Golden Review, Photos & Full Ship Video Tour (Coming soon!)

Sheebah

That is an excellent question. This was the first cruise of many where I actually found myself underdressed in the dining rooms, and by that I mean, my normal attire of sleeveless dresses were not enough to keep me warm. I ended up gravitating toward my long sleeved dresses and skirts with sweaters in the dining rooms. I used a shawl every time we went out walking or to the theatre as well. My mom was smarter and packed cords, sweaters and other cozy (but nice) dinner wear. In my opinion, they keep this ship too cold. We had great weather all week but I was often bundled.

For the kids.... You're wise to pack both types as the temperature will vary but my son wore nice jeans and either a long sleeved shirt with buttons or something similar in the dining rooms each evening. (However, With their agegroup of 10-12 they may not be as sensitive as my boy, but better to be prepared). Sometimes we even layered a tshirt underneath our sins dinner clothes. He wore one pair of shorts on the whole trip and he complained of being cold, as he often does (he's like your mom, lol!!). He's tiny and thin though, so we were prepared and Hoodies usually remedy the issue . Also, after long days of swimming and hot tubbing (the pools are warm and heavenly on golden), he was more tired, thus the chill.

In port, our son wore a rain coat in drizzle, and a ski jacket and hat in colder places, like glacier days for example.

I hope this helps you. Please ask anything at all.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! The 6 of us are traveling in one minivan to the port--so I only have room for one suitcase per person and I don't like doing laundry on vacation :) Your review gives me an idea of what to expect--thanks so much!

Tom, on the May 12 cruise, the UST was scheduled on Day 6 at sea, heading for Victoria. It was cancelled on day 4, their reason being because of the "Ship's Operational Scheduling", as my letter stated. That's the day the ship went on Level Red and the crew were spraying and cleaning everywhere.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! The 6 of us are traveling in one minivan to the port--so I only have room for one suitcase per person and I don't like doing laundry on vacation :) Your review gives me an idea of what to expect--thanks so much!

You're welcome. We did lots of laundry on this trip. We couldn't keep jeans and tshirts clean so it was just a reality we had to accept, even though I over packed....we.still ran out of the basics.

Hi Sheeba,

I had a thought after watching your video several times - Ship's Tour of the Golden Princess, is there any way you can stow away on the Dawn Princess and do a similar video, she has just completed a drydock spell in Singapore having a complete refit of the Horizon Court and other updates. As she is one of our main cruise ships that is positioned in Australia, there are a lot of us Oz and New Zealanders who would dearly like to see how she has turned out.

Maybe Princess could give you a trip down under and a tour to New Zealand. I think you deserve it for all the effort you have put into your visual recollections, you have done a great PR job for Princess, it would cost them a lot to produce the same quality video as yours.:):)

Hi Sheeba,

I had a thought after watching your video several times - Ship's Tour of the Golden Princess, is there any way you can stow away on the Dawn Princess and do a similar video, she has just completed a drydock spell in Singapore having a complete refit of the Horizon Court and other updates. As she is one of our main cruise ships that is positioned in Australia, there are a lot of us Oz and New Zealanders who would dearly like to see how she has turned out.

Maybe Princess could give you a trip down under and a tour to New Zealand. I think you deserve it for all the effort you have put into your visual recollections, you have done a great PR job for Princess, it would cost them a lot to produce the same quality video as yours.:):)

You are so kind and we would LOVE to. It would be a dream come true if ANY line would cover our costs, but we all know thats just a dream. Let's work on our stowaway plan! I might be able to sneak in with a box of pineapple or a snow Crab legs.

Hi all,

Here are the Patters minus Ketchikan Day (I'm sorry, I lost it!). The "welcome aboard" document is the welcome aboard letter and drink/restaurant highlights waiting in the cabin on embark day.

Welcome Aboard.pdf

Embarkation Day.pdf

Day 1 At Sea.pdf

Day 2 At Sea.pdf

Day 3- Tracy Arm- At Sea.pdf

Day 4 Haines.pdf

Day 5 Juneau.pdf

Day 7 - At Sea.pdf

Day 8- Victoria.pdf

Day 9 - At Sea.pdf

Following three full days at sea- if you include Tracy Arm- we're finally headed to Haines, one of our favorite cruise ports in Alaska, having visited in 2013 on grand princess. Haines is a very tiny town of only a few thousand people and in the fall there are more Eagles in residence than there are people. It's 14 miles by boat to Skagway, or 350 miles by road!

Once docked at the convenient pier in Haines, we set off on a free shuttle to shop in the locally owned shops, stopped for an ice cream and then to the grocery store for some cold medicine as we had two people in our party feeling a bit icky. The view along the waterfront is stunning and you could spend all day walking this adorable place.

We had pre booked a late afternoon excursion - the Takshanuk mountain trail by 4x4, where we would be taking a short bus ride to the trailhead, then taking kawasaki mules up the mountain followed by a wonderful lunch at a lodge built with the lumber cleared when the trail was paved. The tour was amazing, the equipment top notch and everyone from my 6 year old son to 74 year old mama had an amazing day. We were treated to fried halibut, fresh baked cookies and incredible hospitality.

It was sad to leave little haines, bound for the more touristy towns.

[/img]

1434768401836.jpg.fddcab6e4d078bf0ba70792c572c421d.jpg

1434768555677.jpg.60d7cb183baef3488ca26aacd4a139f0.jpg

1434768577995.jpg.65aba02100378641ee4a9eaed78e08e4.jpg

1434768600749.jpg.88352774167785d7f24402b32c12d2aa.jpg

1434768650935.jpg.3beec94fd7c70c85677a0d23d56f8676.jpg

THANK YOU!

The Welcome Aboard and Embarkation Day information was totally new to me, and delightedly read thoroughly. I now feel even MORE confident about sailing solo!

Crochetcruise :cool:

You're welcome. You've made my day :-)

I finally got around to visiting the wne bar, Vines, on one of our longer waits for dinner. Deepak, our favorite barista from vines invited us in for a flight and some tapas.

The white wine flight was reasonably priced and placed in a fancy iron holder and the snacks were a great pre dinner appetizer.

Here are some shots of the menus, wine and tapas. I didn't try the sushi, but it was offered. The tapas were Calamari In a red sauce, salmon wrapped asparagus with a creamy sauce, chicken wings and a small cheese sandwich. Fun!

Edited by Sheebah

And while we're on the topic of drinks, I must admit I fell in love with princess ' s cocktail called Sam's Sidecar....so in that spirit here's the bar menu shared by most onboard venues followed by a fee shots of my fave cocktail.

1434834868811.jpg.b28fefa172ba53586cc2ae378e41ccb9.jpg

1434834883038.jpg.c08d7555a7add33cd10918b55ba7f64d.jpg

1434834899121.jpg.990d3b0e18eb23169b6993bde249f885.jpg

1434834914625.jpg.c0669065a5d8a96beb80a6081c866b72.jpg

1434834928616.jpg.6f87e1d3bd652955cc9aae7db6f3c340.jpg

1434834948596.jpg.fdcaede28c65a215be864ecb57c6c730.jpg

1434834971734.jpg.93916f09e727a878a4a1a6009e7bd89b.jpg

1434834988670.jpg.3ca3bc573a7586e2678e982e921ad94a.jpg

We had pre booked a late afternoon excursion - the Takshanuk mountain trail by 4x4, where we would be taking a short bus ride to the trailhead, then taking kawasaki mules up the mountain followed by a wonderful lunch at a lodge built with the lumber cleared when the trail was paved. The tour was amazing, the equipment top notch and everyone from my 6 year old son to 74 year old mama had an amazing day. We were treated to fried halibut, fresh baked cookies and incredible hospitality.

Question?

Was it easy to get a 4x4 for just two or did you have to have 4 on each one?

Mike:)

Question?

Mike - they have 2 seaters and 4 seaters. The couples seemed to snag 2 seaters easily...lots of larger parties and parties with kids to balance it out. We grabbed a 4 seater for our party. It's a wonderful excursion.

Question?

MIKE- PS- it does help to sit near the front of the bus- you'll be first off to choose your mule...although everyone was very calm and orderly about the process.