Affordable Camera for Alaska Cruise

sh2738

Hey all.

I am looking at possibly getting a new camera for my upcoming cruise to Alaska. Something that is good for taking scenery/outdoor pictures of all the great things and animals to see. Who I am going with has a good camera but I was curious if there was a good one in my price range that I could get? If not, then i will just use my iPhone 6 plus for my pictures.

Any recommendations for a good camera for this that would be affordable? Under $200 or a more expensive one that I could buy used or refurbished?

Thanks so much!

I have a Sony DSC-HX50 Cybershot. 30x optical zoom, 120x digital zoom for stills, 60x digital zoom for video. Amazon charges $298 new, $200 used. Not that I would buy a used one personally, but that's up to you. Other suppliers may have it cheaper; and there are cheaper cybershot models.

I'd recommend it to anyone, easy to use both for photos and videos.

If not, then i will just use my iPhone 6 plus for my pictures...

I understand your sentiment, but I beg you to get a good camera for your Alaska cruise. Yes iPhone takes excellent pictures but it is my opinion and experience that a good digital camera will just help this experience come alive for you. We are on our second Sony and it is incredible. Buy what you can afford but try to think of it as an investment. :)

I understand your sentiment, but I beg you to get a good camera for your Alaska cruise. Yes iPhone takes excellent pictures but it is my opinion and experience that a good digital camera will just help this experience come alive for you. We are on our second Sony and it is incredible. Buy what you can afford but try to think of it as an investment. :)

Which camera so you have?

Just like cruise lines, you'll find 'fanboys' who swear by Canon/Nikon/Sony etc. - there's a constant battle for who has the best lens/biggest zoom/newest shiny bell or whistle and the actual best camera at any price point is always open to debate.

It's rare that anyone truly innovates with a feature that is significantly better than any other manufacturer - and if they do, all the online review sites will very quickly line up to award that camera (like when Canon's digital Rebel came out and basically blew open the dSLR market) and, frankly, if they actually are much better than the opposition they will charge more than the opposition because the camera is better!

The most sensible thing you can do is assess which camera you can afford is the most intuitive for you to use. Go to a store, pick them up, take some snaps - see which feels comfortable in your hand, where the controls are. Does your finger naturally come down on the all-important 'click here to take a picture' button or do you have to concentrate to find it? Can you easily find and use the different shooting modes like landscape, portrait, sport, video?

If you can't use your camera without thinking about it, you WILL miss out on photo opportunities - the landscape isn't going anywhere, but catching that glacier calving, or a whale tail rather than just a ripple, is all about having your camera ready and not needing to think before hitting the right buttons. Learning to use what you have well is far more important than having the 'best' camera at any pricepoint...

Personally I settled on Canon big zoom Point & Shoots years ago, after owning various different digitals. Are Canon always the best camera at the given price point? Of course not, I know when I'm picking up my next version that there are e.g. slightly better features on the equivalent Lumix model, but I find that the controls on Canon work intuitively for me and the shape, size, weight distribution just feel a little better in my hand than the other brands do - so far. As long as they keep feeling better for me, I'll keep buying them.

I'm a big fan of the small point and shoot cameras that have a good zoom. While they're not as good as the huge DSLR cameras, they've been perfectly sufficient for me and have more features than I could ever use. And the zoom is fantastic! I like the fact that it's small enough to throw in my purse (even some of my evening bags) so it's not obtrusive to carry around.

I have the Canon SX260 I believe... It has wifi, GPS, a 20x optical zoom, etc. There are many other cameras on the market, and as mine is 2 years old now, there are newer versions and the prices have likely dropped since then. Worth checking out this type (and any other brand with similar features) if you want a balance of affordability, portability, and a decent camera.

I'm a big fan of the small point and shoot cameras that have a good zoom. While they're not as good as the huge DSLR cameras, they've been perfectly sufficient for me and have more features than I could ever use. And the zoom is fantastic! I like the fact that it's small enough to throw in my purse (even some of my evening bags) so it's not obtrusive to carry around.

I have the Canon SX260 I believe... It has wifi, GPS, a 20x optical zoom, etc. There are many other cameras on the market, and as mine is 2 years old now, there are newer versions and the prices have likely dropped since then. Worth checking out this type (and any other brand with similar features) if you want a balance of affordability, portability, and a decent camera.

Thanks. I think I will do that. Who I am traveling with has a really nice, and expensive, DSLR that she can use, and I'll just get a simple regular one. Thanks.

It sounds like you want a good point and shoot. I second trying out different cameras.

I just upgraded to a mirrorless camera (lighter than a dslr but allows for lens changes). I love it because I can carry it anywhere with a good zoom lens, but you really have to be ready for a learning curve to get the best use out of it. And it will probably be pricier than you indicate you are looking for.

Whatever you buy, give yourself enough time to learn the camera well before you take it in a trip.

I just came back today and i purchased a Nikon L840 before leaving for $199.

It was very good but at full zoom it was hard to get a focused pic. It is an easy camera to use. Whatever camera you get,you must have a good zoom on it especially for photographing the animals or bald eagles. The pics came out very well and you can also take good videos. For this price,I thought it was a good camera and serves its purpose. I have the iphone and while close up pics came out good,the distance shots of the glaciers and animals we not very impressive!

I am a Canon man because I've been using them for so long, however all the major's make some good gear. Try ebay you will often get a good deal there. Something with a 20X zoom should suit you pretty well. A larger sensor helps.