Amsterdam In Drydock

Venture

After completing her refit, ISLAND PRINCESS left the Victoria drydock overnight sunday and was quickly replaced by HAL's AMSTERDAM for her SOE upgrades.

Sadly, by 11 a.m. today, sections of the new Loft & The Oasis had already been lifted to the Lido Deck aft. Yes, most of the upgrades are great, particularly the Explorations Cafe' and accommodations improvements. I can not understand that 'true' HAL enthusiasts are not outraged with the loss of so much deck space now solely dedicated for 'Teens Only'.

I can understand this play area added to the 'S' ships but really not necessary on the 'R' ships. How many teens will be in AMSTERDAM on her 'around the world ' cruise next year? Probably the same number we had aboard the ROTTERDAM this past april on her trans-atlantic after her SOE upgrades.... zero!!

Sadly, by 11 a.m. today, sections of the new Loft & The Oasis had already been lifted to the Lido Deck aft. Yes, most of the upgrades are great, particularly the Explorations Cafe' and accommodations improvements. I can not understand that 'true' HAL enthusiasts are not outraged with the loss of so much deck space now solely dedicated for 'Teens Only'.

I think HAL is trying to attract the family market. I would also guess that in the case of a World Cruise, with no teenagers onboard, the Oasis and Loft areas will probably be "reconfigured" for adult use.

Maybe there are plans to use the Amsterdam for more "family oriented" sailings in the future?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would have to think, and agree with Rita, that there are plans ahead that will probably make sense of the SOE work. Maybe it happens all the time and I've just never paid attention before but it seems to me that HAL, and a couple of other lines, are into fairly significant reporting of ships over the next few years. Anyhow, this gives HAL full flexibility to use any ship on any itinerary without having to consider if it's configured one way or the other as they'll all be pretty much the same.

I think all the HAL ships are being refitted with this special sections for teens.

It would behove everyone to remember that we were all once teenagers. Don't forget the Teens of today in sixty years will be the otegenarians and may they still be sailing with HAL and may they not complain about the teens.

Venture, I agree. It's a shame to eliminate deck space that enables passengers to enjoy the sea. After all, that's the reason many of us like cruising.

The observation deck in front of the gym on Lido Deck has been a great spot to see Prince Chrisitan Sound and Antarctic waters, yet still have an opportunity to be out of so much chill wind.

Now there's to be less space aft, too?

Not every ship has to be able to do it all.

I think all the HAL ships are being refitted with this special sections for teens.

It would behove everyone to remember that we were all once teenagers. Don't forget the Teens of today in sixty years will be the otegenarians and may they still be sailing with HAL and may they not complain about the teens.

The Vista ships and the Prinsendam will not get the Oasis section for the teens - only the S & R ships.

Himself.... Please do not think that I am complaining about teens or children of any age, for I am not.

My opinion is that the AMSTERDAM , and other 'R' ships, are losing a large amount of precious open deck space to the Loft & Oasis.

To support my claim,please look at a 'new' HAL brochure with the AMSTERDAM deck plans which have the SOE upgrades, then compare it with a pre-upgrade AMSTERDAM deck plan. Compare the aft Sports Deck.... you will see what the vast number of HAL cruisers who will be sailing aboard her will be missing.... you will see the difference.

To me of more concern is the loss of the observation deck in front of the gym.:mad: If you look at the pictures of the Rotterdam which has already gone thru SOE you will see that the gym was extended to make room for the thermal spa. There is no longer an observation deck in front of the gym as it was extended forward to the railing. Also this screwed up the view from the crows nest as you can no longer see the bow of the ship because of the roof of the extension below you.:( HAL wants more families on board but the kids still have to go to school and families can only cruise at certain times of the year. While HAL's bread and butter (retiree's) can and do cruise all year long.

bruceh4....You are correct- only the small area above the bridge 'wings' on Lido Deck is open on the 'R' ships.

The 'new' brochure deck plans of the 'R' ships show a complete forward open Lido Deck- this is not true. As Ruth indicates, this open deck space was so beneficial for viewing in so many areas of the world, such as the Panama Canal.

I am not the only one that has opinions in this regard- similar feelings as mine were expressed to me from senior officers aboard ROTTERDAM on a recent 18 day crossing.

I still like HAL, my wife and I will be aboard VEENDAM for 14 days on Nov 26 and are looking forward to meet other CC folks. We would also like to sail to Hawaii in Oct/06 aboard ZAANDAM- if I can get the fare down!

How many teens will be in AMSTERDAM on her 'around the world ' cruise next year? Probably the same number we had aboard the ROTTERDAM this past april on her trans-atlantic after her SOE upgrades.... zero!!

Let's not forget that the Amsterdam will be pursuing the ten-night Baltic Capitals voyages next summer. That type of itinerary is attracting more and more families.

By implementing the changes only on "certain ships", I think that HAL's flexibility to deploy ships on varying itineraries would be depleted. As we've seen, ships that only used to do one particular route are now jumping around a bit. I think that it would be quite a bit more difficult in itinerary planning to predict an average of how many teens the route will attract and then deploy the correct ship accordingly.

If most all ships have the facilities then an optimal level of flexibility can be achieved.

It has also been said that when the ship carries few to no teens that the area would be allowed for adult groups. Given that the adults are peering in enough the way it is now to admire the area, it's not such a bad idea!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are booked on the Statendam in November for 35 days from San Diego to New Zealand. On the deck plans I noticed hammocks and palm trees on the Sky Deck. It looked delightful to me, until I found out it was for teenagers only.

So I sent an email to HAL asking if this charming area would be available to adults if no teenagers were onboard during our month-long cruise. The answer I received from HAL was that they were "not sure." They do understand that there will probably be a very limited number of teens on this particular November and December sailing across the Pacific Ocean.

I love Holland America, and my family has enjoyed their Club HAL activities previously when we traveled with our own teenagers. I am hoping though that the Oasis will be available for adults to share if there are only a few or, most likely, no teens onboard.

My brother is hoping to use the Sky Deck in the mornings to watch the sunrise, and anyway teens are never awake until lunch time on most days.

Nanette

My husband and I are booked on the Statendam in November for 35 days from San Diego to New Zealand. On the deck plans I noticed hammocks and palm trees on the Sky Deck. It looked delightful to me, until I found out it was for teenagers only.

Nanette

I hope that it will be available. I will be on the Amsterdam next week for the 62 day Pacific cruise and I dont expect to run into to many teen's on that cruise.:eek: I wonder if they will have a big burly guard there to keep us out!!!! :D

I hope that it will be available. I will be on the Amsterdam next week for the 62 day Pacific cruise and I dont expect to run into to many teen's on that cruise.:eek: I wonder if they will have a big burly guard there to keep us out!!!! :D

Please take good care of her. I'll be boarding on January 6th for the 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific run. I'm hoping to be able to lie in one of these hammocks myself since I can't imagine any teenagers being on that cruise. Let's face it, you might not hesitate to pull the kids out of school for a seven-day cruise ... but I can't imagine any parent letting their kids miss a month of school!

Have a wonderful cruise! 30 days is nice ... but 62 is much, much better. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Please, DON'T remind me that I was once an annoying teen.

I still say they make better Skeet and Shark bait than they do passengers. ;)

We would also like to sail to Hawaii in Oct/06 aboard ZAANDAM- if I can get the fare down!

The HAL CC-Group Cruise to Hawaii

"The Voyage of the Spammed"

Aboard the ms Zaandam

Saturday October 7, 2006 - Sunday October 22, 2006

Round Trip out of San Diego, CA

Come get Lei'd in Hawaii!

hibanmove1.gif

For more information:

HAL CC-Group Cruise to Hawaii Page

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=71

Archived