Hotels in Southampton

For someone just wanting convenient stop over the night before a cruise then the Holiday Inn is more than adequate. But as somewhere special for a birthday then its a no. Our room looked a bit dated but was perfect for what we wanted. Id look somewhere else for a posh room to help celebrate a birthday.

Agree on this one but to me it all depends on how special the birthday is. I'd be more than happy there for a normal one but a big one with a 0 at the end, then it would be the Grand Harbour with a balcony. (Says she who has never stayed there before, but would ignore moaners and give it a go as it looks really nice!)

The GH would be a better hotel if you want to go shopping and have a choice of restaurants as the Hilton is further out of town. We've stayed at both and need the car to come into town when we stayed at the Hilton but just walked through to the shopping centre from the GH.

We've stayed in the Hilton, GH and Holiday Inn. The Hilton was several years ago and it took half an hour or so in a taxi into town. We stayed at the GH last October in a deluxe room I think. They may have upgraded us as we had a balcony , although the room was quite small (and the balcony). It was on the first floor just above the main entrance, but there was no view because the Holiday Inn was in the way!!. We couldn't really use the balcony as it was October. We weren't very impressed with reception as we waited ages to check in. Only one person was on the desk and the queue was quite long. They turned a man in a wheelchair away as his room wasn't ready, despite him and his wife having been told to come back at 4, which I thought was very poor. It also cost about 5 or 6 times what our room at the Holiday Inn cost us a few weeks ago. We booked an executive room. The room was probably larger than the GH, looked out on the roundabout as shown in the picture above. We also had a great view of a guest in one of the GH rooms who kept coming onto his balcony in his gown and surveying the view- of the roundabout- so not much privacy on the balcony. I wouldn't stay in the GH again, even on a special occasion. It wasn't worth the extra

Why would you want to sit or stand on a balcony of GH and breathe in all the traffic fumes from the roundabout below!!!

The West Quay shopping mall is very good but I think the area by the port is quite industrial so none of the hotels are really 'posh'.....if you want a more classy hotel you will need to venture out of town a bit either to the New Forest or towards Winchester....but then you will have to get into town for the shopping....

My goodness you are all being so helpful...I think I need to invite you all wherever I end up.!!!!

Going off at a tangent..how about the boathouse at Hythe. Quiet and peaceful, then if I feel a need for the shops its the ferry ride away. Possibly best of both worlds??

Has anyone stayed there. Would not imagine as a pre cruise..just as a stay.Seems to get good reviews on TA.

Hi English Lady - never stayed there but just had a sneaky look at their website. It looks lovely! And if you could book a room with a Solent view you would see all the cruise ships coming and going rather than just a view of them "parked" at the docks.You are near enough to Calshott Split where again you can get a good view of the ships, Lymington is not far away (lovely place) and as you say, you have a ferry to Southampton for the shops if you want them.

If it were me.......I would go for that!

Hope I get the chance to meet you in July on Arcadia.

Another vote for the dolphin hotel. They have some newer rooms that look more like flats from the outside, all named after P&O ships if I remember correctly. We stayed in the main hotel, ground floor room, it was a great size. Breakfast was included in the price. And a very short walk from the shops