MSC have cancelled all port calls to Tunis

ShaunDxb

Malta is one of our favourite ports, in my opinion much better than tunisia

Valetta is a beautiful port. I definitely enjoy going there far more than Tunis where I tend to mooch around the cruise terminal area or stay onboard.

30 tourists were gunned down on the beach by a terrorist.

Well actually more than that. 30 was the number of the fatalities.

British security personnel are still out at Sousse assisting and the Foreign & Commonwealth Office has advised only essential travel. Tour operators have been flying back the remaining Brits for the last 2 days because of a heightened alert of a subsequent attack. Anyone staying on against advice will find their travel insurance invalid and dare say the local embassy will be not too impressed either should they subsequently need help.

Absolutely awful for the friends and family who have lost loved ones and for those still recovering from what may be life changing injuries. Even those who managed to escape the bullets will no doubt have some degree of mental trauma from the terrifying experience.

I feel terrible for the Tunisian people who will suffer greatly from these mindless and evil acts of a few. Those hotel and beach staff who bravely helped the tourists being attacked (some even acting as a human shield) and saved many, will now be out of a job. Tunisia relied a lot on tourism and with no one really going to be going for at least this season, that's a lot of livelihoods gone.

Well actually more than that. 30 was the number of the fatalities.

British security personnel are still out at Sousse assisting and the Foreign & Commonwealth Office has advised only essential travel. Tour operators have been flying back the remaining Brits for the last 2 days because of a heightened alert of a subsequent attack. Anyone staying on against advice will find their travel insurance invalid and dare say the local embassy will be not too impressed either should they subsequently need help.

Absolutely awful for the friends and family who have lost loved ones and for those still recovering from what may be life changing injuries. Even those who managed to escape the bullets will no doubt have some degree of mental trauma from the terrifying experience.

I feel terrible for the Tunisian people who will suffer greatly from these mindless and evil acts of a few. Those hotel and beach staff who bravely helped the tourists being attacked (some even acting as a human shield) and saved many, will now be out of a job. Tunisia relied a lot on tourism and with no one really going to be going for at least this season, that's a lot of livelihoods gone.

So well put, Mairi.

While I won't mind Tunis being removed from itineraries, it's still sad to see that the terrorists are going to achieve their aim of undermining the economy and impoverishing the people of Tunisia by their actions. It's just so painful watching that whole region being torn apart by conflict and countries like Tunisia being dragged into it.

• 1 month later...

I'm still wondering why all cruise don't just remove this port from their itineraries for a few years and evaluate going back - at some later date.

Does anyone really want to go there right now? I must be missing something.....because I think people would be relieved to see it disappear for a while. :confused:

I visited the hotel that was attacked last year and it was beautiful and staff amazing, it is so sad that cruise ships are no longer going to Tunisia, I will have no hesitation in going to this hotel as soon as we are able. Tunisians are lovely people are rely on tourism for majority of their income. I understand why people are wary of going there but isn't this what terrorists want? I honestly believe it's safer going now that's before as security has been put in place. Just my thoughts

I visited the hotel that was attacked last year and it was beautiful and staff amazing, it is so sad that cruise ships are no longer going to Tunisia, I will have no hesitation in going to this hotel as soon as we are able. Tunisians are lovely people are rely on tourism for majority of their income. I understand why people are wary of going there but isn't this what terrorists want? I honestly believe it's safer going now that's before as security has been put in place. Just my thoughts

I agree with your sentiments. If we boycotted eveywhere there had been a terrorist incident on where there might be, we would not leave home. Actually now that I come to think of it thaere was that failed bombing attempt at Edinburgh airport so, can't even stay at home. Looks like I'll have to move to the Western Isles.

On a more serious note, I absolutely do sympathise with the local Tunisian people who had no part in this atrocity and some even risked their own lives to help overseas visitors, but are now very much suffering for a crime they did not commit.

Ultimately the ships will call again. I have 2 med cruises booked in June, one for 2016 and one for 2017 and one has Tunis scheduled. Think it may be the 2017. It's a handy stopping point for ships on a Western Med loop and cheaper to call at than some alternatives in the area. So as long as they feel the risk level has reduced,they will be back.

I agree with your sentiments. If we boycotted eveywhere there had been a terrorist incident on where there might be, we would not leave home. Actually now that I come to think of it thaere was that failed bombing attempt at Edinburgh airport so, can't even stay at home. Looks like I'll have to move to the Western Isles.

On a more serious note, I absolutely do sympathise with the local Tunisian people who had no part in this atrocity and some even risked their own lives to help overseas visitors, but are now very much suffering for a crime they did not commit.

Ultimately the ships will call again. I have 2 med cruises booked in June, one for 2016 and one for 2017 and one has Tunis scheduled. Think it may be the 2017. It's a handy stopping point for ships on a Western Med loop and cheaper to call at than some alternatives in the area. So as long as they feel the risk level has reduced,they will be back.

It was Glasgow Airport. I was still in the Police at the time, and the surviving terrorist was brought to our Station in Govan.

Apparently in response to the state of emergency in Tunisia, MSC have cancelled all port calls to the country until early 2016.

http://www.cruisearabiaonline.com/News/2015/07/09/MSC-Cruises-first-to-suspend-Tunis-following-Tunisia-state-of-emergency-over-Sousse-terror-attack

Malta is the alternate destination.

Finally! good work by MSC

It was Glasgow Airport. I was still in the Police at the time, and the surviving terrorist was brought to our Station in Govan.

There was also an incident at aEdinburgh. Also foiled but by the authorities. My sister and her family were flying out to Florida that day and were held up for hours.