Customizing the cost of a cruise

Just a thought. My wife & I had a sparkling cruise on the Oasis a number of months ago. Virtually everything exceeded our expectations. We'll be back!!

But, we hardly ever had any meals in the MDR. Our choice was usually the WJ or perhaps a specialty restaurant. Although we were in a GS, the perks weren't a material part of our decision to go with the GS. We simply enjoy the extra room.

Why can't there be a lower fare for folks like us who do not partake in the dining experience that so many enjoy in the MDR? I would deduct approx. $300.00 off the individual fare & name the new program "Cruise Class". This would entitle you to the WJ & other free venues. You would get a different color card to be easily recognizable by the staff. You would pay the regular specialty dining prices or if you choose the MDR, an additional charge of $50.00 pp would be added. This would allow a cruise to truly be customized to each individual. So, essentially it's a plan that allows you to pay for what you use & personalize your vacation.

So fire-away with any thoughts you may have. Don't concern yourself about offending me, I've been married for 45 years so my ego has more holes in it than my prostate!!

Be Well,

fmhealth

It sounds like you are suggesting something like NCL's dining package. Your base fare includes venues like the Windjammer and MDR so I don't think they would reduce your fare. But like NCL, they offer a premium dining package for those who want it at an additional cost.

Just a thought. My wife & I had a sparkling cruise on the Oasis a number of months ago. Virtually everything exceeded our expectations. We'll be back!!

But, we hardly ever had any meals in the MDR. Our choice was usually the WJ or perhaps a specialty restaurant. Although we were in a GS, the perks weren't a material part of our decision to go with the GS. We simply enjoy the extra room.

Why can't there be a lower fare for folks like us who do not partake in the dining experience that so many enjoy in the MDR? I would deduct approx. $300.00 off the individual fare & name the new program "Cruise Class". This would entitle you to the WJ & other free venues. You would get a different color card to be easily recognizable by the staff. You would pay the regular specialty dining prices or if you choose the MDR, an additional charge of $50.00 pp would be added. This would allow a cruise to truly be customized to each individual. So, essentially it's a plan that allows you to pay for what you use & personalize your vacation.

So fire-away with any thoughts you may have. Don't concern yourself about offending me, I've been married for 45 years so my ego has more holes in it than my prostate!!

Be Well,

fmhealth

On average Royal spends only $15pp per day for all the free food which includes MDR, WJ and other free venues and that is for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. That $105pp per week.

Not sure how that can be reduced any to give people any sort of break in the fare. Food in the WJ costs the same as it does in the MDR .

The airlines do this. They charge for luggage so those who don't check luggage don't have to pay. They charge for meals so those who choose not to eat don't have to pay. And people whine about it constantly.

Cruise lines charge for drinks...people whine about the price of drinks.

Cruise lines charge for internet..people whine about the cost of internet time.

Cruise lines charge for specialty dining..people whine about paying for specialty dining.

Cruise lines charge for shore excursions..people whine about paying for shore excursions.

If you read the posts, people whine constantly about being "nickel and dimed" by the cruise line. Adding a cost for the MDR? Not seeing that as a good idea.

Edited by papaflamingo

If they gave a credit back for the MDR, they would then raise the cost of the of the speciality. Part of the pricing level for the speciality ASSUMES they are saving a bit on not having you eat in the MDR.

One way or the other, you will pay. Simple business.