Driving from Seattle to Vancouver - Bad Idea?

We are leaving on a R/T Vancouver cruise next May. We will be flying in and out of Seatac b/c we have our flights covered with Southwest. Looking at our options my thoughts are to rent a car and drive to Vancouver rather than Amtrack or the Quick Shuttle. It seems to be faster and we can come & go as we please instead of waiting for the schedules of the other two options. Has anyone done this and what was your experience? Any thoughts on why this would not be the best option?

It's done all the time. I assume you're looking at two one-way rentals; with the high one-way rates (either a high daily rate or big one-way drop fee) keeping the car parked for a week while you cruise would cost a ton, vs. two one- or two-day rentals.

There are a couple of alternative routes (alternative to the straight shot up I-5 to the border) if you don't mind taking a few hours longer to get to Vancouver. (This assumes you're not planning on driving up the morning of your departure day.)

My favorite - a full but very rewarding day - is to drive north from the airport to the little town of Mukilteo, around 40 min. north of the airport, and take the ferry to Whidbey Island. (If you have LOTS of time, you can stop for a tour of the Boeing widebody assembly plant in Everett - home of the big jets - and the biggest building in the world. It's right on the road to Mukilteo.)

Travel the length of Whidbey Island, stopping at the pretty communities of Langley and Coupeville, maybe a piece of pie at the Greenbank Farm, and visit Deception Pass, a glorious narrow channel between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands. During tide changes the current through the pass (visible from the bridges above or beaches below) is amazing.

From Deception Pass SR 20 returns to the mainland (bridge, not ferry) and re-joins I-5 near Burlington, WA, from which it's around 45 min. to the border. You will probably have a 30-60 min. wait at the border, then it's freeway to the Vancouver city limits. Piece of cake.

We live in the area and are planning to do the same thing with a one-way car rental, especially since the Amtrak rates on our day have skyrocketed with the Women's World Cup in Vancouver. The drive up to Vancouver is easy and straightforward if you want it to be quick.

Gardyloo has some great suggestions about a more leisurely, scenic drive. If you decide to go with that option, I'd head for Chuckanut Drive after Deception Pass. It's a nice, pretty coastal drive with some twists and turns. Then, pop onto I5 in Bellingham and it's a quick drive to the border.

Ok....so this sounds like it could work. I am planning on two 1 way trips as opposed to renting a car for the full week. Any suggestions on where we can pick the car up after the cruise? Would rather not have to pick up at the Vancouver airport but not sure if there are other options available? Thanks again!

Ok....so this sounds like it could work. I am planning on two 1 way trips as opposed to renting a car for the full week. Any suggestions on where we can pick the car up after the cruise? Would rather not have to pick up at the Vancouver airport but not sure if there are other options available? Thanks again!

Thrifty and Alamo/National have stations right at Canada Place; Hertz, Avis, Dollar and others are within a few blocks.

Agree on the Chuckanut Drive option (SR 11) - which can also include a stop in Fairhaven, Bellingham's pretty historic district.

We locals have made the trek numerous times; a very easy, straightforward drive. On weekends, esp Canada or US holiday weekends the border crossing at Blaine can be very slow. I've waited 10 minutes or I've waited 90 minutes and missed my ferry. So plan on 4 1/2 hrs from SeaTac to the cruise port but hope for 3 hrs.

As for car rentals, the port web sites have info about vendors with kiosks at the pier.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/transportationandparking.aspx

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Explore-Terminals/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by mapleleaves

It tends to be a personal preference, some people just can't be without a car. If you want to arrive in Vancouver very relaxed then the Amtrak or Quick Shuttle is the way to go. I have probably driven back and forth Vancouver/Seattle more than 300 times over the past 40 years but recently we took the Amtrak and found it to be a delightful experience.

If you decide to drive, in May and if you get away early in the morning you should plan that the drive will take between 3.5 and 4.5 hrs depending entirely on the delay at the border...if you arrive on your Memorial Day weekend or our Victoria Day weekend (the weekend before your Memorial Day weekend) all bets are off as to time you may spend at the border.

Once in Vancouver a care is not of a huge benefit, the city is quite car unfriendly and downtown parking can run you $20 per night. So things like tours, HOHOs and even transit tend to work best. If on the other hand you want to take a drive up to Whistler for the day or then a car is a good option but it may prove best to rent a car here for the day.

Some thoughts...

• as mentioned... Alamo/National is the preferred agency with facilities inside the Vancouver terminal.
  • book weeks or months in advance if you want the luggage friendly minivan's
  • which dates are you planning to cross the border.... On the weekends... avoid Northbound in the evening and avoid Southbound in the morning. Especially true on long weekends.
  • which hotel are you planning to stay at.... It may be $30 a day to have a car downtown, but free in suburbs around the airport.

The drive is easy enough. Just follow the I-5 north. It will take maybe 3 hours plus border crossing and allowances for traffic.

Out of curiosity, are you going to return your rental car while cruising, or hold it (and pay for parking) for the 7 days.

I am biased toward renting a car. I love it. But I only rent a car when I know I'm going to get a lot of use out of it.