Upgrading what will I pay?

Flo71

I have been allocated cabin A726 (Aloha towards the aft) it is a BD cabin, I paid guarantee for this cabin £799 but although it was a fab price I am not thrilled with location. Don't get me wrong I can live with it. But cabin L302 is available, this is in a location I think myself and my daughter will prefer and it will avoid the problem with the aft lifts. This cabin is a BC and currently on sale for £1649.

Will I pay the difference between cabin grades now, which would be about £100 or the difference between what I actually paid and the cabin price, which would be £850?

Thanks in advance

...Will I pay the difference between cabin grades now, which would be about £100 or the difference between what I actually paid and the cabin price, which would be £850?

Thanks in advance

My understanding is that it is the latter. You might ask if there are any available cabins in the category that you have been assigned that are more to your liking. Here in the US they will move you free of additional charge within category; not sure about the UK.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

I have just changed my cabin and can confirm that, sadly, it is the latter. I booked through a TA - not sure about you - but they had to call Princess and see if what I wanted was available and they were given the price to change by Princess.

Is it just yourself and your daughter travelling? I am travelling with my husband and 2 kids and we had booked an Balcony for 4. We then decided it was going to be too small and didn't fancy being in (effectively) twin bunkbeds for 2 weeks so I looked at the sale prices (like you!) and thought - brilliant - I can change to a balcony and an inside for not a lot extra (roughly £300). When I called I was told it was the price I paid on the day and the difference in that price now.

We decided we still needed the extra space so switched to 2 inside cabins and forfeited the Balcony as it was going to be £1400 extra to keep the balcony as it really meant we were just buying an extra cabin. BUT - when I switched to the 2 inside cabins, I realised my whole original booking was cancelled and I had a new booking number etc, which meant I could change my booking again and add a Balcony for only £400 plus I received $300 OBC for my balcony and $150 for my inside.

I probably didn't explain that very well, but if you look at the deals, you may be able to figure something out...

That said - I STILL wish we had the same rules as the US, as they have such great prices and great customer service - totally different to us. I found an even better deal via a US website but have been told by them that they are not allowed to sell the deals unless it is to US or Canadian citizens...

Hope that helps and all the best :D:D

That said - I STILL wish we had the same rules as the US, as they have such great prices and great customer service - totally different to us. I found an even better deal via a US website but have been told by them that they are not allowed to sell the deals unless it is to US or Canadian citizens...

We don't get those deals down under either. :(

Bummer!

We don't get those deals down under either. :(

Bummer!

Yeah - very frustrating to read about but have them out of reach!! I love Australia by the way - we got engaged there ( in Sydney - 18 years ago!)

I think its got a lot to do with the tipping culture in the US and how much customer service is focused on as a nation. The deals are really incredible - the price drops, everything... It kind of blows my mind!!

Yeah - very frustrating to read about but have them out of reach!! I love Australia by the way - we got engaged there ( in Sydney - 18 years ago!)

I think its got a lot to do with the tipping culture in the US and how much customer service is focused on as a nation. The deals are really incredible - the price drops, everything... It kind of blows my mind!!

And I love Scotland. We travelled there two years ago as part of a seven week Ireland and UK trip. We had a four night trip on the Royal Scotsman, plus a couple of days in Edinburgh and a short car trip through the western highlands. We really enjoyed it. One of the highlights of our trip.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

As previously posted, the cost to upgrade will be the difference in price at the time you originally booked.

Source, it seems that you were still in the cancel without penalty timeframe. Hence you being able to cancel your original booking and then book again under a different deal. You were then able to upgrade from an inside to a balcony for £400, as that must have been the price difference at the time of the 2nd booking.

Flo, not sure what ship you are on, but Aft cabins are our preferred location, I wouldn't worry about what you have read regarding problems with lifts. Personally I have never encountered a problem with any lift that spoilt my cruise (and I need to use them)

Not sure what ship you are on, but on some ships the Lido balconies are shaded the entire time due to an overhang, I found this made the stateroom feel dark and gloomy.

I have stayed in a lot of aft-ward cabins in the 700s (not the aft-facing ones) and never found a problem with the aft elevators. The area aft of the elevators tends to be quiet and generally the only people using those hallways are the ones with cabins there and the cabin stewards. It's one of my favored areas of the ship when I am choosing my cabin.

I have been allocated cabin A726 (Aloha towards the aft) it is a BD cabin, I paid guarantee for this cabin £799 but although it was a fab price I am not thrilled with location. Don't get me wrong I can live with it. But cabin L302 is available, this is in a location I think myself and my daughter will prefer and it will avoid the problem with the aft lifts. This cabin is a BC and currently on sale for £1649.

Will I pay the difference between cabin grades now, which would be about £100 or the difference between what I actually paid and the cabin price, which would be £850?

Thanks in advance

Hi Flo71,

Unfortunately, that is the bad thing about guarantees. For the low price, you are allowing the cruise lines to choose your cabin with no recourse. They will usually not even allow a cabin change at the same price.

Any upgrades will be priced at your original booking price, not the sales prices.

If you are not in cancellation penalties, you could cancel and re-book a cabin at new prices though.

Hope this helps.

Edited by zomandy

I agree we have not found any issues near elevators. :)

I have noticed, while watching cabin availability on cruises I am considering, that cabins right next to an elevator often book far in advance. I have always chosen one at least a cabin or two away from an elevator out of noise concerns, but perhaps that is unwarranted.

I have noticed, while watching cabin availability on cruises I am considering, that cabins right next to an elevator often book far in advance. I have always chosen one at least a cabin or two away from an elevator out of noise concerns, but perhaps that is unwarranted.

I would just never book a cabin (mostly insides) that share a wall with an elevator. Those are bad. :(

Cabins right across from the elevator lobby have not been an issue for us. Princess cabins are very soundproof for the most part. ;)