Hawaiian cruise! I need help!

papillons4u

Hello Everyone. Looks like I have to cross boards. I have sailed on Royal Carabbean three times and have loved it and we are looking to sail to hawaii in Feb. or March and there doesn't seem to be much with RCCL so I found a ship that looks nice. It is the Island Princess. Can anyone tell me about it? Has anyone else sailed on RCCL? How is Princess in compareisome?? Please let me know! Thank you.

Joyce from Maine

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;2;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I have sailed both. Sorry, I can not help with the Island Princess or Hawaii.

My comparisons is Princess beats RCCL. The 24 hours pools (freshwater), Horizon Court opened 24 hours with better selection during off hours makes Princess better. Both have good Pay extra eating places that are about equal. RCCL has a nice ice show and rock climb and roller blading. I like the Princess menu better and the fact that Princess limits the number of kids. You are going on the 15 day Hawaii trip so it will be an older crowd.

The Island is new ship. Others will tell you about it. I'd like a review when you get back please as I may be going on this one later. Thank you.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03
Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb
Dawn Princess Panamal Canal

Joyce,

don't get me wrong, i love cruises, but hawaii is something to be seen as a land vacation. Some may say that a cruise gives you a flavor of each but it is more of a frustrating tease. Land can be done quite inexpensively yet very nicely via condos etc. Since you are taking such a long flight take 3+ weeks (Friday departure and saturday return - 22 nights) and do it up right. Suggest 4 nights Oahu, 7 nights Big Island, 4 nights Kauai, 7 nights Maui. Take a look at VRBO for accomodations.

Joyce,

I have been contemplating taking a 15-day Hawaii cruise on the Island Princess (I'd pass on taking the Regal Princess...). I've been to Hawaii a number of times and think the cruise would be a good "change of pace".

As for the Island Princess, I sailed on her on a 10-day Panama Canal cruise last October. A fabulous time was had by all and the ship is certainly beautiful.

Have travelled round those islands twice with Princess,and will do it again in the future.No packing and unpacking,airports....just get off the ship or take the trips each day,many are offered. Return to the ship in the evening to familier surroundings and your stateroom with everything in order,no packing and unpacking paradise to me. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]I would do it again in a heart beat.

Joyce,

I've been on RCI several times as well as on the Coral, sister ship to the Island.

You'll find many similarities between RCI and Princess but overall, Princess does several things better with superior service. Frankly, I enjoyed my RCI cruises but felt I lowered my expectations for them compared to Princess.

I consider the ship the destination. It's a great way to travel and see new sights, try new things. I've done several port-intensive cruises with lots of sightseeing (there's more to life than the Caribbean) and thought that using the ship as a floating hotel was a terrific way to see and explore places I might not have been able to visit otherwise.

Bottom line: go for the Island Princess. You'll have a great time.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03.

-- Regal Princess (4/20/04) -- [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=2573008957"]Roll Call[/url]
-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=9323078957"]Roll Call[/url]
-- Royal Princess (4/21/05)

Have you ever been on thr RCCL? HOw does the Island Princess compare? I am nervous about changing lines..have only sailed on RCCL. Also..can't image 8 days at sea! That is a lot! I am used to TWO days at sea at the most! On a cruise that size.. is there more formal nights?

Joyce

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;2;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

THIS is what I needed to hear! THANK you so very much Pam. So your from New England also, so you are paying a small fortune for you flight as well? The Island Princess is leaving from California and I am worried about all the sea days! There will be 4 up and 4 back! That seems like a lot. Glad to hear it is as good if NOT better than RCCL! Thank you so much. Have you done a 15 day cruise?

Joyce

we'll be doing this cruise, Dec. 20. Will be on for xmas & new year's.

Having the eight sea days, is one of the best parts of the cruise. You get to relax going over & coming back, as it will be very port intensive for 5 days.

Airfare to LAX, was pretty reasonable from NJ.

I'm really looking forward to this cruise.

Minette

Caribbean Princess......7/24/2004

Island Princess......12/20/2004

We're just back from the Panama Canal on the Island Princess and this is one beautiful ship. Did Hawaii on the Radiance of the Seas (RCL) in 2000 and this is also a beautiful ship.

Obviously we are enthused with the Island Princess since we have another cruised booked on her in Nov. to Hawaii. 5 sea days from LA, 5 days around Hawaii, then 5 days back to LA.
As someone said, the ship is the destination. We just love those sea days. Always lots to do on a ship this size, or you can just relax.

Don't be nervous about switching over from RCL. Who knows, you may find out why many of us on this board love Princess. You will not be disappointed.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I have cruised Royal Caribbean for 7 days in the western Carib route (loved it), spent 12 days on the Royal Princess around the British Isles (loved it), and am going on the Island Princess to Hawaii on 9/21.

I had a great time on both RC and Princess and would go on either in a heartbeat.

I specifically chose the Hawaii cruise for the sea time. After 12 days of new ports every day in the British Isles, I don't want to do that again. I enjoyed myself but pushed to see all the new sights at each port and wore myself out. I am looking forward to 4 sea days to unwind and then 5 days of seeing the islands (I have been there before and will repeat some of the things I did on the land vacation). I figure that I can go full speed ahead for those 5 days and still have time to relax again on the way back.

There are lots of things to do on the ship or you can just sit by the pool (or on your balcony) and read a book or sit in the hot tub or go to a pottery class or go to the miniature golf or go to a show or.....

I did not get to see all of the islands on my land tour. Just going back and forth between the islands took up a chunk of the day - if you try to base yourself in one place.

I am also flying from the east coast to LA to make the trip, flying in the day before and flying back the day after.

Joyce,

Actually, I didn't spend a small fortune on my flight to/from LA. I found it on Travelocity for $189. (Heck, you can barely go Boston/NY for that!) I was just lucky and found a short-term special on AA.

I too enjoy the sea days. I work long days so I'm looking forward to hanging around, reading, going to lectures, movies, more reading, playing trivia, taking a class -- who knows, it's not going to be work.

My brother-in-law plans to spend his sea days playing bridge and reading, my sister plans to do a lot of needlepointing, knitting and yakking. We're not "sit in the sun" folks (been there, done that, paying for it) so we picked this cruise particularly because of the sea days. To us, it's a great combination of relaxing, port-intensive and back to relaxing.

We did a 12-day eastern Med cruise three years ago and came back exhilarated but exhausted. I'd do it again but relaxing is good.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03.

-- Regal Princess (4/20/04) -- [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=2573008957"]Roll Call[/url]
-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=9323078957"]Roll Call[/url]
-- Royal Princess (4/21/05)

We have sailed on RCI three times and switched to Princess in 2000.We will be on out eighth Princess cruise and our third on Island next week.In my opinion,RCI doesn't even get close to Princess.Princess does so many things so much better.We love the anytime dining.My company won a RCI cruise to Alaska in July and I gave it away to my partner.That speaks volumes.

Archived