Bags and packing question

kkbrig

My kids and I are light packers. We always pack on carry on size roller suitcase plus a tote bag (me) or school sized backpack (kids) each. We like to have all our things with us to avoid lost luggage, and we like to pack light enough that we can all easily handle our own stuff, for those times when you must run and take a shuttle to another terminal on a connection. My husband, however, is a heavy packer and always packs a huge checked bag and then a small carryon (like a briefcase or camera bag).

I am not sure if the kids and I are going to be able to pack that light for this 18 day cruise tour! Just because of all the different types of things we need- shorts to fleeces, hiking clothes to dress up.

First of all I wanted feed back on what I was thinking of bringing. Does this sound like the right ballpark of things- I was thinking 3 pairs of jeans, 1-2 pairs of shorts (we will be in Fairbanks for 2 days and it is currently mid 80s there), 4 long sleeve shirts, 4 short sleeve shirts, 1 skirt, 1 pair dress slacks, 4 dressier blouses, thin fleece jacket, waterproof/windproof jacket, gloves, warm hat, 1 swimsuit, 1 coverup, 1-2 pjs, 1 pair sweatpants, 1 pair waterproof black leather hiking shoes, Keen sandals, black flats.

Second- I am a little uncertain about how our luggage will be dealt with. Let's say I have my carry on suitcase plus my tote bag and my husband has his big huge suitcase and large camera case. We start in Fairbanks, then 2 days at Denali Lodge, 2 days at McKinley lodge, then go to the cruise. In Fairbanks, it sounds like we need to send our large bags straight to meet us at the cruise, our small bags will meet us at the next night time stop, and we can take one small bag with us for the day. I think this means that I will want to pack everything that I will want/need for the day in to my tote bag? Or would my one bag be my carry on suitcase and my tote is just extra? And will my husband's large bag need to go straight to the cruise ship, in which case he will need to either pack in to 2 bags, or we will need to regroup our clothes in to things only needed for the ship and put those in his bag, and have him put his first 6 days worth into one of our bags...

Basically, I can make this work out whatever the scenario. I'm just trying to get a grasp on what the scenario looks like.

Third- I was planning to do some laundry at some point. Should I bring along detergent or is that easily purchased at the laundry facilities? Should I bring along quarters?

Thanks!

I'm like you when it comes to packing, especially when I need to fly. I avoid checked bags if at all possible. Some people manage going to Alaska without a checked bag but most will need an extra suitcase.

I think you're in the right ballpark for wardrobe. I would pare down to 2 dressy blouses. I don't take jeans - too heavy. I wear pants that zip off into shorts. Then I take 1 silk thermal pants, in case I need an extra layer. Can you do 1-2 pairs of jeans? Do you really need sweatpants and pjs? I would use sweatpants for pj bottoms and a tee shirt.

That your luggage will be handled for you is a plus on a cruise tour, but I found that it was also a challenge making sure I had everything in the right bag. Put whatever you don't need for the land tour in the bag(s) to go straight to the ship. This probably includes your dressy clothes. Also consider splitting up some of what you're taking into a portion for the ship and a portion for the land. For example, laundry supplies, disinfectant wipes, toiletries. You don't need all of it on the land. I take these in zip-lock storage bags labelled for the ship and for the land.

I have a packing list for each bag, and I take it with me. Organization is key. Start packing at least a week before you were originally planning to start. I was surprised at how much time I spent gathering everything to pack.

You need to think through what you will really need on the land vs. what can go straight to the ship. All of your husband's things can't go in one large bag. Some will go to the ship. So think in terms of what activities you are doing on the land and what you need there vs. on the cruise.

I had my carry-on size roller bag with me on the land and a backpack. I sent a large bag to the ship. Backpack stayed with me as I travelled. Carry-on bag was set out for Princess to pick up and transfer for me. You have no access to the bag you set out until it joins you after you arrive at the next destination. So portions of medications, etc. must go with you in your tote or backpack. There is a size restriction on the bag you carry with you as you travel, as it has to fit with you at your seat. They take the rest of the bags on a truck and deliver them to your room.

Laundry: I took quarters and Purex sheets - http://www.amazon.com/Purex-Laundry-Sheets-Tropical-Detergent/dp/B00THMV20E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1434815993&sr=8-8&keywords=purex+laundry+detergent

Edited by portiemom

Thanks. This is just what I need. It's really all about organization. If I know that I need all things for the day in bag A and all things for the first week in bag B and all things for second week in bag C, I can do that. It's trying to regroup at the last minute that always makes me flustered and I tend to forget something important in my regrouping!

I had that amount of jeans because I figured that would be my primary pants. I don't have any zip off pants (but would love some) and I am really hard to fit into pants so it was a lot of work just finding those jeans! I'm doubtful I will find other pants that fit well in the next week. My thought was to wear one, pack 2. Maybe I'll wear one, pack one. And good idea about the sweats. I just added that to the list at the last minute after reading someone else's list of "wish I had brought" and they included sweat pants.

Toiletries- I will rethink this too, and divide as I'm able.

Again, thanks for help!

Thanks. This is just what I need. It's really all about organization. If I know that I need all things for the day in bag A and all things for the first week in bag B and all things for second week in bag C, I can do that. It's trying to regroup at the last minute that always makes me flustered and I tend to forget something important in my regrouping!

I had that amount of jeans because I figured that would be my primary pants. I don't have any zip off pants (but would love some) and I am really hard to fit into pants so it was a lot of work just finding those jeans! I'm doubtful I will find other pants that fit well in the next week. My thought was to wear one, pack 2. Maybe I'll wear one, pack one. And good idea about the sweats. I just added that to the list at the last minute after reading someone else's list of "wish I had brought" and they included sweat pants.

Toiletries- I will rethink this too, and divide as I'm able.

Again, thanks for help!

You're welcome and I agree - it's the regrouping that can cause problems. And on the days I had to set out the bags for pick-up it was a challenge trying to be sure I had everything with me I would need for the day and not take up space with things I didn't need. I didn't want to have to carry stuff around all day because I forgot to pack it, and the bags already got picked up at 6am.:rolleyes: My backpack was stuffed as it was.

I also have a hard time finding pants that fit. So I hear you on the jeans. This trip I may even try to take a pair. I'll have to see when I pack.:cool:

Personally, I would leave the shorts at home and stick to the jeans. Being from more of a southern climate, you might feel the cooler air a bit more. I also might eliminate a couple of dressy blouses. Dress up isn't a big requirement for Alaska. Swapping the sweats for the PJs is a good idea. If you must take other pants, why not out for capris or something like that. PLUS, you can always pick up a nice sweatshirt in one of the ports, avoiding packing it, and wear it home.

There also was a thread about swimming on an Alaskan cruise. If your ship has an indoor pool, fine, otherwise, unless you are using the very crowded hot tubs, you could leave that home also.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise.

Cheers

Len

Personally, I would leave the shorts at home and stick to the jeans. Being from more of a southern climate, you might feel the cooler air a bit more. I also might eliminate a couple of dressy blouses. Dress up isn't a big requirement for Alaska. Swapping the sweats for the PJs is a good idea. If you must take other pants, why not out for capris or something like that. PLUS, you can always pick up a nice sweatshirt in one of the ports, avoiding packing it, and wear it home.

There also was a thread about swimming on an Alaskan cruise. If your ship has an indoor pool, fine, otherwise, unless you are using the very crowded hot tubs, you could leave that home also.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise.

Cheers

Len

I disagree. After coming back from Alaska 2 weeks ago, I stand by the fact that Alaska is veeery unpredictable! You may want the shorts. Esp. in Denali etc. On the other hand, you may be wearing layered clothes and a coat! ;) I have also been on a few Alaska cruises where we have actually had GREAT outdoor pull time and got sunburnt! Most of the theim, you are correct about wanting to swim in the Solarium pool. :)

Edited by clc6p

I originally did not include shorts but added that when I saw the current temps of 85 in Fairbanks! And I thought we might need them on our 4 days in Vancouver. But maybe I will pull those. The swimsuit was just to enable the hot tub to be an option. I will cut down on the dressy blouses! I'm now wondering if it should be my thicker fleece jacket instead of my thin one! Ah! Choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeans???? Heavy, don't ever dry, and good only for casual. There are so many other options that we never travel with even a single pair of jeans. If you must= wear them on the plane and one time get them washed/dried onboard. They stay wearable for many many days/weeks.

And you can do it- just say you will and take out anything that doesn't fit.

We will be doing the cruise first and then the four night land tour and I think that we're going to just take one good sized roller bag each for the trip and back packs for our day bags. It's almost easier for us to handle that rather than two carry-on sized bags and a day bag each.

we are off the Grand today! we did denali and mckinley first,here is a little hint for you. you need to keep an empty backpack or small carry on with you for the mornings you leave,because you must put out your luggage early in the am.They would pick up the luggage outside your door at 6 or 7 am and your bus usually does not leave for a few more hours. So you need a bag to put your nightclothes and morning toiletries in.

We will be doing the cruise first and then the four night land tour and I think that we're going to just take one good sized roller bag each for the trip and back packs for our day bags. It's almost easier for us to handle that rather than two carry-on sized bags and a day bag each.

With the cruise first, you are probably right that you could do just one large roller bag. It doesn't really make sense when you do the land tour first. Then again, I'm not sure how that works, do they give you an option to send a bag ahead to Anchorage when you board the ship, if you do the cruise first? I think they do.

We travelled on the land first and it was helpful to send a bag ahead to join us on the ship. We sent one large bag with both my husband's and my stuff.

They would pick up the luggage outside your door at 6 or 7 am and your bus usually does not leave for a few more hours. So you need a bag to put your nightclothes and morning toiletries in.

Or what we did was get up and dressed, pack, set the bags out, and go eat and explore. We didn't want to carry extra stuff with us and we didn't mind being up early.

We leave in July on the Oosterdam. I have already been gathering things together for the trip and doing a mock packing. Yes, I have added and taken out things. I was advised to be prepared for all sorts of weather. I met people yesterday who said the port temps are comfortable but when you are cruising, it can be quite cold. They wished they had been better prepared in the leg area (knee socks or like cuddle duds to wear under pants.) I have 4 pair of jeans I plan to take. I have spent enough money and I do not want to spend more money and buy other pants. For each of us we are taking a 22 inch roll on for the land, a back pack plus one 28 that will be packed for the ship. Have a great trip!

If you have bulky clothes.... wear it during the flight...

Instead of jeans... my fav are cargo pants. What add's weight to my luggage (camera batteries? Chargers?) can go in my cargo or jacket pockets.

We were inland AK the first week in June, and I wore shorts a lot! You wouldn't think it would feel warmer than it was, but because of the length of daylight, it felt warmer. We did inland on our own and did laundry at the McKinley lodge - but there's only 1 washer and 2 dryers per bldg. (didn't make sense to me, but that's what it was). I was thankful I took some leggings and wore those more than jeans. Unless you are a hiker and are sure you are going to hike, don't pack the boots. I packed mine and wished I hadn't.

If you are white water rafting, you will need layers of clothes including wool socks if you are not paddling. Some companies have trips where their guide does all the paddling and you won't be as warm as those who paddle. You wear gortex dry suits but will still feel the coldness of the water, just not the wet. It's an incredible trip if you get the chance.