Best place to sit on Epic

nanaj1

Where is the best quiet place outside, to sit. Want to get away from the music etc. Does Epic have those lovely lounging chairs. Loved the ones with the canopy. Also, does it get really crowded??

The immediate pool area is always crowded. There is a quiet zone with sun beds on the 16th floor. You can access it by the stairs next to the garden cafe.

It is quite hard to find but persevere! The walking track down by the lifeboats is also quiet but has no seating.

There's a quiet area on deck 18 which we used lot on our recent cruise.

Exit the garden cafe, and whilst facing the pool area there are two lifts - the one on the right is for Haven guests, whilst the one on the left takes you to the public quiet zone on deck 18. We found there were always plenty empty sun beds here, and if you keep walking towards the front of the ship (near the Posh sundeck), you are away from the noise generated by the pool area.

There's showers to cool you down rather than having to go down to the pool, and although there's no food/drinks, you can bring up your own or order from the waiter who comes by regularly.

Exit the garden cafe, and whilst facing the pool area there are two lifts - the one on the right is for Haven guests, whilst the one on the left takes you to the public quiet zone on deck 18. We found there were always plenty empty sun beds here, and if you keep walking towards the front of the ship (near the Posh sundeck), you are away from the noise generated by the pool area.

There's showers to cool you down rather than having to go down to the pool, and although there's no food/drinks, you can bring up your own or order from the waiter who comes by regularly.

Plus it has the daybeds, the round beds with a canopy (there might be one or two intact..). Great place but indeed a bit of a walk, great advantage is getting quick snacks from the buffet.

Some others:

Spice H2O, around the corner of the small buffet. Or next to the basketball field, one deck up from Spice. Not as quiet as the foredeck but there are a few good corners for soaking up the sun, having Spice (bar, lunch buffet, afternoon a la carte appetizers which take 30min) and near the aft stairway are convenient!

And for the really you-can't-find-me spots, search for the secret stairways...

Plus it has the daybeds, the round beds with a canopy (there might be one or two intact..). Great place but indeed a bit of a walk, great advantage is getting quick snacks from the buffet.

I'm heading on the Epic 4 weeks from today, and I was considering purchasing a Posh pass (if still available when I boarded), but I think you've convinced me that this might be my spot! I value the privacy over the food/beverage options, and I won't be using a daytime bar at all. I take a long morning walk each day as part of my normal routine, so a long walk to the sundeck sounds perfect--much better than using the track by the lifeboats. Thank you both!

I'm heading on the Epic 4 weeks from today, and I was considering purchasing a Posh pass (if still available when I boarded), but I think you've convinced me that this might be my spot! I value the privacy over the food/beverage options, and I won't be using a daytime bar at all. I take a long morning walk each day as part of my normal routine, so a long walk to the sundeck sounds perfect--much better than using the track by the lifeboats. Thank you both!

My pleasure.

You will love it, just go prepared (towel, drink and snacks). :D

Go up the stairs and keep walking past the blue loungers, go past the open door (it's allowed!) and tada:

epicfwddeck18fport.jpg

My pleasure.

You will love it, just go prepared (towel, drink and snacks). :D

Ahhh, that pic has me wanting to leave today instead of 4 weeks from today! I promise to arrive prepared to spend a day loafing in the sun. :p

Posh or the aft balcony in the spa.

I'm still considering doing a spa pass, and the aft balcony was a drawing point to some extent, but with only six loungers, I told myself to stop considering it a plus since I'd probably never actually get one. I know all cruises are different, and the number of port days, cruise location, etc. play into it (based on my research anyway), but in your experience, what are the chances of getting one? Or is a spa aft balcony lounger the unicorn of the sailing? :p

Edited by piper45maru

Ahhh, that pic has me wanting to leave today instead of 4 weeks from today! I promise to arrive prepared to spend a day loafing in the sun. :p

I'm still considering doing a spa pass, and the aft balcony was a drawing point to some extent, but with only six loungers, I told myself to stop considering it a plus since I'd probably never actually get one. I know all cruises are different, and the number of port days, cruise location, etc. play into it (based on my research anyway), but in your experience, what are the chances of getting one? Or is a spa aft balcony lounger the unicorn of the sailing? :p

I am an admitted spa aft balcony lounge chair hog!

I got one every day I was up there and I sat on that thing and read and napped for at least 4 hours every day. If at first you don't get one, get comfy on one of the inside ones and keep watching, they do open up.

I am an admitted spa aft balcony lounge chair hog!

I got one every day I was up there and I sat on that thing and read and napped for at least 4 hours every day. If at first you don't get one, get comfy on one of the inside ones and keep watching, they do open up.

Oooh, thanks for the tip and the hope! Although, my wallet is cursing you right now! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I can't get much sun, so I'm wondering if there are comfy quiet spots under cover? Thanks!

Spice H2O near the buffet, under the umbrellas

Deck 15 large chess loungers (starboard aft) and opposite (port) softpadded chairs near the videogames arcade.

Garden café outdoor, NOT quiet!

The secret stairs, no seating or a lone chair left by crew.

Life boat deck has lots of shade, noisy and no seating, plus no view.

Where is the best quiet place outside, to sit. Want to get away from the music etc. Does Epic have those lovely lounging chairs. Loved the ones with the canopy. Also, does it get really crowded??

if you want to be out of the sun, but outside, there's a spot before Spice H20, in the corridor, with comfy chairs on both sides of the walking are and it's breezy and cool there. Great place to read a book, a few people walk by, but it's really quiet.

Posh is a favourite of mine, though they've lost all of their shade, so hopefully they get new umbrellas soon. I hear the misters are working finally, so that's great for you to cool down a bit.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

So, the sun deck all the way forward on Deck 18 really was the best place on the ship, as far as I'm concerned! It was wonderful! I was on a really port-intensive itinerary, so I didn't make it up there as often as I wanted, but the three times I did make it, it was heaven.

I was the only one up there on the Barcelona embarkation day (I got on in Rome, so it was a regular day for me) for over an hour. The whole deck to myself for an hour! I did a quick morning tour of Barcelona and was on the deck by 2:00 pm after spending an hour down by the pool (using the waterslides with no lines!). Most people boarding in Barcelona hung out on the pool deck, so when it started to fill up at 2, I went to deck 18, and no one found it until a woman arrived at around 3. I stayed until 4, and only a few people wandered through the whole time I was there.

I was back on the ship by 3 pm on the Naples day, went straight to the deck, and it was about half full. The picture below was my view as I sunbathed (Mt. Vesuvius). Loved every second I spent on that deck!

vesuviusdeck18.jpg

Nice to see your reporting back and had a good time! :)

I did have a lovely time, and the whole time I was on the deck, I kept mentally thanking you and planning on reporting back in this thread with my gratefulness. When I took that pic of Mt. Vesuvius, I knew it was icing on the cake, and I had to use it!

Without your posts, I don't think I ever would have had that view--or the revelation of lying on such a comfy day bed (which actually eclipsed the expensive day bed I booked at a swanky pool in Vegas once upon a time that didn't live up to the hype) soaking up the Mediterranean air.

So, thank you! :)

We will be on the Epic commencing 25 October 2015, do you think it will be warm enough to seek out Deck 18 or would you recommend a spa pass?

It's a completely open deck with no cover, so I'd look up the average temperature for that time of year and for the locations your cruise will be going to and decide what you're comfortable with. The three times I was up there, it is was between 90 and 100 degrees and docked in port, so I can't speak to cooler temps or what the wind is like when the ship is moving.