To Choose by Ship or Itinerary?

We're more eclectic in our selection. We've booked based on ship, itinerary, departure port, price, and available date. We follow no pattern and tend to book when we see something that strikes our fancy. However, for myself, I like any ship in the Conquest, Splendor or Triumph classes since they still have cigar bars.

I like to choose by ports/shore excursion. I like to look ahead and see what might be the most interesting experience that I could have on the islands then decide based on that. It might include returning to a place that I've been to before or it might mean going someplace new.

That being said I love Jamaica and dislike the ABCs islands. I think there is a lot more variety of activities to do.

I am now deciding on the Vista for the ship and the Sunshine for the ports. I have yet to be on a cruise that I did not enjoy -regardless of cruise line.

Aruba has been on my list forever.......

My only Carnival cruise was last April and had so much fun mostly due to all the great people I met here on Cruise Critic. That was my first cruise without kids, and this one will also be without kids.......so I am hoping to get lucky the second time around!

SO as it stands now I am 70% Sunshine and 30% Vista.........

those Havana Rooms and private area is taunting me.

Our first cruise was booked solely on the ports, as was our second (and upcoming) cruise. We actually ended up booking the same ship and although I know there are nicer ones out there, the nicer ones don't go on our chosen itinerary at our chosen time of year :)

I think that the ship is important of course, but I view cruising as an affordable way to travel to places I probably could never afford otherwise. Of course I'm still new to cruising so as we continue to cruise and visit new places, that may change.

That said, in your situation I may be inclined to choose the Vista, even though you've been to those ports before. It's a new ship and those Havana interior rooms look very nice. Plus if the price is similar to the Sunshine, that would be almost too good to pass up. In these situations I like to make a pro/con list to add to the stress :)

I won't book any of the old Carnival ships like Elation, Fascination, any more, been there done that.

I usually stick to Conquest class, now just booked Magic for the 1st time. Itinerary is important, and I jumped at the chance for the Journey cruises to a few ports like Martinique, Bonaire and Curacao that I haven't been to yet.

BTW, whether the ship has Guy's burgers is a NON factor in choosing my cruises.

so funny evandbob - there was a Guys Burgers on the Liberty and it is NOTHING to write home about. I don't get people's fascination. I am a foodie and know that when I cruise I am just going to be eating ok food. On a cruise I am more interested in socializing, ports and a few good cocktails :-)

I think I need to make a pro and con list!

Edited by escentialssoycandles

so funny evandbob - there was a Guys Burgers on the Liberty and it is NOTHING to write home about. I don't get people's fascination. I am a foodie and know that when I cruise I am just going to be eating ok food. On a cruise I am more interested in socializing, ports and a few good cocktails :-)

I think I need to make a pro and con list!

There is another current thread with Guy's Burgers in the heading and some posted that they couldn't cruise without them.......swore they were the ultimate in dining satisfaction, etc etc etc.

There's a bolt for every screw I guess.

I tend to go more for the ports, 60 percent importance, but if I had a chance to take a ship that I really wanted to try I would go with ship.

There are very few ships that would cause me to do Western CRB, again though.

Considering the ports and ship on the 4, I say Sunshine. Plus, that PC is so close is a big benefit too.