Tips for Pisa on your own....

SmithieNix

I am sure I have read somewhere on CC about travel from the port to Pisa, but can't find where I saw it. The trips that are offered from the ship (P&O) all look lovely, but don't include a trip up the tower, and I am worried that we won't have time to do that within the 45 mins of free time. I know you can book times on the website, but I wouldn't know what time we will have to book to fit in with the return to the ship. We have a full day in Livorno so time is not really an issue. So I think a DIY day is called for. Help and advice please.... Thanks. :)

When we were there (Livorno) in 2008 we took the ship's shuttle into town and was dropped off at the town square. We were going to DIY and catch a train to Pisa but decided to pay $15eu each for a tour company to take us. The tour company's kiosk was located behind the McDonald's by the town square. The DIY savings wouldn't of been dramatic so to be dropped off close to the tower and the stress free travel made it worthwhile. I think they gave us 3 hours to explore the area.

I am sure I have read somewhere on CC about travel from the port to Pisa, but can't find where I saw it. The trips that are offered from the ship (P&O) all look lovely, but don't include a trip up the tower, and I am worried that we won't have time to do that within the 45 mins of free time. I know you can book times on the website, but I wouldn't know what time we will have to book to fit in with the return to the ship. We have a full day in Livorno so time is not really an issue. So I think a DIY day is called for. Help and advice please.... Thanks. :)

You'd be surprised how much you can accomplish in Pisa in just 45 minutes. When we ported in Livorno, we hired a private taxi that took us to both Pisa and Florence on our own time.

Check out this website:

http://shareashoreexcursion.com

You can look up your cruise and see if anyone is looking for others to share a private excursion/taxi in order to lower costs. You can also find your own and solicit for others on your ship to join you. That's what we did and it worked out great.

IMHO, 45 min at the Field of Miracles is probably 44 min too long :). Yes, the Tower is picturesque, but once you see it then its time to move on (unless you have tickets to climb). The surrounding grounds are very attractive and DW and I have picnicked there while on a driving trip. But for cruisers, other then a quick glance their time is better spent in other places (such as Florence, Lucca, etc).

Hank