Alaska Cruise Tour & Cruise on the Radiance of the Seas Review 7/25/15 – 8/7/15

wow Kraig!!!

this is a fantastic review!!!

i'm only about halfway through, but enjoying every description and picture so much!!!

thanks for posting the accident picture! how horrible. I knew that a man had been killed, but now that i see the wreckage i understand how terrible an accident it was!

regarding the MDR, Martin was our waiter the entire cruise - he was indeed fantastic!! as was the assistant (whose name has slipped my mind, but i have it written down somewhere).

by the way, those hopkins sweatshirts the two of you are modelling!

had i seen them on the cruise, i might well have stolen them right off your backs!!! (DH and i are hopkins alumni - i was in the class of 77 :) )

ok, now back to the review. So fun reliving the cruise!!!! thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful review!!!!!

Edited by alaska_planner

Do you remember what the upcharge for Samba Grill was? I realize it might change between your cruise in 2015 and mine in 2017 but it will give me a ballpark.

Thank you for the compliments. I believe it was a $30 surcharge per person. But i have to admit it was well worth it!!! Ali and I only do one specialty restaurant a cruise, we try to cruise on a budget, and this is the one to try if your budget allows for it:)

oh yes, and if you were to REDO only one of the 3 sled dog excursions, which would you do and why?

Ali and I both agree, the Jeff King experience "homestead husky" was the one we liked best. It is available in Denali, and although you don't get to go for a dog sled ride, like the one we did in Skagway, we learned so much more, and Jeff King is an excellent showman. After hanging out with the dogs we went into an auditorium where Jeff told us about his races, very entertaining and funny! Definitely recommend it!

wow Kraig!!!

this is a fantastic review!!!

i'm only about halfway through, but enjoying every description and picture so much!!!

thanks for posting the accident picture! how horrible. I knew that a man had been killed, but now that i see the wreckage i understand how terrible an accident it was!

regarding the MDR, Martin was our waiter the entire cruise - he was indeed fantastic!! as was the assistant (whose name has slipped my mind, but i have it written down somewhere).

by the way, those hopkins sweatshirts the two of you are modelling!

had i seen them on the cruise, i might well have stolen them right off your backs!!! (DH and i are hopkins alumni - i was in the class of 77 :) )

ok, now back to the review. So fun reliving the cruise!!!! thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful review!!!!!

Thanks Beth! It was a pleasure meeting you and your family:)

I am only thru your land portion and so far this is a great review and great pictures. We are doing 7A but northbound in 2017 so plenty of time to read your review over and take notes and tips. Great job I really appreciate the time you took to do this.

I am only thru your land portion and so far this is a great review and great pictures. We are doing 7A but northbound in 2017 so plenty of time to read your review over and take notes and tips. Great job I really appreciate the time you took to do this.

My pleasure! Thank you for the kind words, and have a great time next summer!

Thank you for taking the time for writing the review, it was very enjoyable. I will be going there in May for a 7-day cruise but no land tour but we are spending 4 days after the cruise in Vancouver. This gives me some idea of what to possibly anticipate.

You are very lucky. On our precruise to Alaska, we stayed a few days in Vancouver. I enjoyed the city very much. There is so much to do. I hope to return one day for a land vacation so we can see and enjoy more of its beauty.

Thank you for taking the time for writing the review, it was very enjoyable. I will be going there in May for a 7-day cruise but no land tour but we are spending 4 days after the cruise in Vancouver. This gives me some idea of what to possibly anticipate.

My pleasure, enjoy your cruise!:)

First, let me say THANK YOU for such an amazing review. Doing the Pre-Tour and Alaska cruise combo has been a bucket list item since we started cruising. We JUST booked this week for 2017. Your review is really helping give us an idea of just what to expect (I'm an avid over/pre-planner).

Next I have some questions and I know that your answers are in regards to your experiences so I know they may not necessarily apply to us next year.

In Fairbanks you did the Riverboat tour and had lots of stops to see and explore things. Were these all included as part of it? If not, would you just have had to stay on the boat? If any/some were included, which ones?

We have something called the Kenji Fjords National Park Cruise. Did you hear that term in regards to your Glacier Explorer in Seward?

If you remember, what was your cabin number?

Lastly (for now, :D) you mentioned (and showed) that you tendered in Icy Straight. When I look at RCI website for next year they show docked. Did you see them working on a new dock?

Thanx again,

Erika

Lastly (for now, :D) you mentioned (and showed) that you tendered in

Icy Straight. When I look at RCI website for next year they show docked.

Did you see them working on a new dock?

Thanx again,

Erika

The OP's cruise was last year, so I don't think the new dock was done yet.

From what I understand, it is set to be completed and should be set up

for your cruise next year, and in fact could be done when I get there in August.

Really will be nice not to tender back and forth.

We love walking into Hoonah, and have a favorite restaurant there that serves

super fresh steamed Dungenous crabs right out front. Called "The Office Bar".

Yums! :D

Edited by island lady

for your cruise next year, and in fact could be done when I get there in August.

The new dock is complete and will be ready for the 2016 season.

The new dock is complete and will be ready for the 2016 season.

Wonderful!! Thanks for the update! I was hoping it might be complete, but did

not know for sure.

Will really make it easier to go back and forth from the ship now. :)

First, let me say THANK YOU for such an amazing review. Doing the Pre-Tour and Alaska cruise combo has been a bucket list item since we started cruising. We JUST booked this week for 2017. Your review is really helping give us an idea of just what to expect (I'm an avid over/pre-planner).

Next I have some questions and I know that your answers are in regards to your experiences so I know they may not necessarily apply to us next year.

In Fairbanks you did the Riverboat tour and had lots of stops to see and explore things. Were these all included as part of it? If not, would you just have had to stay on the boat? If any/some were included, which ones?

We have something called the Kenji Fjords National Park Cruise. Did you hear that term in regards to your Glacier Explorer in Seward?

If you remember, what was your cabin number?

Lastly (for now, :D) you mentioned (and showed) that you tendered in Icy Straight. When I look at RCI website for next year they show docked. Did you see them working on a new dock?

Thanx again,

Erika

Hey Erika,

OK, first let me say my pleasure and THANK YOU for the kind words; to answer your first question, yes the riverboat in Fairbanks and the stops it made were part of the cruise tour package and did not cost any extra, this was cruise tour 7B. I know 6B or 8B (can't remember which one) had the same itinerary as us but the riverboat WAS NOT included - so they spent the entire day in the city of Fairbanks (downtown) and did not go to riverboat landing and did not ride the riverboat at all. Everyone that road the riverboat was able to get off at the village, not extra charge. So make sure if you do a cruise tour you look at the fine print to see what is included :)

Second question, yes I remember the term Kenji Fjords National Park Cruise. If memory serves me right THAT was the INCLUDED excursion in cruise tour 6B or 8B (again can't remember, sorry) In ours (7B) we had the Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise (again if memory serves me right:roll eyes:).

Third question, we were in cabin 7040 and LOVED it! Since we had family all around the lack of privacy but added space on the balcony was a real plus

Forth and last question (for now:p) yes I remember Icy straight (Hoonah) working on a new dock. In fact here are some pictures I took:

DSC06712_zpsjsb7wmhz.jpg

DSC06713_zpse9fnunxi.jpg

One of the guides, from Hoonah told me that with the Explorer and eventually the Quantum coming to Hoonah, they did not want to tender such big ships with so many passengers. The guide told me the dock should be finished for the 2016 season!

Well I hope I answered all your questions. If you have any more please feel free to send them my way!

-Kraig

I was sworn to secrecy about "The Office Bar!":eek: It's a local legend and when we made friends with one of our guides he told us that if we ever come back we HAD to eat there. But I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, but since you told and not me, Im not breaking any promises :D

Wonderful!! Thanks for the update! I was hoping it might be complete, but did

not know for sure.

Will really make it easier to go back and forth from the ship now. :)

Forgot to include the link about the dock --- enjoy.

http://juneauempire.com/local/2016-03-04/icy-straight-point-completes-new-dock-adventure-center-and-restaurant

I was sworn to secrecy about

"The Office Bar!":eek: It's a local legend and when we made friends

with one of our guides he told us that if we ever come back we HAD

to eat there. But I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, but since you told

and not me, Im not breaking any promises :D

LOL!! We actually found it accidentally. We enjoyed a nice walk from

the tender dock into town the last time we were there. As we walked

by the Office Bar, which was just about to open, the owner was out

there steaming the crabs and she called out a friendly "Welcome to Hoonah"

to us. We were impressed at her welcome, so we stopped there for lunch

on our way back. Oh wow...as you know...what a great find. :D :D

Edited by island lady

Hey Erika,

OK, first let me say my pleasure and THANK YOU for the kind words; to answer your first question, yes the riverboat in Fairbanks and the stops it made were part of the cruise tour package and did not cost any extra, this was cruise tour 7B. I know 6B or 8B (can't remember which one) had the same itinerary as us but the riverboat WAS NOT included - so they spent the entire day in the city of Fairbanks (downtown) and did not go to riverboat landing and did not ride the riverboat at all. Everyone that road the riverboat was able to get off at the village, not extra charge. So make sure if you do a cruise tour you look at the fine print to see what is included :)

Second question, yes I remember the term Kenji Fjords National Park Cruise. If memory serves me right THAT was the INCLUDED excursion in cruise tour 6B or 8B (again can't remember, sorry) In ours (7B) we had the Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise (again if memory serves me right:roll eyes:).

Third question, we were in cabin 7040 and LOVED it! Since we had family all around the lack of privacy but added space on the balcony was a real plus

Forth and last question (for now:p) yes I remember Icy straight (Hoonah) working on a new dock. In fact here are some pictures I took:

One of the guides, from Hoonah told me that with the Explorer and eventually the Quantum coming to Hoonah, they did not want to tender such big ships with so many passengers. The guide told me the dock should be finished for the 2016 season!

Well I hope I answered all your questions. If you have any more please feel free to send them my way!

-Kraig

Thank you so much. Our scheduled tour includes the Fairbanks cruise tour (so was hoping that included the village and I believe you did the first mush camp from there, also included?). And our Seward tour includes the other cruise tour. Do you remember what time you eventually boarded the Radiance?

Thanx again for everything. I've also shared this thread with our M&M group. So chances are as our group grows, you'll probably get more views and possible questions. :D

Thanx,

Erika

Thank you so much. Our scheduled tour includes the Fairbanks cruise tour (so was hoping that included the village and I believe you did the first mush camp from there, also included?). And our Seward tour includes the other cruise tour. Do you remember what time you eventually boarded the Radiance?

Thanx again for everything. I've also shared this thread with our M&M group. So chances are as our group grows, you'll probably get more views and possible questions. :D

Thanx,

Erika

Not a problem, happy to help in any way I can :)

The fairbanks cruise made 3 "stops" but the first 2 "stops" were just in the river for a show/demonstration. The first "stop" was for the bush pilot to land and take off and do some maneuvers. The second "stop" was at the mushers camp where we watched and listen to the musher give a demonstration and tell us about the dogs. The third stop was actually the only time we could get off the boat and that was at the Native Alaskan village. The musher (Tecla's daughter, can't remember her name :confused: ) was there to talk and sign autographs, but no dogs to play with :(. The first time we actually got to play with the dogs was the musters camp excursion (not included - cost extra, but definitely recommend it!) in Denali.

Please ask any and all questions, I am more then happy to help! My wife's family and I are doing the Ultimate Scandinavian and Russia cruise on the Serenade this July/August and info is hard to come by so I completely understand anyones angst about the unknown. Anyway I can be of assistance to you or the group please let me know:D

Edited by Bmorecruiser021

Kraig,

Thanks so much for this fantastic review!! I will look forward to your review of this summer's adventure!!

BTW, do you happen to recall what it cost to ship your salmon home?

Best wishes and Happy cruising:)

Thanks again,

P

Kraig,

Thanks so much for this fantastic review!! I will look forward to your review of this summer's adventure!!

BTW, do you happen to recall what it cost to ship your salmon home?

Best wishes and Happy cruising:)

Thanks again,

P

My pleasure P, thank you for the kind words

Here is the prices and all the info regarding the salmon fishing. Hope it helps!

SCN_0001_zpsyia4qncf.jpg

SCN_0002_zps8sfnty55.jpg

And here is my invoice:

SCN_0003_zpsqqnuxu6l.jpg

Anything else you need please let me know!:)

Thank you so much for this great review. My husband and I have our first Alaskan cruise booked for May of 2017 with a very similar itinerary. Unfortunately I have been told that our balcony cabin is on the starboard side and the best side for viewing on a southbound cruise is port side. There are no available cabins on port side. Do you think we will still have good sights on the starboard side?

Thank you so much for this great review. My husband and I have our first Alaskan cruise booked for May of 2017 with a very similar itinerary. Unfortunately I have been told that our balcony cabin is on the starboard side and the best side for viewing on a southbound cruise is port side. There are no available cabins on port side. Do you think we will still have good sights on the starboard side?

Absolutely you should still have good sights! The ship cruises through islands and passages so views from both sides are amazing, and when you get to the glacier the ship turns in a circle (slowly) for a few hours as all sides get a good look. :)