If you do not like your cabin

maybondel

I personally don't worry about the risk of being trapped in my cabin. Since I only travel in balcony cabins (because I enjoy them), I always have the option of escaping out onto the balcony no matter what disaster is going on in the hallways - fire, a band of pirates, a hoard of zombies, a plague of locusts, a swarm of rampaging room stewards, etc. :D;)

As far as pirates are concerned, you'd be better off with an inside. When cruising pirate-infested waters, what is more likely than a ship flying the skull and crossbones sailing alongside and taking potshots at passengers on balconies? :eek:

As far as pirates are concerned, you'd be better off with an inside. When cruising pirate-infested waters, what is more likely than a ship flying the skull and crossbones sailing alongside and taking potshots at passengers on balconies? :eek:

Oh, but what great photos you would have!!!! :D

I'll take my chances on my balcony with potshooting (is that even a word?) pirates! ;)

545483_1.1.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Mark me up as a balcony fan. I always recommend people try one for their first cruise. Then they can try an inside and have the benefit of comparison. Neither type of room is wrong. For some they want to save money. For others they want to splurge on something a bit nicer. It is all personal choice. But I do agree that having an inside cabin would force people to spend as little time there as possible since it is pretty basic as far as accommodations go, where a balcony stateroom has the views, fresh air, and personal deck space to spend time on, so people would be more prone to enjoy themselves there instead of having to find a place on the ship to relax.

Edited by sloopsailor

Always select a cabin underneath cabins above, never under any public spaces. Never in bow. Balcony cabin is usually same size as Inside with an addon for maybe 2 chairs which you may use 5 minutes a day. Thats OK because your balcony pricey sqft. helps to get my Inside pricing down to best travel bargain out there. With a little attention to deck plans you will have an acceptable cabin.

Always select a cabin underneath cabins above, never under any public spaces. Never in bow. Balcony cabin is usually same size as Inside with an addon for maybe 2 chairs which you may use 5 minutes a day.

This depends on the cruise line and the ship. On many ships the balcony cabins are larger than insides since they are considered premium cabins. Many also have better amenities, such as better linens, bathrobes, and on my favorite line, live flowers. Even if they are the same size, the large door/window to the balcony opens up the room and makes it look even larger. After all, how often do you spend time in rooms with no windows at home?

We use our balcony for several hours per day. We have breakfast out there instead of fighting the crowds in the buffet. We sometimes take naps out there during the day. And we enjoy a drink in the evening out there before bed. To assume we only use it for 5 minutes a day shows you have no idea of how useful a balcony actually is. I spent hours out on my balcony during our Panama Canal transit. We were just a couple of decks above all the action, and had a perfect view of how everything worked. Sure, I could have seen almost the same thing on an upper public deck, but not without being crowded on the railing by hundreds of other people. Instead, it was just my wife and I enjoying the fascinating process "up close and personal".

Thats OK because your balcony pricey sqft. helps to get my Inside pricing down to best travel bargain out there. With a little attention to deck plans you will have an acceptable cabin.

In reality, it is the people who chose to book inside staterooms - where there wouldn't be anything at all otherwise - are who subsidizes the cruises for those of us in the higher category cabins. What would be unused and wasted space is converted to inside cabins for people who don't mind paying almost the same price for them, thereby lowering the cost for higher end cabins for the rest of us.

So I Thank You for your kind contribution to my being able to better afford my lovely balcony, where I spend much more than your 5 minute assumption. :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

I think you have to know yourself and what you can handle/tolerate. For me, I could not handle being in a small room with my 6'2 290 lb body builder husband and not have the extra space of a balcony and an opening to the world. I am claustrophobic and don't handle tight spaces very well, especially if there's more than one person in the room. Yes, I'd love to spend less to cruise, but not at the cost of my sanity.

You know yourself best. If you know you will be ok...save the money and get the inside cabin. If you aren't sure, it's probably better to upgrade so you aren't miserable. Of course, you never know until you try.

If the ship/ cabin is the more important to you, book the balcony. If you are itinerary/ travel oriented...book the cabin that will stretch your budget to see more of the world.

Not for me. All if it is important - itinerary AND living quarters. No way will I downgrade my living quarters to save a few bucks. That's not conducive to having an overall good experience. If money was tight, I would rather give something up at home for a few months to save up enough to do it right. No way am I going to take the cheap way out on my rare vacations. At home I have many more opportunities to save the money, all the while not affecting my enjoyment of the vacation. At home is where I will scrimp and save - not on the cruise.

Edited by sloopsailor

If the ship/ cabin is the more important to you, book the balcony. If you are itinerary/ travel oriented...book the cabin that will stretch your budget to see more of the world.

With over a one hundred days on NCL Dawn and 12 trips to Bermuda, I would sleep in a broom closet to get back once again.