Ever been denied boarding????

perfectlynormal

Very interesting . . . I never thought about using my maiden name as my middle name. I've always used the middle name on my birth certificate on everything . . . including my passport. Haven't used my maiden name since I was married in 1973 . . . or since I was divorced in 1995 . . . :p

I used my regular middle name until I got my first college degree when I was in my 30's. At that time, I started using my maiden name as my middle name. I did it as a gift to my parents, especially my father. I was the first person in the family, in the entire family to graduate from college. When I say entire family, I am going back generations. I wanted my father to see his last name on a college diploma.

Linda :)

I live in Massachusetts and have never known anyone personally who kept their maiden name as their middle name. I do know people who have a hyphened last name like Theresa Heinz-Kerry. Since he lost the election, she has dropped the last half and gone back to Theresa Heinz. Now that is very strange to me. I would have thought she would dropped the Heinz and not the Kerry. It reminds me of Hillary Clinton adding the Rodham after Bill became President. Haven't heard her using the Rodham now that they call her Senator Clinton. When I graduated college I added my maiden name to my diploma because my deceased father was so excited when I began my freshman year. I knew my degree was as important to him as it was to me.

When I was married, I was glad to drop my long Polish maiden name and to have my DH's four letters when I filled out applications. Later I loved to a street with a long Indian name that nobody could spell. I do like the way that European family's name their children with the mother's maiden name as the child's middle name. I hope my daughter will consider that when she becomes a Mom because it gives recognition to the maternal grandparents as well as the paternal grandparents. I know my husband and son are both proud to carry their ancestor's family names.

Did I lose this thread somewhere?

I thought it was about denied boarding experiences...

LL

My fault. I was telling how hubby gave the TA my middle name instead of my maiden name and so our cruise docs list my middle name. My passport has my maiden name as my middle name and I was afraid there would be some confusion. We contacted RCCL and they say it will be okay but I am bring my birth certificate also just in case.

Usually differant names or name changes which people fear will cause problems is from women changing their name when they marry. I was not trying to hyjack the thread.

So lets just say this-if you have a fear of this because of a name change-contact the cruiseline BEFORE you get to the dock and let them know. I guess they are the ones that can best advice us on this.

In florida when a woman marries , if she had drivers lic. in her madden name it will be changed to first name , madden name , and then married name.

They drop the middle name. I don't know why or if it is that way if you were married first and the get your first lic.

I didn't change my name when we got married. Once when we were disembarking, the customs agent looked at our passports and said, "do you have different last names?" My little thought cloud said, "duh, nimrod, you just looked at our passports and see different last names, don't you?" Fortunately, my brain engaged before my mouth did (a rare occurrence), and I just said yes.:rolleyes:

I always thought the custom was to drop your middle name & use your maiden name in the middle (raised in New England). I just didn't see any reason to do it.

As I recall, Hillary was "Hillary Rodham" until Bill lost a re-election bid for governor. She then started using Clinton, presumably to woo some segment of the voters.

I don't think it is a custom specific to a region, or even a generation. Just a personal choice. My mom and MIL are both the same age. Mom kept birth middle name, MIL uses maiden name as middle name. When I married 20 years ago, I kept maiden name as middle name. I liked it. PLUS, my maiden name spoke to my 100% Irish heritage that my married name (Slavik) didn't. DH is actually mostly Irish as well, but not that name! I chuckled at the post saying their older relatives call them by first and middle name - grandmother and all my cousins always called me Anne Margaret...NO one else did! Both my children's middle names are family surnames (vs traditional first names), wonder what DD will do?

once I was single

Karen MN LN (middle name, last name)

Then I got married

Karen MN LN MRN (married name)

then I got divorced 9 years later.... but I liked his family better than mine, so I kept that name, and so my passport says

Karen MN LN MRN

and then, lo and behold, I got married again, and, I moved, so it was time for a new license...

I was informed that it wasn't all gonna fit on my drivers license... something had to go.

So my drivers license says:

Karen LN MRN NMRN (new married name)

Yes, I could have dropped my previous married name, but it matches all my bank accounts and credit cards and such, as well as my passport. I have traveled like this once already, RCCL didn't have a problem. I don't know who I am!! But, who cares, I am getting on the Jewel Nov 27th, lol.

I usually carry a marriage certificate and a birth certificate just in case.

Best regards,

Karen

Must admit that both topics are interesting! I have never been denied boarding though.

Back to the second topic , my husbands brothers all go by their middle names. I've been trying to remember his brothers first names all day because of this thread and finally asked my DH and he sat silently for a bit and could not remember. Only after I started throwing some names around did he remember what they were. He says he has no idea how this came about too.

I have to agree with Dyslexic Pirate's post....I would rather be a maiden than a matron!

I recently got into a big fight with my future husband (our cruise is going to be our honeymoon)--I still don't know what I'm going to do!

When I first got married, I felt so lovey-dovey that I changed my last name to my husband's. (I have my passport & the deed to our home in that name, also.)

But then I started to have regrets about the change (I felt I wasn't "me" anymore). So I asked my husband what HE thought about it, and he said it didn't matter one way or the other.

LOL! So I ended up not changing any other documents & now I'm known by my maiden name. My DH though insists that problems will come because I've used two names.

I live in Massachusetts and have never known anyone personally who kept their maiden name as their middle name. I do know people who have a hyphened last name like Theresa Heinz-Kerry. Since he lost the election, she has dropped the last half and gone back to Theresa Heinz. Now that is very strange to me. I would have thought she would dropped the Heinz and not the Kerry. It reminds me of Hillary Clinton adding the Rodham after Bill became President. Haven't heard her using the Rodham now that they call her Senator Clinton. When I graduated college I added my maiden name to my diploma because my deceased father was so excited when I began my freshman year. I knew my degree was as important to him as it was to me.

When I was married, I was glad to drop my long Polish maiden name and to have my DH's four letters when I filled out applications. Later I loved to a street with a long Indian name that nobody could spell. I do like the way that European family's name their children with the mother's maiden name as the child's middle name. I hope my daughter will consider that when she becomes a Mom because it gives recognition to the maternal grandparents as well as the paternal grandparents. I know my husband and son are both proud to carry their ancestor's family names.

LOL As a Pittsburgher and knowing what I know about John Heinz and knowing what I know about John Kerry...If I were Theresa (and I'm glad I'm not) I would have never added the "Kerry" in the first place. Nothing strange about her dropping it...she has a history of changing her principles to suit the situation. Remember she used to lead the Repulican party here for many fundraisers. And the only factor that Mr. Kerry played regarding her millions is to reduce the amount!

There, I just changed the topic again...

I'm not from the US, so I'm taking this even further off topic :D ...

I go by my middle name because, like in the "John" example above, many of my cousins have the same first name and besides I think it's a rather unattractive and common name.

And in my neck of the woods (Puerto Rico) women would traditionally add the husband's last name to theirs, with "de" (of), which connotes ownership :eek: . Picture Jennifer Lopez de Affleck LOL. I don't know any women under age 50-60 who use their husband's name. Much simpler, no need for new IDs.

In our house, I'm the travel planner and I normally make reservations in my name, so I can't count the number of times my DH has been called "Mr. Amapola" by hotel staffers :D . Oh, and the times we get mail from friends in the US addressed to "Mr. & Mrs. Amapola". He finds it very amusing!!

To the original poster:

Why don't you start a new thread with your question and just let them keep this one about names. Sorry you're not really getting the answers to the question you asked. It was interesting and was about cruising, unlike what this has changed to.

When you get married it asks you - What name will you be using after the marriage...for both the man and the woman. - You could both decide to be John and Jane Doe if you wanted and both drop your names and start off fresh with completely different ones.

I only know one other person that did this whole middle name/birth or maiden name thing and what she did was keep her birth middle name and gave herself the additional middle name of her maiden name. So, No, I don't think that MOST women do what momofmeg did...so I don't think her DH is an idiot! He just answered the question that he was asked! (Your middle name is the name that you use when you "yell at them" i.e. Melissa LYNN...Smith! ) haha

I, personally don't understand the whole thing...I would just be happy to go with my first name only! Forget the rest all together! I don't have any identity issues! And I did take my DH's last name 14 years ago.

As per the original question ---> Haven't seen anyone get denied boarding, but definitely having a passport is a GREAT idea! It's just easier! And soon it'll be required anyway!

To the original poster:

Why don't you start a new thread with your question and just let them keep this one about names. Sorry you're not really getting the answers to the question you asked. It was interesting and was about cruising, unlike what this has changed to.

I suppose "interesting" is in the eyes of the beholder. Start another thread??? How much milage do you want out of "have you ever been denied boarding"

Here is a summation...

1. read your cruise documents

2. follow the directions

3. bring ALL of the required documents (passports etc..) with names & photos that match yours

4. Behave yourself while boarding the ship.

See it doesn't need a gozzillion posts, just a little common sense!

I think we actually did it a service by straying from the topic.

Archived