Ultimate Beverage Package now $68 service charge

As much as you despise NCL, you might want to cancel any upcoming cruises you have with them. Penalty losses be damned, you are just going to be miserable and possibly affect others around you.

HAHA, mama didn't raise no fool. I don't waste money and cancelling a cruise 20 days out would certainly be a waste. Luckily it will be my first time in Alaska so I'm sure the scenery will distract me enough from having to be on an NCL ship to make the cruise passable.

Now, if you or one of the other cheerleaders is offering to make up the loss then we could probably work something out. ;)

Good thing for you, after this cruise my sailing days on NCL are done and unlike some trolls out there, I don't frequent the boards of cruise lines that I don't sail so at least you have something to look forward to as do I with my upcoming CCL and RCCL cruises. :)

HAHA, mama didn't raise no fool. I don't waste money and cancelling a cruise 20 days out would certainly be a waste. Luckily it will be my first time in Alaska so I'm sure the scenery will distract me enough from having to be on an NCL ship to make the cruise passable.

Now, if you or one of the other cheerleaders is offering to make up the loss then we could probably work something out. ;)

Good thing for you, after this cruise my sailing days on NCL are done and unlike some trolls out there, I don't frequent the boards of cruise lines that I don't sail so at least you have something to look forward to as do I with my upcoming CCL and RCCL cruises. :)

And I'm sure you'll be complaining about Carnival & Royal's cutbacks, lack of service, and high speciality prices just as much as NCL - That's what they complain about on the forums anyway aka same old, same old.*shrug*

PS -No, I would not reimburse you since that what 'cancel anytime' insurance is for - for situations like this.[emoji2]

Edited by maywell

Good answer. Some people feel that valid complaints are whining. I wish they would understand that defending the lousy policies of a large corporation isn't really in their best interests.

Good answer. Some people feel that valid complaints are whining. I wish they would understand that defending the lousy policies of a large corporation isn't really in their best interests.

When there's no fix /solution that is satisfactory to you that you think a company didn't solve especially when its a fundamental rule changer /breaker - that's when you bounce/leave. Yes, it is that simple - has nothing to do with defending a company or a policy, has everything to do to what"s a major issue to a person.

Given that cruise lines can add fees any time they want, yes, they can make the gratuities retroactive to people who booked before the new charges take effect.

There is absolutely zero evidence that this has ever happened has ever been considered or will ever happen going forward.

But don't let facts stop you... go ahead and say whatever you want.

UK bookers with free UBP still has service charge included.

Applicable to first and second person on the reservation only. Additional guests can purchase the Ultimate Beverage Package at their discretion. Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the ultimate beverage package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package. Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $11. Includes fountain soda and juice, Non-alcoholic beer is included. Ultimate beverage package option includes 18% gratuity on the package. A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board, Applicable taxes, US and VAT may apply based on certain destinations. Does not apply to the Ice Bars. Variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer over $11. Does not include room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

I am trying to understand why people are complaining about having to pay a gratuity on a promotion. Don't take it then.

Some people would complain when they win a $100 million dollar lottery and then discover it's paid out over 20 years.

Some people would complain when they win a $100 million dollar lottery and then discover it's paid out over 20 years.

Umm, there's people that complain that winning $100 million dollar lottery like it was worst thing ever. I would love to know to see how bad winning that is over 20 years or lump sum after taxes.....

Umm, there's people that complain that winning $100 million dollar lottery like it was worst thing ever. I would love to know to see how bad winning that is over 20 years or lump sum after taxes.....

Hardly anyone take's the 20 year payment due to inflation. Unusually in a lump sum the winnings is just a little over half of the jack pot.

The majority winners who complain live in places where they disclose the winners so they get harassed by relatives and people they don't even know looking for hand outs, that or they are people who have no money management skills and run through the money in no time flat. I live in a state that does not disclose the winner. We had someone who won part of a major Mega Millions Jackpot, the only thing we ever knew was where they bought the ticket and that they showed up at the lottery office with 2 accountants and 5 lawyers so they were one of the smart winners!

Anyhow this thread digressing..

There's always bickering on message boards from regular posters no matter what site, what the topic is, people are people. I didn't see this thread as a "complaint" about paying a gratuity, I am glad to be informed of policy changes like that. Not every thing someone says about their experience is a "complaint". That's the funny thing about reading a message board... no tone.

I appreciate everyone sharing all the details, good, bad, indifferent.

I am trying to understand why people are complaining about having to pay a gratuity on a promotion. Don't take it then.

I agree. It's a promotion and they can make any rules they want with it. It does not have to be the same as one they offered before if they don't want to. I still think a week of beverages for $68 is a good deal.

Have fun on crappy Cruise Line ( CCL ) with the screaming whining kids and the less than amateurish productions. just remember when you pay less you get less

I went on NCLs website to see how they could compare to our Baltic cruise we have booked next year on RCCL. The price is actually the only line I have found that can compete BUT it is a 9 day verses 12 day cruise that we have on RCCL. They still hit the same amount of stops (slightly varied, though) but RC throws in 4 sea days while NCL only has 2, one at the beginning and one at the end. I like having the extra breaks in there to relax, it is vacation, afterall. The UBP was really making me consider the switch but then with the almost $200 service charge and it suddenly wasn't much of a perk. It would easily be a big perk if we were big drinkers but we are not, we would have just enjoyed not having to worry about running up a bar tab but I don't know that I would drink even $100 worth of drinks on such a port intensive cruise. Then I throw in the cost for room service and I decided to stick with RC. If we were limited on vacation days then NCL would definitely be our go to. I will keep my eye on the prices, if they fall and keep the UBP as a choice then we may switch at some point before final payment.

The complaint is not valid, the deal is still really good. some people just aren't happy unless they find something to complain about it's sad really. I hope I'm not on a cruise with any people like that, I cruise to have fun not to find reasons to complain. the complainers got to be people north of 40.