What to do in Miami

PSkinner

You can visit Viscaya museum in the day. You can google it to see if it's your kind of thing. Beautiful grounds to walk around and its on the water front. very close to Bayside.

In the evening you can go to south beach and walk Rodeo drive. Many great restaurants and great people watching.

You can visit Viscaya museum in the day. You can google it to see if it's your kind of thing. Beautiful grounds to walk around and its on the water front. very close to Bayside.

In the evening you can go to south beach and walk Rodeo drive. Many great restaurants and great people watching.

There is no Rodeo Drive on South Beach, but there is Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road.

We will be arriving Thursday late for a Saturday cruise so we have one full day in Miami. What are some of the "MUST DO'S"? We will be staying near Bayside Market. TIA

I would suggest touring Vizcaya and then a late lunch at The Rusty Pelican on Virginia Key. The views from the restaurant of downtown and Biscayne Bay are incredible.

Vizcaya is really cool. It has been in tons of movies and tv shows.

You can take the Metromover to Vizcaya but you'll need a cab for The Rusty Pelican.

Or if you want to spend the day in the sun, The Venetian Pool

Rusty P' .... really?????

a dip at the Venetian I can agree with DEPENDING ON

when is this trip?

what do you want to do? What's your interest?

shop?

Coconut Grove

Lincoln Road

people watch?

South Beach

See animals?

Zoo Miami

(or South Beach depending on what type of animal .... plenty of cougars there)

I just took a look at the hop on/off offering mentioned in another post

If I was spending one day in Miami .... I'd do this!

http://eng.bigbustours.com/miami/home.html

it can take you down cruise ship row via the MacA causeway .... thru South Beach to visit the shops at Lincoln Road ... out to Coral Gables for a dip in Venetian pool .... to Little Havana for a Cuban Sandwich lunch ... you can combine it with a boat ride from Bayside past the "upper class" houses

(warning ... there are multiple hop on/off tours ..... compare b4 you decide!)

We like a little of everything. Love the beach but since we will be on a cruise with 4 ports the beach in Miami is not a big deal. We are looking into the hop on hop off; USAA offers discount on some tours too.

we sail mid October so the weather should still be nice.

I am not a believer in running all over where in the end you don't really see anything.

I wold go over to South Beach as it is fun to walk around that area.

There are museums, restaurants, shopping and it is a fun people place.

I would take a taxi over there. Around 25.00 and have them drop you off at the beginning of South Beach and Ocean Drive.

Keith

Two years ago we did a similar trip where we stayed at the IC two nights pre-cruise and spent our full day over on South Beach. We just grabbed a cab at the hotel and he dropped us off near the top of Ocean Drive and we just walked around. There is plenty to do and see without trying to rush around and hit certain points.

Knowing what I know now we will just stay over there if we have more than one night pre-cruise.

Edited by aurelius180

I am not a believer in running all over where in the end you don't really see anything.

In general I'm in agreement on that, especially when you are driving and can kill a bunch of time looking for parking and just trying to find what you are looking for

OTOH we're recently back from a trip to 'the old country' and in each of the cities we spent a couple of days & we took hop on/off and while there was some variation I'd say in general we saw a BUNCH in each place, much more than if we'd winged it and especially much more in one day.

Trying to enjoy everything at every stop would be a mistake, but on the other hand riding once around then using the bus as transportation to see the things that interested us worked very well and we saved as compared to individual taxi cost AND had narration along the way (way better than the average taxi driver). Picking a few b4 saves the first round 'orientation.'

I'm big on these right now cuz they worked SO well for us in Budapest and Hamburg .....

Edited by Capt_BJ