Ever been denied boarding????

perfectlynormal

Has anyone ever been denied boarding due to incorrect ID/documentation? I have seen lots of questions with varying answers, some actually contradictory. What happens after being denied? Did you catch up with the ship later, cancel, get a refund? It seems that the rules are constantly changing with new, enhanced security measures, and it could lead to problems for passengers. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with this. Thanks.:confused:

I agree with the above poster, get a passport, then you won't have a thing to worry about. If you are denied boarding due to incorrect documentation, if you read the tiny print on your contract, there are no refunds. Best be safe than sorry, get the passport.

I did get one, I was just wondering what would happen in a situation like that, how it would be handled. Sounds like a lot of conflicting info circulating and I imagine problems have come up.

Well my idiot husband put as my middle name my birth middle name instead of my maiden name. On my passport my middle name listed is my maiden name-which is what MOST women do after marriage-use their maiden name instead of their birth middle name.

We called Royal Caribbean after we got the cruise docs and they changed it in their computer-said it was no big deal-but I am taking my birth certificate just in case.

I do not know why hubby did that. This is our 10th cruise and he has never did that before. I guess he had a brain fart or something. He said the TA asked for my middle name so he gave her my middle name. It did not even occur to him he should have given her my maiden name.

Well my idiot husband put as my middle name my birth middle name instead of my maiden name. On my passport my middle name listed is my maiden name-which is what MOST women do after marriage-use their maiden name instead of their birth middle name.

We called Royal Caribbean after we got the cruise docs and they changed it in their computer-said it was no big deal-but I am taking my birth certificate just in case.

I do not know why hubby did that. This is our 10th cruise and he has never did that before. I guess he had a brain fart or something. He said the TA asked for my middle name so he gave her my middle name. It did not even occur to him he should have given her my maiden name.

I've never cruised before, but when asked for my middle name, I've always given my birth middle name. I guess my generation just gets rid of our maiden names.:confused:

I've never cruised before, but when asked for my middle name, I've always given my birth middle name. I guess my generation just gets rid of our maiden names.:confused:

Benjidog, my wife has never used her maiden name since we got got married. In the Midwest very few women keep there maiden names. We have cruised before and she has never had a problem.

P.S. I think we are close on the generation thing. I have beeen married 27 years.

My daughter and sister both use their middle birth names as their middle names. In the case of my sister, it meant dropping a difficult to spell and pronounce maiden name. In the case of my daughter, it meant dropping the name of a father who continously let her down. I use my maiden name as my middle name. Though of course it's as difficult to spell and pronounce as my sister's maiden name, it means being forever done with an ugly and embarrassing birth middle name. (It was worse for my grandmother, poor dear. It was her first name!) In any case, it's always stood me in good stead and eliminated confusion to have both my maiden name and my married name on all my identification and legal documents.

Benjidog, my wife has never used her maiden name since we got got married. In the Midwest very few women keep there maiden names. We have cruised before and she has never had a problem.

P.S. I think we are close on the generation thing. I have beeen married 27 years.

Take a ride north on US 41 and you'll be where we lived for 55 years. We came from Northwest Indiana. And we beat you on the time married - 34 years. Maybe we're a little older!!!:cool:

The only place I have heard where they keep their maiden names in Quebec, Canada.

I have been married 35 yrs and never use my maiden name....I don't have a middle name so I guess I could use my maiden name but why:confused:

Some professional women do keep their maiden names because their degree is in that name but they usually use DH name in private life.

It is all a matter of choices!;)

I know lots of women who use their maiden names as their middle names and just as many who use their birth middle names. I even know a few women who use their first husband's last name as their middle name. (Probably because their children have that last name or because that's the name they were know by in business.) I think it's just a matter of preference; I don't think there's any particular geographical significance. In most cases I imagine we don't know many other women's middle names. In any case, are you glad we women have the choice? Men are pretty much stuck with what their parents gave them.

Yes, I've seen people denied boarding. It was an older couple who had booked their first cruise via the internet and only had e-tickets. They had absolutely no idea what they needed to get on board the ship and didn't bring their birth certificates. They were denied boarding. When you're denied boarding, you do not get a refund of any kind--that's the cruise line's policy. I've known people who were trying to check in for a cruise that included Brazil and they didn't have the Brazilian visa, and they were denied boarding. You must have what the cruise line demands as far as documentation is concerned or else you just don't get to cruise and you lose all your money.

I married a widower in 1998, was widowed in 2000 and married a widower in 2003. The "Certificate of Marriage Registration" that was issued by New York State after both marriages lists my middle name as the same middle name my birth certificate does. Who knows what problems may be faced down the road - and I have faced some interesting ones in the past few years. I want ALL documents to read the same way so if a paper trail is ever needed it is correct.

My mother, who has been married (to my father) for 59 years, grew up in Chicago, uses her maiden name as her middle name.

I grew up in NY, have been married for 35 years, and do the same thing.

When we got married, we moved to Michigan. At the DMV, I wanted my new drivers' license to read First Name, Middle Initial of My Maiden Name, Married Last Name. They refused to do that, and wouldn't issue the driver's license unless it was First Name, Initial of Birth Middle Name, Married Last Name.

A few years later we moved to Wisconsin, and when I went to get my new driver's license, I told them the middle initial on my Michigan license was a typo, and they changed it.

Passport are the best thing to have, if not birth certificate with name being the same as on the drivers license. For women they look at the first name and the spelling of name and the date of birth and it has to be the same as the drivers license. No exceptions. If not, you do not board. No refund.

My friend had her carry on bag stole at the Tampa Airport. It had cruise tickets,birth cert,id,atm cards, credit cards,

passports all the good stuff. she put it down to crab her luggage and turned around and it was gone. this was at 1:00 am in the morning at the airport. security informed her they had no camera. can you believe this, it was just in April during spring break. they flew in the night before the cruise. guess what she made a police report and called the cruise line RC and they told her to come on and they would take care of her and the kids. this was her 1st cruise on RC.

My friend had her carry on bag stole at the Tampa Airport. It had cruise tickets,birth cert,id,atm cards, credit cards,

passports all the good stuff. she put it down to crab her luggage and turned around and it was gone. this was at 1:00 am in the morning at the airport. security informed her they had no camera. can you believe this, it was just in April during spring break. they flew in the night before the cruise. guess what she made a police report and called the cruise line RC and they told her to come on and they would take care of her and the kids. this was her 1st cruise on RC.

They didn't have to do that. I wanted to get a passport but we just sat on it way too long for this trip. I will not let that slide again (well I will not be able to). The day after we get back the first order of business, after a mountain of laundry, is passports.

Well I am 51 yrs. old and when I married it was "in" for women to keep their maiden names and not even take their husband's names. I did not want to go that far but I did want to keep my maiden name, to me that was very much part of me and my identity. Also I never cared for my middle name and I got the southern thing alot-you know-the double name-I hated that so it was really a relief to drop my middle name-although I still have some elderly aunts who call me by both my first and middle birth name.

My mother also used her maiden name as her middle name. My parents were married in 1944. My mother inlaw though kept her birth middle name and dropped her maiden name, my inlaws married about 10 yrs. after my parents.

My mother was always in the work force, except for a few yrs taken off when she had young children, by the time all of us were in school, Mom was back in the workforce. My motherinlaw was always a stay at home mom.

I am surprised though that today so many women drop their maiden name and keep their middle name. Especially as the divoice rate is 50% and so many women end up taking back their maiden name. Just seems to me it would be less problem and hazzle if you kept your maiden name and dropped your birth middle name.

I'm in California - and I've never met any woman that has dropped her middle name for her maiden name after marriage. I've been married 15 years -- and I said goodbye to my maiden name long ago. Interesting to hear how other areas of the country do things!:)

I also have never heard of this!

OT, I know... but I'm going out on a limb and guess the using or not using of a middle name/maiden name (whatever name) is a personal decision, possibly a family sort of tradition thing, not a regional thing. I've lived up and down the east coast, and have reatives in almost every major city around the country, I find no increase in the usage of middle/maiden names, but maybe that's just whom I happen to know. ?

Now, here in Southern MD, using your middle name as your first name is a "thing". I have asked several men, why? They don't have yucky names, why not use the first name? No one knows why.:p I thought maybe "John" for instance is a popular family name, and then all Johns have a different middle name. So at Thanksgiving when Granny speaks to all the Johns she uses the middle name, so each knows which one she's speaking to? Be interesting to know if this thing goes on elsewhere, as this brand of silly-ness I've never seen before living here. Looking someone up in the phone book is fun here, as you know the last name, but have a 50/50 chance of actually knowing the first name, as few people even share that info with casual friends, they just call themselves by their middle name. Weird.

Funny.. these boads are really crazy.. it seems the "have you been denied" boading thread started by the OP has combined with the "what's your middle name?, is it your maiden name?; and other useless information" thread!!!

(I'm sure I'll be flamed because I stuck this post in here...sigh....)

Why isn't anyone just hyphenating their last names? That's what I've done. My middle name is the same as my mother's and grandmothers. I can't imagine why you would drop any part of your name for someone elses name.

For that matter has anyone's husbands changed their last names to that of their wife's? There isn't a law that says a woman has to take a man's last name he could always take hers. Men get so upset when they are asked this. But why should a woman always have to give up her family name that she's just as equally proud of?

I'm in California - and I've never met any woman that has dropped her middle name for her maiden name after marriage. I've been married 15 years -- and I said goodbye to my maiden name long ago. Interesting to hear how other areas of the country do things!:)

My mother raised in the mid-west used her maiden name as her middle name - I was raised in Calif. and use my birth middle name - maiden name too long anyway. I think it is more of a generational thing - jmo

Miss Lioness: no flaming, you are right - we have definately changed the subject. Sorry

Dawn

Archived