Has anyone flown Emirates from the United States to Johannensburg

madepaz

Hello fellow travelers,

I will be flying for the first time with Emirates from JFK to Johannensburg and was wondering what experiences people have had. Our flight leaves at 11 PM and arrives in Dubai where we will have a five hour layover before getting on the next flight to Johannesburg. We are not looking to two back-to-back overnight flights but are excited about the trip. How are the service and seats? Is the airport in Dubai interesting enough to entertain us for four hours?

Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences,

Melissa

Happy Traveling!!!:)

How are the service and seats?
Dubai to Johannesburg on a 777, I suppose? Are you in economy? Personally, I think I'd rather walk. Although EK is now far from being the only airline to operate 10-abreast 777s, I'd do my best to avoid them on any airline.

Dubai to Johannesburg on a 777, I suppose? Are you in economy? Personally, I think I'd rather walk. Although EK is now far from being the only airline to operate 10-abreast 777s, I'd do my best to avoid them on any airline.

Yup - they squeeze them in. Probably too late to change now, but I would have looked for an airline that offered 'Premium Economy'. Hopefully Globaliser will know.

Yup - they squeeze them in. Probably too late to change now, but I would have looked for an airline that offered 'Premium Economy'. Hopefully Globaliser will know.
From New York City to Johannesburg, I think that four obvious candidates would have been Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic (with the caveat that Lufthansa may still be in the process of installing its premium economy cabins) - you could get premium economy on both sectors.

But even without premium economy, I think the OP would have been able to avoid the dreaded 10-abreast 777 on those airlines (although AF might have required some picking and choosing to get a different aircraft type).

I will be flying for the first time with Emirates from JFK to Johannensburg and was wondering what experiences people have had.

Another case of ready, fire, aim in booking airfare? No offense, but given some negative comments, would you have booked Emirates anyway?

Just to add to the OP's misery, I would prefer Heathrow to Dubai for a connection as well.

With the amount of complaining that goes on regarding LHR on this website, I have a feeling you're in the minority. I generally think both airports are "meh", but if you are T5 at LHR, I think it's just as good as Dubai. Neither airport is Singapore or Hong Kong or Seoul, mind you.

With the amount of complaining that goes on regarding LHR on this website, I have a feeling you're in the minority. I generally think both airports are "meh", but if you are T5 at LHR, I think it's just as good as Dubai. Neither airport is Singapore or Hong Kong or Seoul, mind you.

Agreed, although I preferred the 'old' Hong Kong airport for the approach!

Personally I think LHR is not as bad as some would make out. It's certainly better than CDG, and most US airports - Miami and JFK for instance.

Agreed, although I preferred the 'old' Hong Kong airport for the approach!

Personally I think LHR is not as bad as some would make out. It's certainly better than CDG, and most US airports - Miami and JFK for instance.

I never did get a chance to fly in to the old HKG and am supremely jealous of those who did. But the "new" HKG truly is my favorite airport in the world. I have no problem showing up extra early, or even being delayed, at HKG.

If you fly on Emirates Dubai is a great airport. If you do not and go to T1 -- it is the pits.

I would consider Virgin -- their PE was good. However the connect time is long as it generally leaves in the evening.

Emirates seating is the pits. Service and food is much better than most. But 10 across OMG... I sooner fly UA to Dubai..