Size of seats

Having just done two more Royal Caribbean cruises, on different ships - 1 older, 1 newer it has come to my notice that a lot of people seem to be having trouble with the chairs on the ships. In this age when some people are getting rather larger than perhaps they should, they seem to be having problems getting their frames into the chairs, and out again. On several occasions I noticed people having quite a lot of trouble.

Perhaps its time that arms should be taken off the chairs to make it easier for the larger person. By the end of a cruise they must have very bruised hips.

Not everyone is over weight because they eat too much.

I disagree, because sometimes I do like arms on my chairs. However, if I had difficulty fitting within the arms of a chair on a ship, I would request an armless chair. There are many types of chairs on a ship and it seems reasonable that the staff would accommodate a request for an armless chair (for reasons which may not be limited to the girth of the individual, but also include mobility issues).

I totally agree that there should be more armless dining room chairs. I guess I am one of the sedentary overeaters but that doesn't mean that I should be uncomfortable while having a relaxing dinner each evening.

On the first evening of each cruise (since I am a tradition diner) I request an armless chair from the maitre'd or waiter and they comply pleasantly. It remains in place throughout the cruise. However, I have noticed that these chairs are few and far between and agree with the original poster.

I hope that RCCL is reading this and gives it some consideration.

I would think arms would HELP you to get up...especially for older folks. No one should get so big that they can't fit in a standard chair. The seats on cruiseships aren't small, by any means. There are very few medical reasons to be that large.

Having just done two more Royal Caribbean cruises, on different ships - 1 older, 1 newer it has come to my notice that a lot of people seem to be having trouble with the chairs on the ships. In this age when some people are getting rather larger than perhaps they should, they seem to be having problems getting their frames into the chairs, and out again. On several occasions I noticed people having quite a lot of trouble.

Perhaps its time that arms should be taken off the chairs to make it easier for the larger person. By the end of a cruise they must have very bruised hips.

Not everyone is over weight because they eat too much.

and for people like me, removing the arms would mean I could not stand up without having someone yank me up.

I would think arms would HELP you to get up...especially for older folks. No one should get so big that they can't fit in a standard chair. The seats on cruiseships aren't small, by any means. There are very few medical reasons to be that large.

I'm sorry you feel that you should judge others by the width of their laps. I am happy that you have no need for a wider seat but to decide that other individual needs are inconsequential or due to sloth and/or epic consumption is very inconsiderate and not worthy of these boards. Bottom line - people are various sizes and shapes and when an alternative accomodation is available it is not unreasonable to request one.

and for people like me, removing the arms would mean I could not stand up without having someone yank me up.

I certainly think there should be both types of chairs and I am not requesting to eliminate armchairs. Everyone has needs and whenever reasonably available, should be accomodated.