How much is there time for at Mendenhall?

CruisingSince2012

Despite reading many complaints that 75 minutes is not nearly enough time for the Mendenhall Glacier on ship tours, I will do just that in Juneau. Unfortunately there is no other way to also see both the salmon hatchery and Glacier Gardens because of the late hours in port. So what I want to know is how much we have time to do during the short Mendenhall stop?

This is what we want to do:

Photo Point Trail

Steep Creek Trail

Visitor Center exhibits, movie, and gift shop

Obviously there is not time for all of that so something must be deleted. We are huge natural history buffs and don't want to feel rushed at the visitor center but also are looking forward to hiking there.

Despite reading many complaints that 75 minutes is not nearly enough time for the Mendenhall Glacier on ship tours, I will do just that in Juneau. Unfortunately there is no other way to also see both the salmon hatchery and Glacier Gardens because of the late hours in port. So what I want to know is how much we have time to do during the short Mendenhall stop?

Photo Point Trail

Steep Creek Trail

Obviously there is not time for all of that so something must be deleted. We are huge natural history buffs and don't want to feel rushed at the visitor center but also are looking forward to hiking there.

I took that excursion that visits the salmon hatchery, the Glacier Gardens, and Mendenhall Glacier last time I was in Juneau, and really regretted the short time we had at the Glacier. The salmon hatchery was depressing, and the Glacier Gardens, while beautiful, are contrived. At Mendenhall Glacier, we basically had time to take the trail out there, snap a pic, then practically run back to catch our tour bus. Next time, I will take the tour that only goes to the Glacier so that I can do more there. I would love to see the visitor center. Another alternative is to take a taxi or non-cruiseship tour to the Glacier. Maybe you can carve out some more time by doing that.

There is a shuttle that goes back and forth between town and the glacier - depending on how late your ship is in port, you could always go back out and spend more time exploring - it's not a long drive.

If Mendenhall is the last stop on your tour and you have time you could just stay there and catch a shuttle back to the ship. I think you can get a one-way ticket for $10. You might also want to reconsider the tour and just take the $20 bus to Mendenhall and spend more time there. There is a fee for the visitor center unless you are on a tour or have a National Park Service pass of some kind. We have lifetime senior passes that we got in Ketchikan on our first AK cruise. There are several places where you can use them in AK. You only need one pass per family.

We leave tomorrow for Seattle and our cruise on Monday.

Agree with above comments... Basically if it's not the last stop... you need to pace yourself and not dawdle....

75min? Some tours only allow for 45 minutes...

For me.... Photo Point and Nugget falls trails were the priority. So I did them first. That left me just 5 minutes in the visitor centre. The worst part was being trapped by a bear at Photo Point for 10 minutes. The rangers were there to keep us a safe distance away.

IMG_2850-e1433926284764.jpg

WelcomeSign.JPG

We did a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv, and our last stop was at the glacier. We spent a couple of hours there - and are glad we did. We just took the public shuttle back and that worked perfectly. I was worried we'd have to wait in an enormous line and it would be tight getting back to the ship, but the park people know what time the ships leave better than we do, and make accommodations.

I loved the hike - and got better pictures than I had anywhere else on the trip. Some bears were teaching their cubs how to fish for salmon - it was incredible. Spend as much time there as you can - you really don't need to spend the time in town.:D

Thank you for the replies on this thread. We decided we were just going to do the $20.00 shuttle and spend time there. You have confirmed we made the right decision. Our ship arrives at 6 a.m. so we hope to be on the first bus at 9:00. Does anyone know if they start earlier if a ship is in port?? We hope to get back to town and have a nice day to do the tram and maybe a little shopping.

Thank you!

Just an FYI, you don't have to book the shuttle with the ship. All you have to do is get off and there are tour booths on the docks where you can get any tour you want at considerably lower prices. My suggestion is to go to the glacier, then when you come back decide what else you want to do based on your time and interests - the booths are open all day. The Twisted Fish is a great place for lunch and it's right by the Mt Roberts Tram.

The price for the shuttle is $21.00 per person, return (5% tax is added). Also, the buses later in the afternoon can get crowded (think standing room only with many people left behind to wait for the next one). We came back on a 3:30 pm bus and it was packed, so my advice is to line up fairly early for the trips back on the hour and half-hour. Just a heads up. :)

I took that excursion that visits the salmon hatchery, the Glacier Gardens, and Mendenhall Glacier last time I was in Juneau, and really regretted the short time we had at the Glacier. The salmon hatchery was depressing, and the Glacier Gardens, while beautiful, are contrived. At Mendenhall Glacier, we basically had time to take the trail out there, snap a pic, then practically run back to catch our tour bus. Next time, I will take the tour that only goes to the Glacier so that I can do more there. I would love to see the visitor center. Another alternative is to take a taxi or non-cruiseship tour to the Glacier. Maybe you can carve out some more time by doing that.

What TRAIL? You state you did not have time for the Visitor Center, so I would assume you did NOT do the trail, the OP has listed?

Photo Point Trail

Steep Creek Trail

I have responded to other posts, so this is going to be for general information.

1- this list of activities, could easily be done- with a rental car which would also make the best use of time. Could include everything on the list- with the afternoon arrival, which I believe the OP has.

You might want to skip the hatchery, unless you hit a major run and the ladder is full- it's a 10 minute stop. With a tour, it's going to waste much more time- that perhaps could be used better elsewhere.

Glacier Gardens is very enjoyable if anyone has the interest.

My suggestion- IF you don't want to rent a car and an alternative to a tour would be. Use a cab- ask them to stop at the hatchery for a look- yep the meter will be running, then continue to Glacier Gardens. Determine how long you want to stay at the garden- the tram runs a certain timeframe- plus strolling time perhaps? Call for a cab pick up 30 minutes prior to needing it. Go to Mendenhall. You should still be there with the visitor center open. IF shorter time- then go there first, then do your walk.

NO compromise with any of your list, and a superior schedule.

Thank you for the replies on this thread. We decided we were just going to do the $20.00 shuttle and spend time there. You have confirmed we made the right decision. Our ship arrives at 6 a.m. so we hope to be on the first bus at 9:00. Does anyone know if they start earlier if a ship is in port?? We hope to get back to town and have a nice day to do the tram and maybe a little shopping.

Thank you!

Call them directly and ask, but I have not seen them starting earlier.

What TRAIL? You state you did not have time for the Visitor Center, so I would assume you did NOT do the trail, the OP has listed?

We selected the Nugget Falls Trail, as we wanted to get closer to the beautiful Glacier. By the time we got off the tour bus, and because they wanted us back early, our "75 minutes" ended up being at most 60.

Sunlover5, you should consider the Nugget Falls Trail for better viewing as opposed to the Photo Point Trail that you are considering. Either way, I think you made the right decision to take the shuttle out there. That way, you won't have to rush the special experience of Mendenhall Glacier. I will do that next time I go; lesson learned from our previous experience :)

I couldn't imagine being on a strict time schedule there. Everyone has their own time frame and catching your own way back makes the most sense. Looking forward to our first visit to Alaska. I know there will be a second that includes Tracy Arm.

I couldn't imagine being on a strict time schedule there. Everyone has their own time frame and catching your own way back makes the most sense. Looking forward to our first visit to Alaska. I know there will be a second that includes Tracy Arm.

This will be our 3rd attempt at Tracy Arm. I hope we get to Sawyer Glacier this time. There was too much ice before.

You can't really appreciate the size of Nugget Falls unless you get closer to it. People look like ants in front of the falls.

We couldn't get nearly that close since it would have involved swimming :D This is what it looked like for us:

SAM_1251.md.jpg

We had about 2 hours in the park, and it wasn't enough...I wish we had more time for the visitor center.

Edited by Illyria

This is our first trip to Alaska (September 5 Star Princess). We're going to Tracy Arm Fjord (plan to book it this week), but regret we won't get to see the Mendenhall Glacier.

There's only so much time on every trip at every stop--there's always something on the "next time" list!

We selected the Nugget Falls Trail, as we wanted to get closer to the beautiful Glacier. By the time we got off the tour bus, and because they wanted us back early, our "75 minutes" ended up being at most 60.

Sunlover5, you should consider the Nugget Falls Trail for better viewing as opposed to the Photo Point Trail that you are considering. Either way, I think you made the right decision to take the shuttle out there. That way, you won't have to rush the special experience of Mendenhall Glacier. I will do that next time I go; lesson learned from our previous experience :)

The OP is not interested in Nugget Falls trail, they have made that very clear in other posts. I realize you are responding to someone else.

I questioned your reference, since it is a big difference with selected trails, and some of the responses, being general, aren't giving accurate information for these particular trails :) It helps to be specific, since there are several interested posters also looking.

The OP also states they are doing the ship "tour".

Edited by Budget Queen

We couldn't get nearly that close since it would have involved swimming :D This is what it looked like for us:

SAM_1251.md.jpg

We had about 2 hours in the park, and it wasn't enough...I wish we had more time for the visitor center.

WOW! The water wasn't nearly that high when we were there in 2011. You could walk right up to the waterfall and climb up the side.

There is a shuttle that goes back and forth between town and the glacier - depending on how late your ship is in port, you could always go back out and spend more time exploring - it's not a long drive.

My plan was to take the Mendenhall shuttle until Mom balked at the idea of riding cabs to and from the hatchery. Convincing her it is better to take taxis than buses anywhere is impossible. That is the only reason she booked the ship tour - to avoid any method of transportation that costs more than a bus.

If Mendenhall is the last stop on your tour and you have time you could just stay there and catch a shuttle back to the ship. I think you can get a one-way ticket for $10. You might also want to reconsider the tour and just take the $20 bus to Mendenhall and spend more time there.

We definitely would plan on doing that if it was possible. Unfortunately, buses stop running at 6:00 and the ship tour would get us back just in time for supper, so it can't be done. We really wish the tour's start time was 1:30 so we could do that.

So as you can see here, the whole reason I started this thread is I can't do what I want to do because of my travel partner and hours in port.

So as you can see here, the whole reason I started this thread is I can't do what I want to do because of my travel partner and hours in port.

So split up and do your own thing? There's no law that says you have to stay together in port.