Explorer OTS Formal Night

How formal are formal nights on board Explorer.Do most men wear dinner jackets in the main dining room?

It's pretty much a split. Sometimes many men dress for formal night, sometimes less. But, as many will point out, it's not enforced. Me, I dress for it as we like the event. But here are the current dress codes copied and pasted from RCCL. What you decide to do is up to you.

"Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)"

From my limited experience of formal night over past few years I have noticed that the vast majority of people dress up on formal night s when sailing from the UK. Not sure whether it's because we take longer cruises with 3 formal nights and most cruisers are from UK so don't have the constraints of an airline luggage allowance or whether we just like to dress up more.

There are lots of long evening gowns, cocktail dresses, tuxedos, smart suits and even kilts to be seen. Even my teens wear suits for dinner then may go and get changed for teen club activities.

From my limited experience of formal night over past few years I have noticed that the vast majority of people dress up on formal night s when sailing from the UK. Not sure whether it's because we take longer cruises with 3 formal nights and most cruisers are from UK so don't have the constraints of an airline luggage allowance or whether we just like to dress up more.

There are lots of long evening gowns, cocktail dresses, tuxedos, smart suits and even kilts to be seen. Even my teens wear suits for dinner then may go and get changed for teen club activities.

Ive just ordered another formal gown.....to do to the three I already have. A girl needs a choice. Not sure my husband will agree

Karen

Ive just ordered another formal gown.....to do to the three I already have. A girl needs a choice. Not sure my husband will agree

Karen

I totally agree👍.... You can never have too many dresses...I hope you have plenty of shoes too:D

When will you be sailing😎

Edited by Meg67

We were on the Explorer doing the Norway cruise last month with mostly UK people on board. Yes, many did dress formally, tux and or black suit. Women in everything form super gowns/designer outfits to dowdy yesteryears work cloths, some lesser dressed women along side their tuxed counter parts. Ah, yes some women in clothes, just like America, just because they make it your size maybe you should not wear it.

Many on the so called formal night, were not dressed at all and it was not unusual to see a big table, with half in formal attire and the other have in regular clothes.

Note this is from my vantage point and I'm not a fashion policeman looking or caring how others dress.

IMHO dress to the nines if you want to, and or just looked a bit nicer on Formal night and you will be happy.

Yes I've got shoes covered too. Sailing on July 26th....really counting down the days now

We sail on the 12th.... I'm so so excited now...The suitcases are out of the loft and just need packing... .. Hope you have a fab time😎

Meg😎

You too. Not long now. Is it three formals on a two week cruise

Karen

I don't know, I've only cruised once before and that was only for 1 week.

I must say, I love getting dressed up so really looking forward to the formal evenings

Meg:)

• 2 weeks later...
3 formals is great. Means I can wear all three of my new evening dresses.

Yes Karen we will be having 3 formal nights, Day 2, usually day 11 or 12 and one somewhere in the middle.

Will be looking out for your evening gowns!!

Michelle x

For those of you either ON Explorer now or going on her in the next few days, could you please let me know who the Activity Manager is onboard your sailing.

I would appreciate it.

Just off today, the Activity Manager was a girl called Elizabeth and was English, sorry never caught the surname.

Just off today, the Activity Manager was a girl called Elizabeth and was English, sorry never caught the surname.

THANK YOU!

There was an English young lady named Elizabeth Haggerty that was on Voyager a few months ago, and may now be on Explorer.

Most of the information that I get is from cruisers and sometimes it is not clear when they complete a contract and go on vacation and then are assigned to another ship.

I very much appreciate what you have shared with me.