My Dream cruise. An honest report.

OK, So I have a cruise booked on the Dream in Sept. When I booked it I read all these great reviews of Carnival and the Dream and robes and chocolates and all the wonderful extras they have to offer. Now as it gets closer to cruise time I am reading how many extras are going away. It seems I picked a bad time to start cruising. :(

I never used the robes and the chocolates were just gross to begin with. They are definitely not the reasons I cruise and I doubt you will ever miss them....

OK, So I have a cruise booked on the Dream in Sept. When I booked it I read all these great reviews of Carnival and the Dream and robes and chocolates and all the wonderful extras they have to offer. Now as it gets closer to cruise time I am reading how many extras are going away. It seems I picked a bad time to start cruising. :(

You are waaaaay too worried about this. The robes and chocolate are not a big deal. I've been cruising on Carnival for 10 years and a lot has changed over that time, some for the better, some not.

I mean this in a nice way, but at least go on your first cruise with an open mind before you get worked up over a minor minor "cutback". Relax and get ready to enjoy your cruise ;)

Good lord, please don't fret over anything anyone says here. The number of people who cruise, and who are completely happy with their experience, is vastly higher than the number of people who post on Cruise Critic.

I am sure that these are just minor cutbacks--I am just say--its just my kind of luck-I get on board something and it just goes down hill

Don't sweat the small stuff. The chocolates were terrible. Never used their robe, so don't know how big a deal that is.

As for the dining, if someone is going to use ATD, they need to expect a wait. An hour seems too long. Twenty minutes is nothing. People who can't wait 20 minutes to eat shouldn't be doing ATD.

I'm a little surprised that people think the OP didn't have a great time. She said it herself, good food, good entertainment, smiling kids.....what am I missing?

Edited by Hoosierpop

I never used the robes and the chocolates were just gross to begin with. They are definitely not the reasons I cruise and I doubt you will ever miss them....

I have to agree with you ... I never used the robes and nor did I like the chocolates now my kids loved the chocolates so they maybe sad but they will not let that mess up there cruise....)

Thanks for your honest review! We were on the Breeze and had the same problem with lines and a long time at dinner. We also used the buffet more because of that but it didn't really bother us. We don't cruise for the food. We had a great cruise just like you! We just avoided the places where there were lines. We are booked on the Dream next April but the last week and hopefully because it isn't around school vacations it won't be as crowded.

LOL. Yeah, I always laugh when someone puts "honest" in their review title. Because, you know, the rest of us who write reviews are just a bunch of lying dogs! :p

I had robes and chocolates on Conquest on 5/31. Haven't eaten the chocolates for about 10 years. Only just remembered that there was no goody basket in the bathroom, but those items have trickled away over the past 5 years, so no surprise. Anyone reading here should know not to expect anything useful there. I put the robe on when I get out of the shower. If there isn't one, it won't be the end of my Carnival cruising days.

I don't care for ATD. I've tried it twice, as a solo, and just don't like it very much. I like having a set wait team, and if you want that with ATD, then you'll probably have to wait. I did on Freedom last December. The flexibility is nice, but if you wait to go when you're hungry and then have a 30 minute wait for a table with a particular wait team, it isn't much fun.

I haven't sailed on the newest ships. The Conquest-class (and Splendor) are too big for my tastes.

But I don't sail for the ship, anyway. I end up on whatever ship happens to be sailing the cruise I want to book. I've read some poor reviews of Sunshine. And some good ones. I'll be on her because of the itinerary, not the ship. I'll deal whatever I encounter and enjoy my 11 nights with 8 beautiful ports.

I haven't been on the Dream but I've been on RCCL Oasis of the Sea and I had the same issue with crowds and lines. You can find quiet spots on the large ships but I ended up going back to my cabin at times because I just couldn't stand the lack of personal space.

I was going to comment on how I was crucified for using the word honest on a review. I finally had to close the thread. The rudeness was unbelievable. I don't know why the people were so defensive but it wasn't worth it to continue my review. There were some people that liked my review and wanted to read it but there were some terrible bullies.

Thank you for your "honest" review.

For some, using "honest" in the title of a review has the connotation that folks can disregard everything that's been said about a particular trip because others weren't being honest. It implies that they are the only one being truthful. It's the same as telling a story, and then having someone else say, "Here's REALLY happened."

I would hope that everyone who writes a review is being honest (though I understand that that's wishful thinking on my part). Some people simply have an axe to grind, while others are trying to get a reaction. And then there are people who no doubt take things that happen out of context, and let the small stuff ruin their trip.

Sometimes, as has happened with this thread, the OP actually had a good time, but didn't make it sound that way.

I haven't been on the Dream but I've been on RCCL Oasis of the Sea and I had the same issue with crowds and lines. You can find quiet spots on the large ships but I ended up going back to my cabin at times because I just couldn't stand the lack of personal space.

I was going to comment on how I was crucified for using the word honest on a review. I finally had to close the thread. The rudeness was unbelievable. I don't know why the people were so defensive but it wasn't worth it to continue my review. There were some people that liked my review and wanted to read it but there were some terrible bullies.

Thank you for your "honest" review.

But, see, the vast majority of people are being "honest" and don't feel the need to put it in the thread title. By putting it in there, you're implying that others aren't honest.

At least, that's how it comes across. To me. And then, when there's a bunch of negative comments right away, it also implies that if you haven't experienced the negatives, you weren't being honest.

It's all subjective. When I write a review, I try to be as objective as possible. But, really, I'm just relaying what happened TO ME. I don't try to imply that every person had the same experiences or will have them on future sailings.

Every single person has a different experience on every single sailing. So what "honestly" happened to one may be 180 degrees from what their next-door-neighbor experienced on the same sailing. That person's experience isn't any more (or less) honest/real than the other's!

Anyway, if people want to read my reviews, that's fine. It's time consuming to write and I hope there are some who appreciate the effort. But if people don't read them, I'm fine with that, too. They're just my perceptions and memories of the cruise. If someone gets something from that, I'm happy they found it useful.

I appreciate the OP sharing her thoughts. While I don't base my cruise choices on the ship, I do like to read what others have to say about them.

Sorry to hear your experience on the Dream was less than stellar. We were on the Dream this past January and didn't really experience what you're describing, so I'm wondering what changed in that timeframe.

There were lines for various things throughout the ship, but nothing out of the ordinary from what I could tell, and they moved at a reasonable pace. The only truly daunting line we saw was the comedy club when they shoo'd everyone out after the first performance so they could line up for the second one. Room service we ordered nearly every day and never had to wait more than half an hour.

Thank you for your review. I thought you were very fair and since this is CC....each person is allowed to write his/her own opinion. Every person has his/her own list of necessaries for cruising. Although I LOVED my DREAM cruise....I much prefer the Conquest Class of ships. We cruise in an Ocean Suite and I do not like having the open deck below us. It makes it much less private and does interfere with our view. Again...just my opinion.

I would definitely miss the robes!! Wear it on the balcony EVERY morning!

We were on the DREAM last fourth of July and they had the BEST deck party ever at night!! It honestly was amazing. They passed out glow sticks, necklaces, and pinwheels to just about everyone on deck. They cranked up the movie screen and played music for dancing and games. They played a music video of "The Star Spangled Banner" and "God Bless America...and it was amazing!! I am sorry that they did not do this again. I have been on several cruises on the 4th of July and this is the only one that really "did it up right!" Most of the time the best we got was hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill and a few "patriotic" trivia games.

Thanks again for a fair review.

I am sure that these are just minor cutbacks--I am just say--its just my kind of luck-I get on board something and it just goes down hill

Oh, so it's YOUR fault..... Now we know who to blame. :D hehehe

Edited by LadyDAC

I was on the Dream for the June 21 sailing and we had robes in our cabin. I began cruising Carnival 30 years ago. We took time off to have kids and have been cruising consistently since 2000 with our kids. 21 Carnival cruises. I can look back on the prices for the last 15 years and the price has not changed that much! It's still the best way to travel with family and friends and not have to spend a fortune. When we go on other vacations, the price with meals, entertainment, etc it is crazy. Carnival has made some changes, but it's still a great time. Your cruise is what you make of it! I feel some people have too great of expectations. Just saying!

To clarify: We were never given a pager, were seated once we got to the front of the line. Im saying that we waited in line that long to get up to the podium where the girl could sign us in. Im not sure what the issue was. I didn't let it ruin my trip, im already looking into sailing again, just not on this ship. Its too crowded for me. Just thought people would want to know. My advice is to not do ATD on this particular ship.

Don't write off big ships. RCCL knows and understands crowd control, and the ship is designed, and managed with this in mind.

I am a little disappointed actually about the robes and chocolates. I won't let it ruin my trip but I love a chocolate right before bed. The robe I started to use several years ago because I always get up earlier than my dh and to go out on the balcony sometimes before the sun is up gets a little chilly. It is so easy to grab the robe in the dark and head outside. I will have to get a sweater for that now. Unless robes are maybe optional in your preferences like they are on Princess which by the way our last cruise on Princess had terrible thin and scratchy robes while Carnival's are thicker and luxurious! :D Hope they rethink them.