New England/Canada

mya603

I'm thinking of this cruise October 2016. A 7 day out of New York. Any thoughts from anyone who has done it? I sail solo. Would like to take part in a meet and greet. Love meeting people. How does everyone like the Regal? Should I sail in September instead of October?

The foliage season is fickle. It might peak late Sept or early Oct. That being said, if you go in Sept the season runs from north to south, so you stand a good chance of getting the peak somewhere between New England and Nova Scotia.

Would like to take part in a meet and greet. Love meeting people.

There will be Roll Calls for virtually every cruise. If they haven't already been established, they will eventually. That is your best option for meeting people ahead of time and arranging for a meet and greet on board.

Should I sail in September instead of October?

It depends on your goals and preferences. There won't be much Fall foliage to speak of in September. Very little, in fact. If you are looking for the iconic New England Autumn and photos of bright red and yellow leaves, you have to sail in October. But if you prefer warmer weather and longer days of sunshine, then September is the time to go. In September, you should have days in the 70's and even 80's, but you would also be in the peak of the hurricane season should one steer off in that direction. In October, you would have days in the 60's and 70's with a chance of seeing some days warmer than that, as well as the chance that it could be significantly colder than that. And some strong Nor-Easters can whip up in October, but that is impossible to plan around. I think it really comes down to whether you prefer longer days with 75 degree temperatures, or shorter days with brilliant foliage and 63 degree days. There is no "right" answer.

If you are interested in foliage, here are some past reports to use as a reference point. As you will see, right around October 9-15 is when you will find the best and most diverse foliage, and it doesn't vary too much, year to year. Obviously, the further north you go, the earlier the peak will be. Just keep in mind that it can never be peak everywhere at the same time. If it is peak in Mass., it is past peak in Quebec. The best option for maximum foliage is to start north and head south. That way, each day of travel brings you into another area of peak colors. In a perfect world on a 7 day cruise, I would leave Canada on October 7 and arrive in New York on October 14.

10112008_lc.gif

10102009_lc.gif

10132010_lc.gif

10152011_lc.gif

10102012_lc.gif

10122013_lc.gif

If you are interested in foliage, here are some past reports to use as a reference point. As you will see, right around October 9-15 is when you will find the best and most diverse foliage, and it doesn't vary too much, year to year. Obviously, the further north you go, the earlier the peak will be. Just keep in mind that it can never be peak everywhere at the same time. If it is peak in Mass., it is past peak in Quebec. The best option for maximum foliage is to start north and head south. That way, each day of travel brings you into another area of peak colors. In a perfect world on a 7 day cruise, I would leave Canada on October 7 and arrive in New York on October 14.

10112008_lc.gif

I tried to follow this on 2 different trips (fall foliage network). On one trip, I arrived October 15th and we were early for foliage everywhere. We didn't see any on that trip.

A few years later, I started in Quebec on Oct 22 or so and we had snow and white out conditions. It got better. Though, we hit Boston on Halloween and that was their best foliage day of the year, so they were late that year also.

I would aim for mid-October as the coastal areas are later than inland. If you look at the above map, many coastal areas say "little color on October 10th - Boston and RI".

Edited by Coral

It has been an abnormally dry season so far, after the snowiest winter in human memory. If Mother Nature gets her act together maybe we can have some foliage for our visitors.

We are taking the Regal Princess on Oct 17-24.Hope our timing is good,but we won't know until we do it.We are in Halifax on Oct 19 and head south and back to New York on Oct 24.

Bar Harbor, Maine on a Princess cruise on a September 26

100_7020_zpsnw5ntito.jpg

Halifax on a Princess cruise on a September 28

100_7429_zps4gd7k9gd.jpg

Quebec City on a Princess cruise on an October 2.

100_7978_zpseyypurwp.jpg

Of course, your experience may vary.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first (land) trip to coastal Maine was in October, and we learned why it is named "The Pine Tree" State. Then we drove to the mountains in New Hampshire, and hit peak foliage -- unfortunately, cruise ships can't go there. Since foliage should peak later in Quebec and earlier as you sail toward New York, you could sail Southbound in early October, figuring that you will be too early in Quebec but should see some color somewhere in the journey -- or you could go Northbound in mid-October and figure if you are too late in New England you'll still hit it in Quebec.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I tried to follow this on 2 different trips (fall foliage network). On one trip, I arrived October 15th and we were early for foliage everywhere. We didn't see any on that trip.

A few years later, I started in Quebec on Oct 22 or so and we had snow and white out conditions. It got better. Though, we hit Boston on Halloween and that was their best foliage day of the year, so they were late that year also.

I would aim for mid-October as the coastal areas are later than inland. If you look at the above map, many coastal areas say "little color on October 10th - Boston and RI".

I remember the snow in Quebec. :eek: