) battery was one of the original or backup Sonys. The good news is than after a little over a week of fully-charged storage the one Vivitar still shows 100% and the one in the camera with some normal weekly usage and left on in sleep mode as a test, still shows 82%.

Also picked up a Sony ADPMAA adapter so I can use my HVL-F43AM flash on the A6000. It works as advertised I may pick up a smaller unit later since even without batteries, the flash masses almost exactly as much as the A6000.

Off topic(-ish) pondering: I have been reading a lot about the A7rII this last week as the reviews roll in and am having pangs of serious Gear Envy for the first time in quite a while. The fairly disruptive technology in the new flagship makes it look like sticking with Sony when they absorbed Minolta's camera division was a good choice after all and bodes very well for the potential of the next E-mount APS-C camera. All of this E-mount goodness is making the future of the A-mount look fragile but with the new camera's ability to use any A-mount lens via an adapter, at least the lenses won't go to waste. I have already decided to move any future investment to the E-mount and keep waffling about whether to keep my A77. Looking at the new camera has had another effect on my thinking. I have a pretty good selection of APS-C lenses and have decided that unless they release a really good normal zoom, I will be looking at FE lenses for any future additions. Just in case...right?

Happy shooting!

Dave

Let the angst begin...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-new-e-mount-camera-coming-soon/

This means a couple of things to me:

My search for a second body to replace the late but great NEX-7 may soon be over. (I may still buy an A6000 as a second body for the upcoming trip if the price is too high or the improvements are not worth the bump.)

It also means that if you have been tempted to move to the e-mount, the path forward for the e-mount is looking pretty darn shiny. A side benefit may be that the A6000 is likely to drop in price. So....

It's a great time to be a photographer.

Dave

Edited by pierces

My New England cruise is just a couple of weeks away. So I sold my A5100 and bought A6000 for my second camera. On one will have my 10-18mm and the 18-105mm on the other, that should cover my tour cameras. Have the RX100 for interior shots and do not laugh, taking my Sony HX90V along for walk long range shots. While cruising will use Panasonic FZ70 superzoom for balcony shots. Had to have one none Sony camera lol.

Dave have a GREAT cruise and lots of pics !!!!!!!

Tom :cool:

Edited by c230k

Let the angst begin...

My search for a second body to replace the late but great NEX-7 may soon be over.

Dave

You might save your $$ for this;

"The successor of Sony NEX-7 is going to be the Sony NEX-7R mirrorless camera. Previously Sony NEX-7 replacement specs also leaked from several sources. Sony NEX-7 replacement to come with a new image sensor and electronic viewfinder. The Sony NEX-7 mirrorless camera is currently priced for $1,098 at Amazon.

Sony NEX-7 replacement camera will feature a new 24.3-megapixel image sensor with a new 5-axis SteadyShot image stabilization system, that will provide a 4-stop shake reduction, WiFi, electronicviewfinder, ISO up to 25,600, a new tilting 3.2 inch LCD screen with a resolution of 1.08-million dots.

The image sensor will be an APS-C unit capable of capturing photos at 6000 x 4000 resolution. Sony NEX-7 replacement rumored to come bundled with a new Zeiss 16-80mm f/2.8-4 lens in order to provide high image quality."

You might save your $$ for this;

"The successor of Sony NEX-7 is going to be the Sony NEX-7R mirrorless camera. Previously Sony NEX-7 replacement specs also leaked from several sources. Sony NEX-7 replacement to come with a new image sensor and electronic viewfinder. The Sony NEX-7 mirrorless camera is currently priced for $1,098 at Amazon.

Sony NEX-7 replacement camera will feature a new 24.3-megapixel image sensor with a new 5-axis SteadyShot image stabilization system, that will provide a 4-stop shake reduction, WiFi, electronicviewfinder, ISO up to 25,600, a new tilting 3.2 inch LCD screen with a resolution of 1.08-million dots.

The image sensor will be an APS-C unit capable of capturing photos at 6000 x 4000 resolution. Sony NEX-7 replacement rumored to come bundled with a new Zeiss 16-80mm f/2.8-4 lens in order to provide high image quality."

Add to the rumor a (still) 24MP BSI sensor with higher frame readout speed and improved hybrid autofocus and we have another winner from Sony!

I doubt that the model will be any version of "NEX". Sony officially abandoned it with the release of the A3000. More likely would be an A6100 if it is an upgraded A6000 or A7000 if it is ruggedized and weather resistant like the NEX-7.

The rumors indicate that the new zoom may be weather-resistant as well.

What's awesome about this rumor is that if it turns out to be someone's fever dream and nothing shows up in time, my it-all-went-to-hell escape plan leaves me with a gem like the A6000 as my backup camera! :)

Dave

my it-all-went-to-hell escape plan leaves me with a gem like the A6000 as my backup camera! :)

Dave

Still got my NEX7 as the backup to the A6000!

What I would like to see in a successor to the A6000 is a silent or less "clacky" shutter and a 180-degree LCD!