how much cash do you carry with you for tours

mheh123

Everybody takes tours since i don't like carrying lots of cash with me what is the best way to pay for tours in each port. Most tour companies want cash at the end of tours. Do i load up enough cash before we leave for the cruise or take enough cash for the first tour and then use atm machines to withdraw cash for the next tour. What happens if i don't find an atm machine. Need advice on this subject.

depends on where you are going. My cc gives me a cash advance at atm and doesn't charge a service fee or a cash advance fee. Usually get a great rate of exchange at local atm. Most tour companies know where the secure atms are located. Absolutely worse exchange rate on the ship but have done it a couple of times when we needed foreign currency quick.

We take cash in envelopes. When we were in Europe last cruise they all wanted Euros so we got them from AAA before we left home and I filled the envelopes with exactly what we needed, and we kept them in the ship's safe.

You can cash a traveler's check on the ship at Guest Relations. We have done that.

Be sure to bring cash for a tip. We tend to do about $5 each for a half day and about $10 each for full day, and more if it's absolutely wonderful and the guide was terrific. We also tip a van driver a couple dollars.

We don't tend to buy much in port, and if we do and it's over about $20 we use a credit card. Having said that, we usually have lots of little small bills between the two of us for incidentals.

Depends on where we are going. If our ports have different currency we try get a few $ in each currency before we go. Then use ATMs or credit card.

The euro was pretty low a couple of months ago and since we have 3 cruise this year where we will need euro's we purchased way more than we normally would.

The euro has gone back up some so our decision to buy is saving us a few $.

If you are going to a foreign country and need their currency, you can obtain the currency you need at a local bank before you leave. However, be advised that you typically pay retail money exchange rates plus a mark-up. At least you have the money before you leave.

I took enough from home for the first activity. Then I found out where there was a reliable ATM and took additional monies out. I used my bank debit card and I was charged the wholesale rate with no additional mark-up. Hope this helps.

In Europe, ATMs are so ubiquitous in most countries, so as not to be an issue as long as your card will work in them.

For a week in Norway last month, we checked that we had either paid in advance for tours or could pay with a CC, and never bothered with any Norwegian currency at all.

Stuart

There seems top be two camps on this on past threads here on Cruise Critic about using foreign currency.

The most popular option seems to be use of ATM's on arrival in Europe or another foreign country as they offer the best exchange rates (although check with your bank as some have a foreign transaction fee).

Personally, I use the other options which is getting enough foreign currency in advance of my trip to cover my minimum expected needs. So I only have to use the ATM's if I need to supplement cash needs towards the end of the trip. I get foreign currency from our local bank. The cost is 3% or 4% higher than using an ATM but there are no fees and the convince of this really doesn't cost that much ($30 or $40 per $1,000). Getting cash in advance also means I don't need to worry about getting to ATM's (although they are not hard to find in Europe), and no concerns about daily withdrawal limits nor whether my card will work overseas or not.

Of course that is only applicable for trips to areas where foreign currency is needed. For trips to the Caribbean where the US dollar is almost always accepted I think most just take enough currency with them when they leave home.

Edited by Lsimon

Ships are one of the few places where travelers checks can be used and could be one solution for the OP especially if they can be purchased for no fee. Celebrity will cash them for you for no fee, so there would be no need to carry an excess of cash while in transit that way.