Cruises to nowhere going away in 2016? very sad

vince_g

What I am upset about the most is that the government could not wait until 2017 to do this.

Why couldn't they wait and not have all the cruise line cancel all our cruises

They just don't care about anyone but themselves

One more year one not have killed them.

Not only did we lose money and a cruise trip in 2016 but also the cruise lines

that is what is pissing off the most

If those of us who were booked on a ctn in January heard it from NCL instead of online. I have yet to hear from them or see a posting on their site.

It could be that they are fighting it, and haven't conceded to the government yet. Perhaps they may still win a one year extension of the current status quo...or haven't made final alternate plans as yet....

It could be that they are fighting it, and haven't conceded to the government yet. Perhaps they may still win a one year extension of the current status quo...or haven't made final alternate plans as yet....

Could be but I understand that they have made statements to the press that the BA CTN's have been cancelled.

I don't think they are fighting the issue. Since the PR person has informed USAtoday that they are cancelling cruises,

They are just taking to long to email out notice to everyone

If there were fighting the issue with the government they would had a better chance fighting and maybe winning if all the cruise lines got together and all fought back together but that did not happen since Carnival and Disney have already emailed there guest on cancellation of cruises.

I have already received email from Carnival on cancellation.

Now we are just waiting for NCL and RCL to do the same thing

The only thing the cruise line can do is either extend the cruise and go to either Canada or Bermuda as 1 port of call

The only other way they can have a CTN cruise is they hire whole new crew on board that are all US citizens and don't have visas. That is the only way they can continue a CTN cruise since the issue is the crew onboard with visas

I don't think they are fighting the issue. Since the PR person has informed USAtoday that they are cancelling cruises,

If there were fighting the issue with the government they would had a better chance fighting and maybe winning if all the cruise lines got together and all fought back together but that did not happen since Carnival and Disney have already emailed there guest on cancellation of cruises.

The only thing the cruise line can do is either extend the cruise and go to either Canada or Bermuda as 1 port of call

The only other way they can have a CTN cruise is they hire whole new crew on board that are all US citizens and don't have visas. That is the only way they can continue a CTN cruise since the issue is the crew onboard with visas

Actually, they could retain the foreign crew, but they would need to get H-1 work visas, just as the foreign crew NCL uses on the US flag POA have. That, however, requires a whole new level of commitment and expense for the lines, especially with infrequent scheduling of CTN's and crew rotation.

The January Breakaway CTN's are sandwiched between 12 day itineraries so I don't think they can extend them.

The January Breakaway CTN's are sandwiched between 12 day itineraries so I don't think they can extend them.

I just looked, and they have a two day in between 2 12 day cruises. Those are southern Carib, and they need to do 18 knots to get from St. Kitts to NYC with 3 sea days, while if they make them 13 day cruises each, that would drop the required speed to 14 knots over 4 sea days. That would be a pretty hefty fuel savings, but not sure how their marketing demographics read on 4 sea days in a row.

Alternatively, they do nearly 3 sea days to San Juan (leave at 4pm, arrive at 3pm), which means again about 19 knots. If they slow to 16 knots, they add another night at sea, and then have a full day in San Juan, rather than 3pm to 10pm.

Actually, they would have to do both, making each 12 day into a 14 day. Sorry, brain's a little mushy today.

Edited by chengkp75

I just looked, and they have a two day in between 2 12 day cruises. Those are southern Carib, and they need to do 18 knots to get from St. Kitts to NYC with 3 sea days, while if they make them 13 day cruises each, that would drop the required speed to 14 knots over 4 sea days. That would be a pretty hefty fuel savings, but not sure how their marketing demographics read on 4 sea days in a row.

Alternatively, they do nearly 3 sea days to San Juan (leave at 4pm, arrive at 3pm), which means again about 19 knots. If they slow to 16 knots, they add another night at sea, and then have a full day in San Juan, rather than 3pm to 10pm.

Actually, they would have to do both, making each 12 day into a 14 day. Sorry, brain's a little mushy today.

What about on the other side- is there a Canadian port they could reach on the 2 day CTN that would satisfy the D-1 requirements and fill those gaps or would that be cost prohibitive (turning the CTN into a weekend Canadian cruise)?

Edited by sparks1093

What about on the other side- is there a Canadian port they could reach on the 2 day CTN that would satisfy the D-1 requirements and fill those gaps or would that be cost prohibitive (turning the CTN into a weekend Canadian cruise)?

At 21 knots, St. John, NB, is about 24 hours away, and that's the closest port. So, there really isn't any economics to support this. That's a boat load of fuel just to make a 2 day cruise work.

At 21 knots, St. John, NB, is about 24 hours away, and that's the closest port. So, there really isn't any economics to support this. That's a boat load of fuel just to make a 2 day cruise work.

That's what I thought, thanks! Going forward if they still want to offer 12 day cruises they will have to start and end them on different days of the week (and I don't know what that would do for marketing) or let the ship sit idle for those two days. Glad I don't work in cruise line scheduling.:)

That's what I thought, thanks! Going forward if they still want to offer 12 day cruises they will have to start and end them on different days of the week (and I don't know what that would do for marketing) or let the ship sit idle for those two days. Glad I don't work in cruise line scheduling.:)

Yeah, I'm not sure what the demographic change is between 12 day and 14 day cruises, and how that will affect bookings.

You should be fine with the December CTN as the regulations do not begin until 01 January. The cruise lines don't wish to cancel these as they are huge profit makers per person/per day and no port fees for the line to pay.

Enjoy one of the last CTNs for the foreseeable future.