Zaandan - June 28th

RD64

We just returned from an excellent Inside Passage cruise on the Zaandam (Vancouver to Anchorage). If anyone has questions, I will try to answer. Excellent food, excellent weather (I came home with a tan), and the most congenial and considerate group of fellow passengers I have ever seen on a ship.

For those of you with upcoming cruises - if you are down for Anytime/As you Wish dining - Table 107 (4 top), and Tables 107 and 109 (6 tops) are right next to the windows. Table 139 is across from 107 and has a great view even though it is not next to the window. The wait staff for all four of these tables is the same and beyond amazing.

My only complaints were misinformation about a transfer from the shore excursion personnel as well as the misinformation on the actual paperwork received, the very light drinks (particularly in the Lido and Mix bars) - especially during Happy Hour, and the system for making reservations in the Rotterdam Dining Room. All in all small little complaints that did not affect the total enjoyment of this cruise. I highly recommend this itinerary and would have gladly done the reverse voyage back to Vancouver.

- and don't forget to try the Dutch Pea Soup served on deck and in the Crow's Nest - during Glacier Bay.

Cheers

Edited by RD64

We are booked on the July 26 sailing and we are doing both ways so we visit some of the ports twice. We are a family of 4. Our son is 14 and our daughter is 12. Did you notice a lot of kids on the cruise? This is our first time cruising with HAL and we are looking forward to it. What kind of excursions did you do?

Mommasaurus

The passenger demographic was quite diverse - everything from babes in arms to octogenarians.

It is hard to say, but I would estimate that there were between 50 and 100 extremely well behaved under 18, year olds on board. They were totally unobtrusive - and except on the sea days, you never really knew there were any children.

I notice you are from Ottawa - this was my first cruise in which I found there to be only a handful of passengers from Ontario. The majority of the Canadians were from BC or the Western provinces. Fortunately, our cruise was over Canada Day, and there was a Canada Day party in the Crow's Nest - there was someone in a moose costume, a Canadian employee with a Miss Canada sash, a Canadian flag cake, music by Canadian artists, Oh Canada - seriously one of the best cruise ship parties I have been to in over thirty cruises.

Formal nights were not as formal as on other itineraries - only one tux - most men in the Rotterdam dining room had on a jacket/tie but quite a few did not. Women were dressed nicely but nothing over the top. Dress nicely and you will be fine.

Overall this was a very casual cruise - jeans jeans and lots of jeans. It suited the itinerary - I think that people were very tired by dinner time (I know I was) and just did not feel like changing again for dinner - I forget which night it was, but the lower level of the Rotterdam was maybe 1/3 occupied.

Formal nights were not as formal as on other itineraries - only one tux - most men in the Rotterdam dining room had on a jacket/tie but quite a few did not. Women were dressed nicely but nothing over the top. Dress nicely and you will be fine.

Overall this was a very casual cruise - jeans jeans and lots of jeans. It suited the itinerary - I think that people were very tired by dinner time (I know I was) and just did not feel like changing again for dinner - I forget which night it was, but the lower level of the Rotterdam was maybe 1/3 occupied.

so jackets are not required? don't want to use packing room if not necessary.

According to the documents and the daily program - yes - they are required. However, on this particular cruise the policy was not enforced. My father made a point of pointing out every person who was not wearing one in the dining room.

I think that the guy doing reservations and seating for open seating was so overwhelmed that he did not care who had a jacket and who did not.

I would pack one just in case.

Great to see your post and hear you had a good cruise. We are doing the last southbound of the season on the Zaandam in September. It will be our third cruise, first on HAL.

Since we're going to be in Alaska, the one thing I really want to make sure I get done is a delicious crab meal.

Did you happen to enjoy a good crab meal anywhere on the cruise that you would recommend?

Great to see your post and hear you had a good cruise. We are doing the last southbound of the season on the Zaandam in September. It will be our third cruise, first on HAL.

Since we're going to be in Alaska, the one thing I really want to make sure I get done is a delicious crab meal.

Did you happen to enjoy a good crab meal anywhere on the cruise that you would recommend?

We returned to Vancouver on the Zaandam on the 28th. We had several meals of crab -- King crab legs at the restaurant in the Westmark Hotel in Fairbanks, crab roll at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau, Dungeness crab at the Alaska Fish House in Ketchikan. All very, very good in our opinion!

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the heads up on the Dutch pea soup ! I just booked for the July 19th southbound sailing. Can anyone tell me if Zaandam was refitted with The Mix during a recent dry dock ? I sure hope not ! I was under the impression that this was done on Volendam, not Zaandam . Today when I looked at deck plans for Zaandam it showed that The Mix is there. I know that sometimes a cruise line will use the same deck plan for different ships of a same/similar ship. I truly hope this is an error from HAL. IMHO, The Mix is a horrible idea. The one I saw on Veendam was atrocious at best. I wish cruise line management would leave things well enough alone. Zaandam was perfect just the way she was.

I can't tell you about the laundry room as we did not use it.

"The Mix" is a grouping of Piano bar, Martini bar, and Sports bar - in their own separate sections, yet connected, and flowing into to each other. Prior to this - it has been about ten years since I was on the Zaandam - this area had smaller separate enclosed sections.

Hi RD64,

What can you tell me about the nightly shows, the house band and Cruise Director that hosts trivia. We will be on the repositioning voyage in September and all that comes into play much more on the many sea days.

I can't tell you about the laundry room as we did not use it.

"The Mix" is a grouping of Piano bar, Martini bar, and Sports bar - in their own separate sections, yet connected, and flowing into to each other. Prior to this - it has been about ten years since I was on the Zaandam - this area had smaller separate enclosed sections.

Oh, I get it. Sounds like a nice arrangement, all flowing together.

thanks for clearing that up!

Eleanor

I am not a fan of the song/dance shows - I just find them the same old thing, and share Simon Cowell's opinion on the general level of talent.

The comedians were good, and one night there was a very good violinist who played the violin with a modern twist (Who would have Taylor Swift songs sound good on the violin).

Bruce the current cruise director was quite good at his job - he has been doing it since 1992 - a true cruise director - not a rah rah rah summer camp counsellor kind of guy. However he will be leaving this month (or next) for holidays before returning to the Prinsendam.

The comedians were good, and one night there was a very good violinist who played the violin with a modern twist (Who would have Taylor Swift songs sound good on the violin).

Bruce the current cruise director was quite good at his job - he has been doing it since 1992 - a true cruise director - not a rah rah rah summer camp counsellor kind of guy. However he will be leaving this month (or next) for holidays before returning to the Prinsendam.

Posting the names of these people would be very helpful. There's many comedians, violinists, and cruise directors out there, and they move around from ship to ship.

It's much easier to have an idea of which shows are worth seeing if there's been a good recommendation posted here.

The violinist on the Zaandam June 28 to July 5 Alaska cruise was Josh Vietti. He was amazing.

Thank you, ClearyCreek. I'll file that name in my memory bank. If I ever see it on a daily program, I'll keep your recommendation in mind.

I was told that there was a self-serve laundry on deck 3. Do you know if there are other self-serve laundry rooms on the Zaandam. We are sailings for two weeks and would like to pack less and do a load or two.

If I remember correctly the only self service laundry on the Zaandam is on deck 3.