Adult Only Cruises....

jocap

With Adonia leaving for a while, that means adult only cruises happen on just two P&O ships.

Saga and C&M are already adult only, but now I hear that next year Fred Olsen is offering 20 adult only cruises ....is this clever marketing, hopping in where P&O will be lacking?

With Adonia leaving for a while, that means adult only cruises happen on just two P&O ships.

Saga and C&M are already adult only, but now I hear that next year Fred Olsen is offering 20 adult only cruises ....is this clever marketing, hopping in where P&O will be lacking?

For many cruises most ships are adult only. On our USA trip there were only 3 children. One Christmas on Aurora only about 20.

Agree with daiB here. Pick the right cruise and time of year and there'll be very few children. A few years back we sailed on Aurora to Ireland, Greenland, Iceland and Norway and there were only around 10 children. More recently we sailed with Cunard to Norway for 2 weeks and I don't recall seeing any children.

I would guess that longer cruises, especially to more Northern countries or during school term times, would see very few children, either from the cost or lack of interesting things for children to do.

You won't find many children on any of the Fred Olsen ships. They are really not geared up for lots of children and the age range of the majority, not all, passengers is higher than some cruise ships. We have been on Oceana to the Med. and on Azura to the Caribbean three times but we have never found any children to be a nuisance. Outside school holidays there are not many children, other than very young ones, to be found on board.

I would not choose to book an adult only ship again, I have found that the age profile to be far too old. I much prefer a younger mix, and like seeing children around. Who wants to go on a cruise with a bunch of OAP's

I agree with the previous poster. The two adult only cruises that we have taken have had a significantly higher age profile, we are in our mid 50’s and found the ships lacking in late night atmosphere. I would not chose another adult only cruise unlees it was for a particular itinerary. If you cruise outside of the school holidays, if you go north instead of South, or if you chose HAL or similar, then you are unlikely to be troubled by children or teenagers, but are more likely to have a more mixed age profile. It really is just a question of picking the right time of year, the right ship and the right itinereray .

I would not choose to book an adult only ship again, I have found that the age profile to be far too old. I much prefer a younger mix, and like seeing children around. Who wants to go on a cruise with a bunch of OAP's

Well I am off on Arcadia tomorrow so the jury is out for me at the moment. Chosen for the itinerary rather than because adult only. But there were loads of OAP's on my Azura cruise in May - including my OH - many of them much more lively than the younger ones!

Aren't you an OAP yourself WillZander? :) or almost?

Edited by Mysticalmother

Totally agree. I wouldn't want to spend my holiday on a floating nursing home!

Well I am off on Arcadia tomorrow so the jury is out for me at the moment. Chosen for the itinerary rather than because adult only. But there were loads of OAP's on my Azura cruise in May - including my OH - many of them much more lively than the younger ones!

Aren't you an OAP yourself WillZander? :) or almost?

Correct, but young in outlook and attitude. Many people in their 40's & 50's seem to be prematurely old and I agree that some OAP's (how I hate that term) are quite lively, but I don't want the whole ship full of them.