Sony A6000

c230k

fitted all the way 👍

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Nice depth of field on the shot. Don't know how a kid growing up in the Arizona desert became a Socks fan (at least until my D'Backs came along)...

Fenway is still on the bucket list though...

YOU PEOPLE WILL NOT TEMPT ME WITH YOUR EVIL WAYS!!!

I feel pretty confident that equipment can't improve my efforts anymore than what the a6000 does currently.

It's all up to me at this point.

And man, is it fun trying!!!

T'was a wonderful weekend to have an a6000:

Supervisor checking on the workers:

misc02.jpg

"Hey! Lolligagger! Get a move on!"

misc03.jpg

Thinking a fox - the whole skeleton was there - picked clean:

misc05.jpg

Catchin' some rays:

misc06.jpg

misc20.jpg

You folks are putting some great stuff up here! Real testament to the capability of the A6000 (not to mention the operators!)

I felt left out...

Just after dawn this morning (they close up a first touch of sunlight)

1/400 - f/2.8 - ISO1000 - SEL5018

p1435991484-5.jpg

Grand-nephew abstract from weekend gatherings

1/80 - f/2.2 - ISO2500 - SEL5018

p1435991511-5.jpg

Baby blackberries from our garden

1/160- f/8 - ISO250 - Minolta 100mm Macro - 8-image focus stack

p1433777667-5.jpg

I worry less and less about the next model...

Dave

The manual assist/override to the auto focusing is so handy! When shooting through the grass or next to trees I could just override the autofocus and nail the subject (if they held still long enough).

I don't have the camera with me, but how do you have the settings for it?

I have to push the shutter halfway, then while trying to hold it there, turn the focus ring - which activates the super zoom to help with eyeballing the focus.

It's tricky for me to do that dance - is there a way of setting the camera up so either it will autozoom without pressing and holding the shutter button first? Or is there some other way to make the juggling of holding subject, half pressing the shutter, then manually focusing as quickly as I can - any easier?

One thing you can do is decouple the focus from the shutter button. A lot of folks like to use back-button focus, sticking focus control on the rear central button - it is a little easier to hold that focus button down with your thumb while turning the DMF ring on the lens to fine tune, and still have the finger hovering over the shutter to take the shot when wanted.

I don't use DMF much - I've always been more into just using the smaller focus points needed and using AF all the time to lock in whatever subject I need - if I'm threading through tight branches or leaves, I just reduce the spot focus point size which lets me thread right through and focus on the subject I intend. But back-button focus would probably be my preferred setup if I intended to use DMF often, so the shutter is independent from focus and I wouldn't have to try to hold a half-press shutter while dialing in the manual focus fine tuning.

Just after dawn this morning (they close up a first touch of sunlight)

1/400 - f/2.8 - ISO1000 - SEL5018

p1435991484-5.jpg

I worry less and less about the next model...

Dave

That picture above - terrific!

The more I use the A6000, the less I look forward to its replacement!

Well I've neglected to share any shots from my A6000, and I'm feeling like I'm falling behind with everyone else's photos here. So here are some of my recent shots with the A6000 too, with the lovely FE70-200mm F4 lens:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Great photos, you guys! Zackie, the colors of that lizard are amazing; a fabulous image. And Dave, I love your little guy's toes. (No offense to anyone intended of course by my singling out a couple of shots. :))

Since flowers and flying things seem to be a theme, I'll share this:

Black%20butterfly%20amp%20flower%202%201024x951_zpsy4hqohpd.jpg

But I am really enjoying getting familiar with my new Rokinon 12 mm lens (and my first time using a manual focus lens).

Colonnade_zpsglrqfnql.jpg

I broke down and finally got the A6000 with the 2 lens kit. My Olympus E-M10 just wasn't getting the job done for action and lowlight shots.

Best Buy had it for $749, about $100 lower than usual. I've been checking Gary Fong's Youtube videos and some others. Now to scope out some decent prime lenses.

I'll post some pictures later.

Edited by robjan245

I broke down and finally got the A6000 with the 2 lens kit. My Olympus E-M10 just wasn't getting the job done for action and lowlight shots.

Best Buy had it for $749, about $100 lower than usual. I've been checking Gary Fong's Youtube videos and some others. Now to scope out some decent prime lenses.

Congrats, the camera will really change your outlook of taking pictures, its a joy!!!

John

Welcome to the A6000 club and learning center.

Never really care for taking videos, but thought it was time to give it a go. The A6000 and my 18-105mm take GREAT video.

Took video in MP4 and AVCHD format, both look about the same. After a little playing around found out that AVCHD will not transfer to my IPAD and MP4 will, is that right or ?

Getting ready for a New England Cruise and thought it would be fun to take some video and of course want to back all pic and videos to my iPad Mini. Decided to use the mini has my backup and viewing (showing off lol).

Glad I check video format for transfer.

Tom

Congrats! It's a really wonderful camera.

Okay guys living in AZ I don't have much experience shooting in severe overcast/rain, and of course my cruise next week going down western Caribbean will have a good chance of everyday wetness. What settings would y'all use or just go auto?

John

PS just ordered some OP Tech rainsleeves (small)

Welcome to the A6000 club and learning center.

Never really care for taking videos, but thought it was time to give it a go. The A6000 and my 18-105mm take GREAT video.

Took video in MP4 and AVCHD format, both look about the same. After a little playing around found out that AVCHD will not transfer to my IPAD and MP4 will, is that right or ?

Getting ready for a New England Cruise and thought it would be fun to take some video and of course want to back all pic and videos to my iPad Mini. Decided to use the mini has my backup and viewing (showing off lol).

Glad I check video format for transfer.

Tom

You need a converter such as this to watch avchd video:

http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/play-avchd-on-ipad.htm

Okay guys living in AZ I don't have much experience shooting in severe overcast/rain, and of course my cruise next week going down western Caribbean will have a good chance of everyday wetness. What settings would y'all use or just go auto?

John

PS just ordered some OP Tech rainsleeves (small)

I have mine set to A mode, AWB and DRO Level 2 about 99% of the time. The temp slider in Lightroom substitutes for the "Cloudy" WB setting very nicely.

A6000 JPEGs are quite adjustable.

Dave

A couple of weeks ago I got some great advice here about selling my a6000 on eBay because I wanted to move away from the interchangeable lenses...replacing it with the Sony RX100m4. Before I listed it, I went and looked at the m4 and...wow...it's really small. I came to the realization again that the a6000 is the perfect size camera...so...I'm keeping it and just have to overcome my irrational fear of changing lenses. :)

Yesterday I went to a photographer's meetup event at a cool old location called Preston Castle, with the Sony 50mm and the Sigma 19mm...and a goal to change them! I brought my daughter along as my model and stayed far away from the real photographers with their intimidating, and heavy, Nikon and Canon gear...and, managed to get some shots that I'm happy with. I even changed the lens.

Here's a couple with the 50mm.

Kelsey%204e.jpg

Kelsey%205a.jpg

And one with the 19mm.

DSC01732a.jpg

I'm sure they're completely wrong in exposure and technique...but, that wasn't my goal...I changed the lens! it was a fun learning experience.

Thanks again for all the great advice and thank you for letting me share my minor success with my a6000.

Sharon

Sharon I am sure after you saw those shots you were very pleased. You did great, you just need to continue with what you started. Go somewhere with a couple of lens and play. The zoo can be a great place to bring various lens and see how easy it is, just remember a question not asked is never answered.

John

Edited by wmjivey
Grammar

Sharon I am sure after you saw those shots you were very pleased. You did great, you just need to continue with what you started. Go somewhere with a couple of lens and play. The zoo can be a great place to bring various lens and see how easy it is, just remember a question not asked is never answered.

John

Thanks, John. That's a great suggestion to go to the zoo. There's one nearby that I haven't been to in years.

Thanks again.

Sharon, check out Zackiedawg and Pierces photo sites (they are on this thread), you can't do what these guys do with a P&S. Most of their shots are what you did with your daughter, taking pictures on things you love.

John

I'm sure they're completely wrong in exposure and technique...but, that wasn't my goal...I changed the lens! it was a fun learning experience.

Thanks again for all the great advice and thank you for letting me share my minor success with my a6000.

Sharon

They are very nice shots and you like them...that's what I refer to as good technique. As to the exposure, the first one is a little bright on one side but in no way "ruined". It falls well within the range of personal taste and you need to learn the first rule of photography: When you intentionally or accidentally exceed the limits of the sensor/film to record a scene...claim "Artistic License" and make up a artsy explanation of why you did it!! :)

Seriously though, the images are quite good. Keep having fun with your camera!

Dave