Drink prices again an opinion...

I have been reading fizzlewicks review(and may I add a wonderful one!) of the 9 nighter on the LOS. Reading his cruise compass looks to me that every day there is. 7-8 $$ drinks of the day and there are many different happy hours and bar deals through the ship daily. I was pleasantly surprised. Just pointing out there are drink options. Being from Bergen county NJ some of the drink prices aren't that out of normal for me. Granted like another poster said once a wk or a couple times a month maybe at home going out for a drink or 2 isn't the same as a wk or so with all day drinking or nightly cocktails that certainly adds up. You are after all a captive client. But with the deals the diamond lounge and the loaded drinks on your card. The bogo loaded coupons I am now re thinking the package. Just a thought and a vent.[emoji483][emoji484][emoji485]

But with the deals the diamond lounge and the loaded drinks on your card. The bogo loaded coupons I am now re thinking the package. Just a thought and a vent.[emoji483][emoji484][emoji485]

If you're a D you really do not need a package. You get your happy hour drinks, cappucino machine in the lounge, and there are DOD specials, martini specials during certain hours, plus you are allowed 2 bottles of wine/champagne per cabin at boarding.

Depends on what you drink and how much and when you drink, I am diamond and last 2 cruises also was in suite so we had concierge lounge, but I really enjoyed some of the higher end scotch that is included in plan ( Johnny walker platinum 18 year old) and wine in diamond and concierge is not to my taste. But I agree to many this may be a better choice.

I have been reading fizzlewicks review(and may I add a wonderful one!) of the 9 nighter on the LOS. Reading his cruise compass looks to me that every day there is. 7-8 $$ drinks of the day and there are many different happy hours and bar deals through the ship daily. I was pleasantly surprised. Just pointing out there are drink options. Being from Bergen county NJ some of the drink prices aren't that out of normal for me. Granted like another poster said once a wk or a couple times a month maybe at home going out for a drink or 2 isn't the same as a wk or so with all day drinking or nightly cocktails that certainly adds up. You are after all a captive client. But with the deals the diamond lounge and the loaded drinks on your card. The bogo loaded coupons I am now re thinking the package. Just a thought and a vent.[emoji483][emoji484][emoji485]

I am D+. I am also 63. I don't drink like I used to. I drink occasionally during the day, maybe one after dinner, a couple before dinner. So for me the drink package isn't worth it. You need about 4 $12 drinks per day to break even. But that's simply a "draw." 1 less and you lose money, 1 more and you make money. We like to go ashore, nap in our cabin, etc. I like Martini's, but after dinner I like Vanilla White Russians. It's a cheaper drink. As for wine, we prefer a bottle that usually lasts 2 dinners.

So, it all depends on your drinking. 2 Drink packages cost $798 for a 7 night cruise. We have yet to hit that mark. So, with the lounge privileges, a drink package just isn't of value to us.

I've avoided the topic pretty much till now. They did strike me as too high, but it doesn't affect us that much. Our bar bill after a 7 day cruise is usually around $100 at most. Now with our first diamond cruise coming up it should be less of an issue. Then again I never complained but the water packages being $4 a bottle, or felt the need to try to drink the soda equivalent amount to what I would pay back home. $4 for a can of coke at home would be unreasonable, but if I wanted it bad enough 500 miles from land on a 90 degree day and someone was willing to bring it to me then my perspective changes just a little.

You need about 4 $12 drinks per day to break even. But that's simply a "draw." 1 less and you lose money, 1 more and you make money. We like to go ashore, nap in our cabin, etc. I like Martini's, but after dinner I like Vanilla White Russians. It's a cheaper drink.

And that 4 drinks per day to break even assumes you are paying for the most expensive drinks. And that you're not buying any martinis during a special.

They had regular martinis and cosmos in the DL. They were using Smirnoff and that's what I prefer anyway. The times we went to a bar and they didn't have the house brand liquor to mix, they gave us Grey Goose or whatever and rang it up as 'Finlandia'.

Edited by marci22

I see a lot of talk about what Diamond members get - any idea what us lowly Golds get in terms of coupons?? I seem to recall our last cruise we had a couple of BOGOs or 10% off drinks, but I can't remember.

On our last cruise we did not get the alcohol package for two reasons: 1) we were on a port-intensive Mediterranean cruise and we figured most prime "fruity cocktail by the pool" times we would be in port somewhere and 2) the wines by the glass were not to our taste. We ordered wine by the bottle at dinner and found the prices to be generally reasonable (keep in mind we are Canadian and taxed to death on alcohol here - I know others don't agree) and the odd drink at the bar. Our account at the end - if I take out the non-alcohol charges such as spa and bus transfers - was significantly less than the beverage package for two people.

I see a lot of talk about what Diamond members get - any idea what us lowly Golds get in terms of coupons??...

This coupon list is still fairly accurate. I believe the internet coupons are different:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2045047

Edited by clarea

Bottled water is also included. I tend not to drink as much water when I travel vs when I am home so this makes it easier for me to get my water intake higher. On the last cruise I could order a drink and then a bottled water a few minutes later. There was no minimum time in between.

Being from the Washington DC metro area, I did not find the prices onboard to be out of line. The most expensive drink that I found was the Coronarita for 14.50, which was two full drinks (a Corona and a Margarita).

I know some folks have complained about the drink prices, but they were not unreasonable to me. I've seen some folks even seen folks say I'm hurting my cause by "defending" RCCL.

Would I like cheeper booze? Sure. Would I like free booze? HELL YEAH!

At the same time, I'm also a realist. Ships are expensive. Costs are going up and interest on a billion dollars is still real money even if interest rates are pretty low.

Meanwhile people are saying they want "cheaper cruises". In order to give that perception and get the business, instead of raising rates on the base cruise fare, they move the dollars they want/need to make as a public company to other places.

Is complaining about it on Cruise Critic going to do any good? Most likely not.

At the end of the day, people are going to vote with their wallets. If the complete value of the vacation is not to your liking... try another line. I'm not trying to defend RCCL here saying this. If I no longer find value in what RCCL is giving me, I'll look elsewhere. This is just business for the company, and that's what it is for me as well. :)

I see a lot of talk about what Diamond members get - any idea what us lowly Golds get in terms of coupons?? I seem to recall our last cruise we had a couple of BOGOs or 10% off drinks, but I can't remember.

(1101) Buy any Wine, Beer or Soda by the glass and get a second (of equal or lesser value) FREE

(1102) Purchase any glass of Wine, Beer or Soda and receive a 10% discount

They run various specials during the week, in addition to DOD.

DODs tend to be orange or pineapple/mix, vodka or spiced/coconut/rum, triple sec, grenadine, etc type of mixtures.

On our cruise they had 'happy hour specials' betwen 3-4pm all drinks 20% off. They had a martini special at various bars during the week, maybe 25% off?

I wouldn't suggest the wine on the packages or in the lounges, as it is the lowest priced wine possible. Better off bringing two bottles at boarding or purchasing a bottle once onboard.

Simple mixed drinks shouldn't be too bad, but ask the price before purchasing. I have no problem doing that. Don't want to buy a $15 drink.

(1101) Buy any Wine, Beer or Soda by the glass and get a second (of equal or lesser value) FREE

We used this one for glasses of Caymus Cabernet which were well worth it.

As I've stated elsewhere the drink package is not worth it for us because we will:

-have access to the Concierge Lounge

-drink water during the day

-will be bringing 2 bottles of wine

-are attending 2 wine pairing dinners

-have enough OBC to cover late night drinks