Booking 12 meter America's Cup in St. marten.

Hi everyone:

I'm hoping someone has an idea. I wanted to book this excursion myself (not with the cruise ship) and they must have some sort of agreement to not accept cruise passengers except through the cruise line. Now, they will book if you have a hotel on the island ... Any ideas? I'm sure it's cheaper than the $170. The ship wants to charge for 3 hours. The pier is within walking distance of the ship, but I want to be assured of a spot...

BTW I did this approx. 10 years ago and it was an absolute blast!!

Thank you for any input.

Peggy

It's common for an excursion company who is contracted with the cruise line to NOT accept anyone from the ship, unless you book thru the ship

Unless things have changed, you cannot book unless you do so thru the cruise line.

I loved it but once was enough for me.

We also did it on our cruise and enjoyed it very much.

I suspect that the requirement to book though the cruise line or through a hotel instead of individually is a matter of logistics. They need the boats to have a set number of people in them to provide the experience they are selling. Much of the fun is being part of the crew operating the boats in a simulated America's Cup race and not just being there for a ride. If only half a boat gets reserved by individuals, then they can't do the excursion since the passengers do much of the "work". Two full boats are needed because the boats race against each other.

By limiting the reservations to hotel or ship guests, they have a better chance of filling the boats and not having to cancel the excursion.

Edited by SantaFeFan

When we did this excursion a few years ago I was unable to find a way to book outside of the ship. I would think that the ship would be cheaper and less hassle than booking a hotel room, getting to the hotel for pickup, etc.

I have found a site to book that is $70. Pp cheaper, and I am now waiting for confirmation. I will let you know if it goes through.

Thanks again - and yes this was a favourite excursion of mine also - it just seems a little steep!!

The discount site rejected my confirmation siting the date as unavailable! I realize the cruise ships have to make a profit but $70. US per person is highway robbery. The pier is within walking distance from the ship!!

Thanks again for the info - I have one more option, and if that doesn't work I will book through the cruise. It has become a matter of principle and a challenge!!

When this excursion is contracted by the cruise, the only way to book it is thru the cruise line. ;)

Great Excursion! :D

Exactly - on both comments! :cool:

As an outsider who doesn't want to book through the cruise line, your chance of getting a spot is nil.

Edited by SantaFeFan