Overwhelmed by choices!

blufroggirl79

We did the White Pass in Skagway and loved it - we have 2 teens (13 & 15) and they did as well - we are from South Florida, so the scenery is SO different than what we have, so was really incredible for us. In Juneau, we did a DIY and took the "blue bus" out to Mendenhall Glacier and did some really nice nature walking down to Nugget Falls. We also did the Mt. Roberts Tram once we returned to town and walked around town.

I tend to agree with BQ on the idea that you should do what interests you the most. In fact to the point where if your crew wants to split up - do it.

On our last AK cruise I did the Bennett Scenic Journey through Chilkoot - I am both a train and history buff and loved every minute of it - the rest of my family could care less and did a quick walk around town and the RT summit train.

Here is a site that might help you plan your port visits http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

Happy planning and cruising - AK is wonderful

I too am over whelmed. I started my research in 2014 for our cruise in 2017. Both of us have a bucket list and I'm trying to make sure we both get our wish. I've been reading through the Alaska reviews to try to match up tours and such to our bucket list. I want to do it all!! I want to land on a glacier, spend a day in Denali, see the whales, the eagles, ride the train and see Alaska! Good thing I have a few more years to narrow down our choices.

Instead of a 7 day return....

• you can do two one way trips to double your port times.
  • HAL offers the Yukon Denali option
  • there's also the ferry that departs from Washington that stops at each Alaskan town. You can stay as long as you want at each port for excursions and then continue to the next port to do it all over again.
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/routes.shtml

We have been to Alaska and are going again next week. Here is my list of must see things. We too have to stay on a reasonable budget. In Skagway, the White Pass train excursion in a must do. It probably is one of if not THE most popular thing to do there. It is not that expensive. I do not have my list here with me but just google it. Also we are doing a helicopter tour in Juneau. Both of thee we found online much cheaper than through the cruiseline. Also we are both in wheelchairs so we had to dig deep to find companies that offer wheelchair accessibility. The juneau helicopter tour has a wheelchair lift so we are super excited about that. It was about half the price of the ones through the cruiseline. If you want more info let me know and I can get you the names later today.

Trina notice you took tours and you are wheelchair bound. while I am not using a wheelchair I do need the assistance of a mobility scooter. how difficult will touring be using this method. thank you!

This is not accurate- you are NOT on the "same route". The Klondike Highway and the White pass only have a couple miles of common views. The views from the White Pass are superior.

All these options can be great, for those, who have the interest. That is what is most important.

Budget Queen you seem very knowledgeable about Alaska. can you give us, in your opinion, the "perfect" Alaska cruise/land & sea. tx.

Budget Queen you seem very knowledgeable about Alaska. can you give us, in your opinion, the "perfect" Alaska cruise/land & sea. tx.

The "best" feature- is time, go for as long as you can afford, and if looking for a cruise/mainland combo- it means in my opinion, at least 2 weeks. :)

"Perfect"- is an individual assessment. But- I'll throw out- to have some individuality. The cruise line ship tours- see the least with being group point to point. There is so much more.

I understand you are traveling with a scooter. Some challenges- but, I believe Alaska RR is accessible and so are the Denali Park shuttle buses. There are definitely a lot of challenges and more planning needed.