Cape Cod in Princess bars

skedaddle43

Call me sheltered but I have never head of that drink referred to as a Cape Cod.

Ordering a simple "vodka [specify brand] and cranberry" should get you exactly that.

Order a "Cape Cod" and I would not be surprised to be served a foo-foo drink made from premixed syrup. Especially on a ship bar staff love to get creative with the composition of "recipe" mixed drinks such as the myriad of geographically-named ones. I wouldn't expect the bartenders to be familiar with every limited-area drink nickname from an international passenger base.

Edited by fishywood

It's a pretty common drink everywhere - I first had it standing next to John Denver at the bar in his restaurant in Snowmass, Colorado. The RCCL bartender knew exactly what it was, but said they had no cranberry juice! At least I got a "Sorry"!

Hmm, never knew this was called a Cape Cod either. Good to know since I make it for myself once in a while. Odd that it's a cocktail with a proper name though, cocktails usually have more than two ingredients. I thought it was just something I put together when I didn't have a full bar available hahaha.

Odd that it's a cocktail with a proper name though, cocktails usually have more than two ingredients.

I think it's a common name for vodka+cranberry.

A Screwdriver, and a Cuba Libre have only two ingredients, as well.

(perhaps plus garnish)

Cape Cod is a pretty common name for a vodka and cranberry here in California. The cranberry juice will be like Ocean Spray. Sometimes I will ask for a wedge of lime with mine.

I'm from Southern California, never heard the term or seen it on a menu. Guess I'm not in the PartyBarbie crowd, lol. I'll be using it from now on though.

I think it's a common name for vodka+cranberry.

A Screwdriver, and a Cuba Libre have only two ingredients, as well.

(perhaps plus garnish)

Yes, good old screwdriver (thank you frat parties) and Cuba Libre (thank you Bacardi factory tour), plus the obvious Gin and Tonic. Looked up two drink cocktails online, still many fewer than the highly complex cocktails bars want to charge an arm and a leg for, and I think there's a new one I will be trying, the Greyhound: vodka and grapefruit juice.

I'm from Southern California, never heard the term or seen it on a menu. Guess I'm not in the PartyBarbie crowd, lol. I'll be using it from now on though.

Yes, good old screwdriver (thank you frat parties) and Cuba Libre (thank you Bacardi factory tour), plus the obvious Gin and Tonic. Looked up two drink cocktails online, still many fewer than the highly complex cocktails bars want to charge an arm and a leg for, and I think there's a new one I will be trying, the Greyhound: vodka and grapefruit juice.

I love the greyhound. My wife drinks a Scarlett O'Hara which is Southern Comfort and Cranberry. Another two ingredient drink she likes a lot is simply Amaretto and Brandy. I have no idea if there is a snazzy name for that or not but it is definitely very tasty. For my part I like Pernod & OJ. It's a wonderful "breakfast drink". :D

Cape Cod is a pretty common name for a vodka and cranberry here in California. The cranberry juice will be like Ocean Spray. Sometimes I will ask for a wedge of lime with mine.
I believe that it must have a lime to be a Cape Cod, otherwise it is just vodka and cranberry. It is commonly known by bartenders.

I love the greyhound. My wife drinks a Scarlett O'Hara which is Southern Comfort and Cranberry. Another two ingredient drink she likes a lot is simply Amaretto and Brandy. I have no idea if there is a snazzy name for that or not but it is definitely very tasty. For my part I like Pernod & OJ. It's a wonderful "breakfast drink". :D

Ok, quoting myself is odd but I just found a listing online for Tiger's Tail which seems to be the name for Pernod & OJ. Who knew... I very much doubt a bartender on a Princess ship would know what the heck I was ordering if I used that name though. I think I'll stick with the safer method of simply telling them what I want in the glass.

Background:

This drink was conceived in 1945 by the Ocean Spray cranberry grower's cooperative under the name "Red Devil". The "Cape Codder" name dates from the early 1960s. Cranberries are a major commercial crop in the U.S. states of Massachusetts. Cape cod is a eastern most portion of Massachusetts...hence the name of the cocktail of it's origins. I would think as Cranberry juice becomes more popular around the country so mixing Vodka and fruit juices like Cranberry Juice would become popular. Seabreeze is Cranberry and grapefruit juice as is a Screwdriver with just OJ & Vodka.

Ingredients:

A Cape Cod is made with vodka and cranberry juice, and may be garnished with a lime wedge. Proportions vary, with sources giving a recommended vodka-to-juice ratio of while other sources do not recommend precise proportions.Some sources recommend lime juice instead of a lime wedge garnish. (Wikipedia).

As to the vodka, I saw a story on 20/20 or one of those quasi-news programs, where they took 10 self-proclaimed vodka aficionados and did a blind taste test. Of the 10, 9 identified the Smirnoff as their favorite premium vodka and said it was unmistakeably the best tasting.

As to the vodka, I saw a story on 20/20 or one of those quasi-news programs, where they took 10 self-proclaimed vodka aficionados and did a blind taste test. Of the 10, 9 identified the Smirnoff as their favorite premium vodka and said it was unmistakeably the best tasting.

I agree! My favorite is Skye vodka and I also like Smirnoff.

Hmm, never knew this was called a Cape Cod either. Good to know since I make it for myself once in a while. Odd that it's a cocktail with a proper name though, cocktails usually have more than two ingredients. I thought it was just something I put together when I didn't have a full bar available hahaha.

When a mixed drink contains only a distilled spirit and a mixer, such as soda or fruit juice, it is a highball; many of the International Bartenders Association Official Cocktails are highballs. When a cocktail contains only a distilled spirit and a liqueur, it is a duo and when it adds a mixer, it is a trio. Additional ingredients may be sugar, honey, milk, cream, and various herbs.