White Pass Rail Only or with Klondike Highway?

YumYumSweetiePie

Princess offers an excursion that is just riding the White Pass train (goes up the mountain, comes right back down, 3 hours total) and one that goes up the route via the White Pass train with return via motor coach (or vice versa). Anyone had experience with either? Recommend one over the other? Is the surcharge to include the Klondike Highway worth it?

Also have some travelers with us that would benefit from the "multilingual" aspect advertised on the Klondike Highway/train combo. Does the audio in different languages also apply for the train portion?

These are two, equally good options depending on what you want to see and spend. However,, neither gets you into the Yukon, if that is of any interest? There are different scenic views with the round trip combo tour you mention. You could call the RR directly and inquire about the language question you have.

For more varied scenery, taking the longer tours, are excellent for those with the interest.

I vote for the motorcoach combo to see both sides of the canyon.

For train only, pay attention if it's summit return or Fraser return.

• summit return means you miss out on tormented valley and the beautiful lake around Fraser
  • I believe Fraser return means you need a passport... not likely an issue if you departed from Vancouver.
  • consider other combo tours such as Liarsville or Yukon

0xHCn0IkjUE

I have had an attraction for the WP&YR going back to 1963 and for that reason I prefer to take the historical railway both ways however there is no question that you get a different perspective if you take the highway one way.

We just did this last week (our first time in Alaska). We did the round trip Summit return. The plus side of doing the RT is that it doesn't matter which side of the train you are on if it is crowded; you switch sides on the way back down.

On the other hand, it would have been nice to get a different perspective on the return trip. Princess also offers an option to train up and bike down which would be pretty cool if you are feeling adventurous!

Thank you for everyone's input!

@BudgetQueen, I'm not really sure if the Yukon is of interest lol. I have never been so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on and if I should try to catch it.

@xlxo & Putterdude, good to have direct votes/opinions. Hah, funny that you two have opposing votes though.

@NYCruiseNoob, that sounds wonderful but not everyone in the group is able to do it and we'd like to stick together. Otherwise, I would totally do bike. I love adventure/physical excursions.

Thank you for everyone's input!

@BudgetQueen, I'm not really sure if the Yukon is of interest lol. I have never been so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on and if I should try to catch it.

@xlxo & Putterdude, good to have direct votes/opinions. Hah, funny that you two have opposing votes though.

@NYCruiseNoob, that sounds wonderful but not everyone in the group is able to do it and we'd like to stick together. Otherwise, I would totally do bike. I love adventure/physical excursions.

One point with going up to Emerald Lake, is the vast differences you see in the terrain. It is nonstop scenery and natural beauty. It gives you a look at some remoteness, and with the vendor I use, allows a close up look at Carcross, and the residential way of life there. :) Reading some further details- about the South Klondike Highway would give you a better idea perhaps. Reference Bell's guide and the Milepost- should be more written detail for review. this option does require more time and money. Is of interest for some.

An alternative- being you want to "stay together", an option could perhaps, be partial? Selecting either of your original shorter tours, would allow you some "you" time, where you could take a few hours for a hike up to Lower Dewey Lake, meeting back up with your group later.

Just got back yesterday. We took the Train/Bus excursion. We were on Celebrity which leaves Skagway at 5:45pm. We nearly missed the ship! The train had locomotive issues earlier in the day and pushed all the departure back by 2 hours. We had NO time in Skagway for shopping or walking around. Lesson learned...don't take a full day excursion unless you are willing to spend ALL DAY on the excursion.

I let the boards talk us into the Yukon excursion for our last trip. Was soooooooo boring we could hardly stand it. DH wanted to see the sled dogs but the puppies are just exhausted from all the visitors and the older dogs are begging for treats all the time. The food served to us was awful so we ended up paying even more for ice cream at one of the stops to keep us happy.

The train was great so I'd stick with just that. It's a lot of sitting either way and the scenery from the train was enjoyable.

I let the boards talk us into the Yukon excursion for our last trip. Was soooooooo boring we could hardly stand it. DH wanted to see the sled dogs but the puppies are just exhausted from all the visitors and the older dogs are begging for treats all the time. The food served to us was awful so we ended up paying even more for ice cream at one of the stops to keep us happy.

The train was great so I'd stick with just that. It's a lot of sitting either way and the scenery from the train was enjoyable.

Can I ask which vendor you used? I am also very concerned about being bored on this excursion but not much else in Skagway has my interest and so many people get excited about this excursion.

I'm stumped , how can someone be talked into taking a tour? Especially from an anonymous message board?

Add to the mix- if someone is AFRAID of being "bored" doesn't that tell you something? Why would you even consider that type of touring?

It is well reported about the Caribou Crossing meal. Caribou Crossing is also easily found out, about, direct.

I've never stopped long there, and my comments about details can be a good suggestion for determining the type of Yukon tour. There are differences people miss.

Edited by Budget Queen

Princess offers an excursion that is just riding the White Pass train (goes up the mountain, comes right back down, 3 hours total) and one that goes up the route via the White Pass train with return via motor coach (or vice versa). Anyone had experience with either? Recommend one over the other? Is the surcharge to include the Klondike Highway worth it?

For me the train/road combo was definitely worth it. You get a totally different experience and see a lot more. This was our day. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

For me the train/road combo was definitely worth it. You get a totally different experience and see a lot more. This was our day. All the best, Tony

3WSaRzt5N0Q aFpz4AHOcUs

Your videos are awesome! Unfortunately, the tour we were considering is train/bus combo of Skagway to Fraser and back to Skagway, an option through the ship. Looks like your tour extended into the Yukon. BudgetQueen has suggested this too though, hmm, now I'm wondering if I should book with this company instead. Do you remember if there was audio for other languages for this company?

Your videos are awesome! Unfortunately, the tour we were considering is train/bus combo of Skagway to Fraser and back to Skagway, an option through the ship. Looks like your tour extended into the Yukon. BudgetQueen has suggested this too though, hmm, now I'm wondering if I should book with this company instead. Do you remember if there was audio for other languages for this company?

There isn't a lot of "commentary", so much of the tour, is visual. I'm assuming you are bilingual? You could easily rely the highlights to your family members.

Check out Dyea Dave. I know he has a smaller van and does private tours. But even going with a scheduled tour, would work, depending the size of your "group"?

Thanks. I was being dumb, overlooking the fact that you were only going as far as Fraser, and it was a matter of whether you did train both ways or a train/road combo. I chose the one which went into YT because of the variety of experience and to use up my day, as getting back to Skagway with hours before departure leaves a long time to see not much. I mean no disrespect to the town, it's just quite small. But even if you stay with your plan, train/road is best as you will see more, get differing photo ops. With train both ways you will be repeating what you saw 'just now'.

The (English) commentary on the train is only audible inside the carriage, not on the outside viewing platforms. I'm sure this is deliberate as if it was out there too I would have spent the whole journey there - along with many others :)

Doing this same trip in August. I'am starting to play around with various editing software. Was wondering what software you used for these videos. What kind of camera did you use? I'll be taking a Sony video camera and a GOPRO plus my Samsung phone camera.

Doing this same trip in August. I'am starting to play around with various editing software. Was wondering what software you used for these videos. What kind of camera did you use? I'll be taking a Sony video camera and a GOPRO plus my Samsung phone camera.

Hi

They were edited with iMovie as I'm only a cut and trim merchant, nothing fancy. The camera is a Panasonic HDC SD900 (now 3 years old) so any full HD (1080p) will look much the same. All the best, Tony

Here's what I did with my GoPro last July on the Bennett Scenic Journey (Skagway to Carcross by train, return via van). The camera was clamped onto a grab iron for the entire trip up. GoPro Studio was used for editing.

Individual clips ...

Four edited videos of the entire trip. ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtZowKWUxasOyzM_8FtrQUg