NCL Star vs NCL Jade

Luckyroot

So we've just found out our Star sailing for Oct. 2016 has been cancelled. We were booked in a 2 bedroom suite (4 adults) with ALL the perks and at a great price too.

Does the Jade have an equivalent cabin? We have the option to switch to an equivalent cabin - but I'm not seeing any 2BR options. Actually not seeing much of anything above penthouse cabins and 2 suites, is that true? If we're not going to get as good as or better (MOST of the people on our roll call were in suite accommodations) we'll probably be better off cancelling.

Any info from someone who's been on the Jade? do they have lots of suites or not?

So we've just found out our Star sailing for Oct. 2016 has been cancelled. We were booked in a 2 bedroom suite (4 adults) with ALL the perks and at a great price too.

Does the Jade have an equivalent cabin? We have the option to switch to an equivalent cabin - but I'm not seeing any 2BR options. Actually not seeing much of anything above penthouse cabins and 2 suites, is that true? If we're not going to get as good as or better (MOST of the people on our roll call were in suite accommodations) we'll probably be better off cancelling.

Any info from someone who's been on the Jade? do they have lots of suites or not?

Luckyroot,

We were on the same cruise with you and booked a SJ suite. There are several 2 bedroom cabins on the Jade. I stayed in them on the Gem and Jewel which is almost identical to the Jade. I also sailed on the Jade several years ago to the Mediterranean and it's a great ship.

The Jade is from the jewel class ( Gem, pearl, jewel and Jade) built in 2006 slightly bigger than the Star built in 2001 , I find the jewel class much better than the dawn class. On deck 12 there is the great outdoor aft behind the garden café ( our favorite spot for sail off) and you have spinnaker on deck 13 forward indoor viewing site On the star spinnaker was move to deck 7 in 2011 drydock to add family suite on deck 13 so indoor viewing for those hot sea days, the pool area is much better on the jewel class . don't forget you the haven on jewel class . On the Jade there is 10 2-bedrooms family suite (sc) on deck 11 and there is 8 Haven 2-bedroom family villa on deck 14

Edited by Orleanscruiser

It's just the same as the Haven 2 bedrooms- just no Haven courtyard access- and about $200 cheaper per person. All other suite benefits apply. Here's the room layout... ImageUploadedByForums1438624990.045536.jpg.7e6f30c2a4deab3cf2fdd2a60e6c6870.jpg

Edited by Bluefox

We are booked in a 2 bedroom on Jade this year. 11506. It's a non Haven suite.

Yes, in addition to the 2-bedroom Haven suites on deck 14, they have 10 2-bedroom non-Haven suites on deck 11 (the dark green ones on this deck plan):

Jade_11_Deck_460_R_06062013.png

We were bumped from the 12/11/16 sailing on Star. We had a SC suite which is 2 bedroom. Jade has the same suites, though there are 2 less than on Star.

I have cruised on both ships in question, and I would choose the Jade over the Star anytime, unless the Star offered a more "special" itinerary than the Jade.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Both Pearl and Jade are among the best ships in the NCL fleet. They are new enough to have modern features but designed before cabins got "crunched" and bathrooms became a bit bizarre. Also the ability to eat meals on the fantail deck is one of our favorite features of the Jewel class ships.

Mini-suites on these are among the best cabins anywhere considering value for $'s spent. It has been a while since we were on the Jade in the Med but 2 years ago the condition, crew and food were outstanding.

Since we live 40 minutes from the dock in downtown Tampa we will definitely start sailing on her when she gets here!

As most of the other's already said both Star and Jade have similar 2BR Family Suites.

Just completed a 14 day cruise on Star in one of those - 11550 and it was great.

The year before on the Jade in same type cabin was also nice.

Found the Star's a bit more subdued as the Jade (originally from Hawaii) is VERY bright in colours. Same cabin same thing.

The difference between the Jade Haven and normal 2BRFS is mostly price and not much more - unless you enjoy impressing people with your 14th floor lift access by key card - suite perks identical.

Jade garden café open deck at the back is brilliant and I find theatre seating for suite passengers is much nicer in Jade than in Star.

I had the family suite for 4 (without balcony/just large windows) can't remember the category letters, booked on the Star for January 2017.

Called today just out of curiosity to see what they will be able to offer me on the Jade since it doesn't have that category/type of suite.

They said they won't be able to tell me until Aug 17.

I hope they offer me something and don't increase my price. I have the most fabulous price, booked in March of 2015. Free passenger 3/4, free booze, specialty dining/ grats and OBC. I swear I'm paying for all of us what they seem to be asking per passenger now.

I guess time will tell. I'm super flexible in the rescheduling, so I hope that works in my favor

It seems to me that the STAR itineraries are getting priority over the Jade ones. Star folk have been informed through official channels and getting re-accommodated while us Jade cruisers must wait until October?????

I'd love to be wrong, but my TA called NCL on my behalf and they essentially said "we'll be in touch"