Taking food of the ship

Kohara

Doing a long whale watching excursion in Juneau, but afterward I'm going on a couple hikes and won't have time to return to ship or stop anywhere for lunch without skipping a trail. Can you take off food with you? Does it have to be sealed? Or is it a complete no go? I was thinking of loading up on apples and bananas if possible to eat on the go..non NCL Jewel were can I find snacks your allowed to take off?

As far as I know you cannot take fruit off the ship in Alaska. If you need to stock up take some pre packaged cereal bars, chocolate bars etc

There are plenty of prepackaged foods that are acceptable for taking ashore without risking their environment.

it's not like they control this, as you only go through an x-ray/whatever machine when boarding...

I have been to quite a few ports with hand inspections and/or agriculture dogs ( Cozumel and Port Canaveral come to mind)

it's not like they control this, as you only go through an x-ray/whatever machine when boarding...

The reason for the food ban is that products ( meat, dairy fruit etc) from different countries can cause serious damage to the local environment. We had a very bad case of foot & mouth in England possibly caused by something brought in from abroad.

It helps if people keep to the rules even if the sniffer dogs or X-rays aren't being used.

They don't have the rule to stop you having fun just to keep their country safe.

I've done that whale watching tour, from Juneau. They provided a nice lunch for us, and when they heard that I had celiac, they provided a special lunch for me, at no additional cost. The vendor really went the extra mile for us, and I reciprocated the gesture, with a very nice tip and thank you card. It never hurts to ask, I'd call and talk to a cruise consultant...