Giant Causeway

maximus217

I can't say which one is better but my recollection is that it took us about an hour to get to the Causeway from Belfast on our private tour about 10 years ago.

It looks like I never got around to doing my diary for that day so I'm going by memory. I also recall two short stops on the way.

Mura

Hi,

Greencastle/Londonderry is a good bit closer to the Giants causeway, but it's a lovely drive either way, so you can't go that wrong. I went from Belfast, and we got to stop off at a distillery along the way, as well as doing a tour in Belfast.

x

We noticed that Oceania is offering the Giant Causeway Tour iin Londonderry (Greencastle) and in Belfast. Can someone tell us which port is better to see the Giant Causeway?

Thank you.

We live in Northern Ireland and would definitely recommend a visit to the Giant's Causeway. Londonderry would be a bit closer but there is not much in it. The North Coast is very scenic but I suspect tour buses will use main roads. I would base your decision on what else you want to see in either port.

I agree that the drive from Belfast was a beautiful one. Not being sure of the comparative driving times, I wouldn't know what to say as to which is preferable.

Our Belfast tour (again, NOT a ship's tour so I don't know how the visits compare) included the drive up to the Causeway, enough time there to have a lovely lunch and plenty of time to walk around. Then a drive back to Belfast (with scenic stops but no extra visits) and an excellent tour of Belfast with free time at the end for walking around or shopping. We thought it was a great day.

Mura

If you're any kind of a nautical or Ship person, the Titanic Belfast display is an absolute stunner.

_59075658_titanic-belfast-sep2011_002.jpg

Built in the Shipyard, in fact on the slipway from which the original ship was launched in 1912.

Titanic-launch-small.aspx?width=590&height=358

We've all seen the story played out dozens of times, but seeing life sized replicas of Titanics' bow and her rudder show just how massive a 46000 ton Liner that was almost entirely hull and funnels, really was!

195015.jpgoceania-marina-cruise-ship-at-sea.jpg

The Titanic was a hundred feet longer than Marina & Riviera (882 feet vs 782 feet), but the Oceania ships are 13 feet wider than Titanic (92 feet, vs 105 feet).

Still, comparing their sterns with the earlier ship, there is no doubt about it.....

b_171658.jpg

Babys' got BACK.....or "it's all about the bass" as the kids say, today

We were on a land tour of Northern Ireland a few years ago and stopped at Giant's Causeway. For us, it was a giant disappointment, but others may not find it so. We found a lot to do on our own in Londonderry, with the murals being especially interesting. The Titanic Museum didn't exist when we were there, but that is what we'd choose today. Belfast itself is also very interesting. Choose what interests you most in Belfast and Londonderry, to know what you'd be giving up by taking the long trip from either city to Giant's Causeway, which to us is just big piles of stones. Just our opinion. Marlene

Marlene,

Although we very much enjoyed our time at the Causeway I can understand your point of view as well. We all see things differently.

There's nothing wrong in that, and I think it's good that you posted your opinion so that people who are considering going to the Causeway have differing points of view to weigh.

I agree also that Belfast itself is well worth a visit (which we had on our tour).

Mura

O was charging about $350 per person from Belfast. In contrast, the company we used, Belfast City Tours, charged us 35 UK pounds, plus admission to the rope bridge, for a tour that included Giant's Causeway, the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, the Antrim Coastline, and a stop for a meal (at our cost). They met the tour group at the ship, in a four day old bus. This was clearly the best bus trip we had (although some of our private taxi tours were also wonderful). Highly recommended. All at a cost of under $150, including meals, for two.

Both of us loved the Causeway, which is a unique place. I (Joe) was one of the few people to take the long walk, with aver 100 steps each way, to the rope bridge, which I found to be even more awesome than the Causeway. For those who didn't cross the bridge, there was still a glorious piece of coastline.

Like JoanandJoe we also took a private tour to Giants Causeway with a visit to the Carrick A Rede rope bridge. It was more inclusive than the O tour and much cheaper. The rope bridge was quite an experience. Some tours only gave you a far away look at the bridge while our tour allowed us to walk to the bridge and cross it. We still think of that tour as one of our all time best.