REVIEW: Radiance of the Seas, Southbound, May 2015

Cruisingthesuitelife

Hi Everyone!

I wasn't sure I was going to do any sort of review until I realised that I received so much useful information from these boards in the planning for my trip that I wanted to give what little information I could to others based on my experiences. This will largely cover destinations and will hardly include any details about Radiance. However, if there are any ship related questions, please ask!

Pre-Cruise Planning

Once I had decided that I wanted to go to Alaska, I spent a lot of time reading past reviews trying to ascertain the best itinerary etc. I am a loyal Royal Caribbean cruiser, so this left me with 2 options for 2015; Radiance or Jewel. I felt I would see more on one of the one way trips and as I didn't have the time for a B2B, I went for the first southbound itinerary of the season. I chose southbound because the main travel would be done before getting on the cruise, meaning I could relax, rather than having all the travelling to do when getting off. This won't work for everyone but worked well and made the most sense for me.

I eagerly (and impatiently) waited for itineraries to be announced. After doing a lot of research, I managed to work out the approximate date of the first southbound. On the day the itineraries were released, I made my booking for for Radiance of the Seas, 22nd May 2015, in February 2014. This gave me what turned out to be by far the lowest price and the exact cabin I wanted.

For me, the next task after booking the cruise was to arrange excursions. By May 2014, I had all my cruise excursions sorted. The pre-cruise contact with each private company was fantastic and I will go into more detail on each as I discuss that port.

After that, I actually then planned what I wanted to do both pre and post cruise. Due to how the main flights worked out, it involved a bit of moving around but this didn’t worry me. The main flights were in to and out of Vancouver. I then had flights from Vancouver to Seattle and Seattle to Anchorage. I did look at the Amtrak between Vancouver and Seattle but the times just didn’t suit. Both 'internal' flights were booked with Alaska Airlines at very reasonable rates around 3 days after prices were released. I had paid attention and noticed that the price dropped 2-3 days after being released. Their low price guarantee also meant that I also managed to get a reduction in the cost of one of the flights and amount to use towards a future flight. It pays to keep checking!

On the day hotel bookings opened for the dates I needed, I booked on the ‘Best Available’ rate and frequently checked back for lower prices. The hotels were Pan Pacific Vancouver, Grand Hyatt Seattle and Holiday Inn Express Seward. The Holiday Inn books well in advance because of the cruise ships, so it is advisable to book as soon as you can.

I booked a car through Hertz one way from Anchorage to Seward. Booking early, as soon as the relevant date was available, also ensured the best rate. I also got a 10% discount through Virgin and earned some miles at the same time! I picked this over the train as the train times didn’t suit with the flights and also, I like to be able to stop where I want and take things at my own pace.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

The Trip Has Arrived - Part 1 - Pre Cruise!

After what felt like eternity, the start of my trip was finally here!

First up was a short stay in Vancouver at the Pan Pacific before flying to Seattle. On arrival at Vancouver International, I decided to use a taxi to get to the hotel. There is a set rate of $35 CAD in operation, excluding gratuity, from the airport to downtown/Canada Place. There are different set rates depending on the area you are going to. I had considered pre-booking a car service but this seemed like an unnecessary expense. The queue for the taxi was long but moved very quickly and was very well organised.

There is no denying that the hotel is convenient for Canada Place, being right above and with direct access to the terminal. Location wise it worked very well. There is an undercover walkway from the hotel ground floor entrance to the Waterfront Food Court across the road. There is also a Starbucks just outside. Tours on the hop on hop off trolley are sold right outside. There is also a free shuttle bus to Capilano Suspension Bridge. Beware, on days when there are cruise ships in, especially multiple ships, this area can become (understandably) very congested. Aside from the location, despite the hotel being nice, I wouldn’t recommend it. It was over-priced for what it was and largely the staff were unfriendly. These issues were addressed at the time and since my stay with the hotel. There were conferences on in the hotel and it was quite busy and the staff seemed unable to cope with it. I also had a stay here after the cruise. I did try and change this to a different hotel but with 10 days until that stay, the rates were too much higher. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, at much more reasonable rates and closer to the main shopping area.

For my trip back to the airport, given the time of my flight, I just used a taxi. It worked out at exactly the same amount as the set rate which I was really pleased about as for trips to the airport there is no set rate. The flight was quick and I was met, as agreed, by a driver from Century Cars in baggage claim. He helped me collect my luggage and we went to the car. The car was clean and comfortable and there was a bottle of water for me. As we drove to the city we talked and he pointed out sights.

The Grand Hyatt is amazing! The friendliest staff, great location and lovely rooms. I was able to check in early and received an upgrade to a Corner Suite – WOW! I didn’t pre-book any tours here as I wasn’t sure how the flights would work out. Once settled in I booked a Duck Tour leaving from Westlake Center for later in the afternoon. The hotel was a few blocks from the tour start location, opposite Macy's. The tour was brilliant! Yes, it is cheesy and jokey but with the outstanding weather and the sides up, the loud music and atmosphere was great. The trip back to the airport was also booked with Century Cars. I would highly recommend them and I would definitely book with them again when I return to Seattle.

The flight to Anchorage was good. What I also like about Alaska Airlines is their guarantee that luggage will be on the belt within 20 minutes of arriving at the gate and if it isn’t they will give you a voucher for $25 or 2,500 miles! It is great not to be hanging around for ages waiting for bags. I took the short walk to the car rental center and straight up to the Hertz desk which is located in a separate building opposite the terminal. It is well sign-posted from arrivals and through a walkway. Despite being a little early there were no issues and the details were explained. The car was a brand new Jeep Cherokee which was fantastic. I loaded up and off I went towards the Seward Highway. If you are in a position to do this drive, I would absolutely say it is a must! Yes, for the large part the scenery is the same as the train but the ability to get out at one of the many pull-ins and spend time watching the wildlife is well worth it.

On the way down I stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. What is lovely is that it is a non-profit organisation that cares for injured animals and if they cannot be released, they are given a home. All the animals are incredibly well cared for and the setting is stunning. Definitely worth a stop.

I arrived at Seward and parked outside the hotel. I was checked in quickly and had a great room with a balcony over-looking the marina on the 3rd floor. I was actually feeling exhausted so after a quick drive around the town, I stopped at Safeway to pick up some dinner so that I could relax in the room.

On the morning of the cruise, I checked out the hotel at 12pm. I had to return the car by 12.30pm, so decided to go past the port and see if I could drop of my luggage. You drive past the terminal entrance and go to a tented area. There was a guy with a clipboard checking names before accepting luggage. I then dropped the car back to Hertz and they took me back to the terminal in their shuttle. It is not a huge distance but it was nice not to have to walk it. I was dropped at the terminal at 12.35pm.

I entered the terminal and was handed a coupon book. I was asked to have my set sail and passport ready. He checked, saw I was in a suite and pointed me to a lady who would direct me to a desk. Check in was empty! I think there was only one other couple checking in at the same time. The staff in the terminal were fantastic and after receiving my seapass and going through security, it was straight onto the ship. The whole process from drop off to getting on the ship took 9 minutes. Rooms were open just before 1pm. I went to find some food and on returning to the cabin at 1.40pm, my suitcase had appeared, so I was unpacked by 2pm! Easily, the best embarkation I have ever had.

The Trip Has Arrived - Part 2 - On The Cruise!

Hubbard Glacier

I have read a few reports of cruises around the same time that couldn’t get in because of the fog. The initial entry into Disenchantment Bay was clear but the fog soon started closing in. However, our determined Captain said he would take it easy and go as far as he could. We made it all the way to the glacier and between fog banks got some views before a hasty exit as the fog was getting worse.

Juneau

I booked a whale watching trip with Harv & Marv’s. I have mentioned on other posts my recommendation for them; they are superb. Pre-cruise communication was fantastic with plenty of information being provided. Day started by meeting Sarah at 9.20am. As they have a few smaller boats (max 6 passengers on each), we waited until everyone was there and were then told which boat we would be on. We had 2 other pick–ups from other ships and then started the approx. 20/25 minute drive to the marina with John. He gave an overview of the area, points of interest and the history. We were met at the marina by our Captains and given the opportunity to use proper facilities before getting on the boat. We had Captain Alex who was outstanding. He really cared about doing a good job and making sure we had the best day possible. We saw a lot of whale activity, a breach and a lot of sealions. At the end, John picked us back up and took us to Mendenhall Glacier for a 20 minute photo stop. We could have stayed there and made our own way back or he was happy to drop people anywhere in town or back at the ship.

I had wanted to do the Mount Roberts Tram but I will be back next year so will leave it for that trip!

Skagway

I had a short trip booked through Royal Caribbean called ‘To The Summit!’. It was a fantastic tour to Summit Lake and back in under 2 hours. Our driver, part of the Skagway Streetcar Company was called Pete and was phenomenal. There were a couple of photo stops and a lot of history and information on the area given. Pete was happy to answer any questions we had. On the way back we were lucky enough to see a black bear beside the road. Pete stopped briefly so everyone could see. Once back in town he was happy to drop people in town or take us back to the dock. I chose to get off in town and go to a few shops. There is a SMART bus that goes around town and drops at the docks which is $2 for a single ride or $5 for all day. Well worth it for where Radiance was docked as this was quite a walk.

Icy Strait Point

I had pre-booked here with Glacier Winds. Teresa and Shawn are a husband and wife team with one 6 passenger private boat. Pre-cruise communication with Teresa was wonderful and by the time it got to the trip I felt like they were old friends. Shawn is a local to the Hoonah area so his knowledge is fantastic. Teresa met us near the dock and drove us to the marina in Honnah around 1 mile away. Again, we saw a lot of whale activity but also sealions and bald eagles. Teresa picked us up at the end of the trip, took us on a small tour of Hoonah and gave us time to look around a local carving project. She happily took the group back to port or would have dropped us so we could walk part the way if we had wanted.

Ketchikan

After a few busy days it was nice to have a slower start. I only had the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show booked. I walked off late morning and took the opportunity to walk along the piers and through the shops before going to the show. Again, another cheesy show but there is no denying the skills of the lumberjacks. It was great fun. After this, I walked up to and through Creek Street before slowly walking back to the ship.

I can't wait to hear more! I also booked the day the cruises opened up to get the room I wanted and the price has only gone up since. Out of curiosity, what room did you book? I booked 8088 which is one of the ones with the huge balcony that costs the same as the regular ones. I wanted to book a Southbound too for the same reason but the other couple traveling with us couldn't go on the dates we wanted so we had to change to Northbound.

The Trip Has Arrived - Part 3 - Post Cruise!

For the first time ever I chose express walk off. Getting a lift to get off the ship was by far the hardest part. In the end it was easier to go up to come back down! There was no queue to get off the ship and we were straight into the terminal. Despite no luggage tags numbers being called, there were people waiting for bags and not many bags there. I walked straight past, handed my form in and went straight out. Despite a few mis-directions from terminal staff, I managed to find my way past the buses and there was a lift up into the Pan Pacific.

I had a city tour of Vancouver booked with Landsea Tours. Sadly, this trip wasn’t what I had hoped and I would not recommend the company. The driver was surly, negative and quite rude. The timing of the stops seemed odd; giving us the same time for looking at Lions Gate Bridge as we had to get into, look around and out of the Vancouver Lookout. The stop in Granville Island was short due to traffic congestion which is apparently common. I think just extending the tour by 30 minutes would really help ease time pressures. I didn’t feel that I got to see the best aspects on Vancouver. A much better and more reasonable option would be a hop on hop off tour.

Because of how the trip had gone, before going to the airport to fly home, I arranged a car through Aerocar for 3 hours ending at the airport. The driver was so lovely. He spent 10 minutes off the clock planning the trip with me and working out exactly what I wanted to see and where I wanted to stop. He made his own recommendations too and I had an amazing tour of the city finishing at the airport. This was a much better way to end my wonderful trip and filled a long period between check out of the hotel and check in for my flight!

The Trip Is Over

I have been home just under a week and I cannot believe all those months and months of planning for the trip is over.

It was, without doubt, the most incredible trip I have done. I would recommend it to anyone. I took some convincing initially because I am not a huge nature person. However, during the planning and trip, I developed such an appreciation for nature and the world around us.

I was blessed with 2 weeks of incredible weather. Yes, there was fog in Hubbard Glacier and a couple of cloudier days but not one drop of rain! I had packed for every eventuality except sunshine and that is what I had 2 weeks of - no complaints here though!

I always said this was a once in a lifetime trip... How naive was I?! I will be back to some parts next year and will aim to do the B2B from Vancouver to Seward and back in a few years time.

I am not posting any photos but if there is anything someone wants to specifically see, I would be happy to see what I have and post for you.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to ask anything!

I can't wait to hear more! I also booked the day the cruises opened up to get the room I wanted and the price has only gone up since. Out of curiosity, what room did you book? I booked 8088 which is one of the ones with the huge balcony that costs the same as the regular ones. I wanted to book a Southbound too for the same reason but the other couple traveling with us couldn't go on the dates we wanted so we had to change to Northbound.

Thanks for reading :)

I booked Grand Suite 1060 for the large balcony! 8088 looks like it is in a great location and believe me, the extra balcony size is well worth it! It was nice to have such a great view and in the fewer chiller moments be slightly more sheltered.

The northbound is no doubt just as great as southbound and I know you will have a great time. I will look to do the B2B in the future, as there is so much more in every port that I could see and do.

Great review. We have a couple of the same excursions booked. Nice to hear your perspective.

Did you by any chance keep the cruise compasses? We are southbound in August and it would be helpful for scheduling purposes.

Great review. We have a couple of the same excursions booked. Nice to hear your perspective.

Did you by any chance keep the cruise compasses? We are southbound in August and it would be helpful for scheduling purposes.

Thank you.

If you want any more information about the excursions, I would be happy to provide more details :)

Unfortunately, I did not keep any of the compasses. I can try and remember when things were on but I can't make any promises! Sorry!

Oh no! We are staying at the Pan Pacific, and we are doing the tour of Vancouver by Land & Sea. Did you at least have enough time at Granville Island to grab some lunch? So you were disappointed in the Pan? We have a corner room booked. Hoping for a nice view. You mentioned the walkway to the food court. Did you go over to the food court? Did it feel safe?

Thank you for your review. We had our once in a lifetime trip to Alaska in 2011 and now we are going back. :-)

Edited by Cheryl H

Oh no! We are staying at the Pan Pacific, and we are doing the tour of Vancouver by Land & Sea. Did you at least have enough time at Granville Island to grab some lunch? So you were disappointed in the Pan? We have a corner room booked. Hoping for a nice view. You mentioned the walkway to the food court. Did you go over to the food court? Did it feel safe?

Thank you for your review. We had our once in a lifetime trip to Alaska in 2011 and now we are going back. :-)

The Pan Pacific is a lovely hotel. I had a Premier Corner room with a lovely view over the harbour to the north and could see Lions Gate Bridge and Stanley Park. The first stay I was on the 15th floor (1516 I think) and the second stay 11th floor (1116 I think). The bed was easily the most comfortable I have ever slept on, I mean WOW! The first thing for me was that I could everything going on in the next room... When the TV was on, when they coughed, sneezed, opened a drawer. I sort of expect that from a cheaper hotel, not this one. My other disappointment was the attitude of the staff over certain things. I just felt that for what was offered and the way the stay went it was over-priced and compared to rates booking closer to the stay, I got what I considered a great deal. I truly hope you feel differently.

The foodcourt was great. The reception of the hotel is essentially on the 2nd floor. Take the elevator or escalator to the ground floor. Straight ahead is the exit to outside or to the right is a more open inside area. If you go slightly right there is a sign to the foodcourt. Steps going down and an escalator back up. At the bottom it is such a short walk (less than 30 seconds?!) and down 2 more steps until you are there. I felt perfectly safe going back and forth. There are several places to eat and a few other shops. If you don't want to use the walkway you can go outside, look diagonally right, cross over and down some steps is one of the external entrances to it! Super easy!

The tour would have been great but the driver did ruin it somewhat. She got into an argument with one of the other guests about how Russia handled the Olympics... This happened whilst she was driving and she just carried on. After this, she hit a corner very hard and started complaining about other drivers. I tried to look past that but after 4 hours of listening to her go on and on complaining it did drag me down too.

When it came to Granville Island, as they operate a one way system, things can get congested. It is clearly very popular and incredibly busy. We were given 30 minutes which sounds long enough but with queues everywhere it wasn't easy. As she let the group off she said go 'that way' and drove off. My tip is if they drop you off near the cement factory, keep walking down that road. On the corner on the left is a restaurant with outdoor seating. Cross over from that and into a blueish coloured building. In here there are several food options that also offer takeaway. Sadly, I didn't find it until it was too late but this looked like the best option. Hopefully with a different driver or a better day you will enjoy the tour, it just didn't suit me.

Alaska truly did grab me and I can't wait to go back. It's an itinerary I would happily repeat over and over again!!

If I can help with anything else, please let me know :)

I'm glad to hear you had a great vacation, thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have to agree with you regarding the Pan Pacific --- we have stayed there a few times --- loved the hotel itself --- the staff not so much.

I'm glad to hear you had a great vacation, thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have to agree with you regarding the Pan Pacific --- we have stayed there a few times --- loved the hotel itself --- the staff not so much.

You're welcome.

It is a shame that you found the same at Pan Pacific but it has helped me feel a little easier saying what I did so thank you.

By any chance, did you try the Pan Pacific swimming pool while you were there? Was it chilly?

I didn't I'm afraid... Didn't realise the fantastic weather it would end up being! However, there were a lot of people using it over the days I was there so I assume it was quite nice!

So you mentioned the bluish building at Granville Island.....is that the building that says Public Market? I'm looking at a map so I can be familiar before our driver lets us out also. Wonder if we shouldn't just take a cab out to Granville the evening before our cruise so we can walk around at our leisure before this city tour drops us off to fend for ourselves.

just finished reading your review!

sounds like a lovely trip!!

i'm in the last preparations....clothing....we don't have any cold weather clothing (alaskan summer weather is much colder than our normal winter)...

i still need to buy rain gear, gloves/hat...hopefully, we'll luck out and have a dry heat wave our week and the clothes will go to waste!!!! :)

thanks for taking the time to share your report!!

Thanks for reading :)

I booked Grand Suite 1060 for the large balcony! 8088 looks like it is in a great location and believe me, the extra balcony size is well worth it! It was nice to have such a great view and in the fewer chiller moments be slightly more sheltered.

The northbound is no doubt just as great as southbound and I know you will have a great time. I will look to do the B2B in the future, as there is so much more in every port that I could see and do.

Ok, now we're all awaitin to see some photos!!!:) Got any to share?

So you mentioned the bluish building at Granville Island.....is that the building that says Public Market? I'm looking at a map so I can be familiar before our driver lets us out also. Wonder if we shouldn't just take a cab out to Granville the evening before our cruise so we can walk around at our leisure before this city tour drops us off to fend for ourselves.

I personally wouldn't take a taxi over, you will be absolutely fine. The traffic over that way is heavy, so it may cost quite a bit.

I have looked at a Google maps....

We were dropped on Johnston Street near the Emily Carr University. From there, walk down the road. The restaurant I referred to before with the outdoor seating is Edible Canada Bistro. The building I saw that had a cafe and a few other places inside (shops and eateries as well as toilets) is opposite on Anderson Street and I think looking at it, it is called Net Loft Shops & Studios.

The public market is actually past this building. From recollection that seemed to be mainly selling fresh produce but I didn't go inside, I just saw from the outside.

My other tip, as silly as it sounds, is to write down/remember the licence plate of your tour bus. The areas you go to are incredibly busy with a lot of similar looking buses. It really helped me to know the plate number so I could easily work out which one was mine!