MSC water policy

sheba2008

Is this the new policy of MSC? :

Going forward, on its Europe itineraries, the line will provide free, unlimited bottled water to American and Canadian passengers during lunch and dinner in the dining room, MSC Director of Public Relations Alyssa Goldfarb tells Cruise Critic. Previously, North American passengers were refused tap water in the dining room and received only one free bottle per table, per night.

Other cruisers on Europe voyages will still have to pay for water; other European lines such as Costa and Hapag-Lloyd also charge for it. Passengers who sail from homeports in North America already receive free pitchers of tap water with dinner.

If this is the case I will NEVER sail on MSC cruises EVER.

What a discrimination for us people from Europe !!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Is this the new policy of MSC? :

Going forward, on its Europe itineraries, the line will provide free, unlimited bottled water to American and Canadian passengers during lunch and dinner in the dining room, MSC Director of Public Relations Alyssa Goldfarb tells Cruise Critic. Previously, North American passengers were refused tap water in the dining room and received only one free bottle per table, per night.

Other cruisers on Europe voyages will still have to pay for water; other European lines such as Costa and Hapag-Lloyd also charge for it. Passengers who sail from homeports in North America already receive free pitchers of tap water with dinner.

If this is the case I will NEVER sail on MSC cruises EVER.

What a discrimination for us people from Europe !!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I pre-ordered a water package for our next sailing for 27 EUR for 14 bottles, so it's really a non-issue.

In the past, one could occasionally make a bargain by booking through an American TA, but over the past few years, prices through European TAs were consitently lower. So all things considered, I think we still get the better price, even when factoring in the cost of the water.

Well, we don't pay for water at restaurants, unless its bottled or sparkling or flavored.

Plain old H2O and Ice is free.

Blame the custom not MSC. They must assume they need North American passengers.

In Europe I would not expect free water with a restaurant meal. But I am fond of European mineral waters so that is just the cost I must add.

Also, although I know that is the custom, and I know tipping is not so much. I still will likely tip as it's our custom. :cool:

"There's no such thing as a free lunch" which is why I choose to believe the cost is built-in to US prices. If I book a cruise with an all-inclusive drinks package are others being discriminated against because the terms of their booking doesn't?

This is not a new policy for MSC it is always been like this as for as i know.

Yes it is new. Previously passengers booking through MDC USA received a book of vouchers for a certain number of bottles of water now it is an unlimited number free.

I'm with Bea though, it will be factored in to what they charge US passengers.

It's not like all passengers have the same terms and conditions anyway regardless of the country they book through.

Okay, now you've piqued my curiosity. Do Europeans only drink bottled water? Is your tap water not generally safe? Or is it that you prefer mineral, (sparkling), water vs. flat water in a bottle? Or do you usually drink tea, coffee, wine, beer, etc. with your meals?

We in the U.S. drink tap water with tap water ice pretty much with all of our meals and the water tastes fine and is certified safe. If we are traveling, or going to the gym, we'll take flat bottled water with us.

All the cruise ships that sail within U.S. waters must maintain certain water quality levels. They have very high-end filtering and/or osmosis systems that typically provide some of the finest drinking water available...both in the restaurants and in the buffets.

What do I need to be prepared for when I sail in Europe???

BTW, I booked a cruise on Divina in the YC for this Dec. at a fabulous price, so I'm not so sure about that U.S vs. European pricing scenario. ;)

I mean no insult to anyone in this query.....I'm just confused. :confused:

Okay, now you've piqued my curiosity. Do Europeans only drink bottled water? Is your tap water not generally safe? Or is it that you prefer mineral, (sparkling), water vs. flat water in a bottle? Or do you usually drink tea, coffee, wine, beer, etc. with your meals?

We in the U.S. drink tap water with tap water ice pretty much with all of our meals and the water tastes fine and is certified safe. If we are traveling, or going to the gym, we'll take flat bottled water with us.

All the cruise ships that sail within U.S. waters must maintain certain water quality levels. They have very high-end filtering and/or osmosis systems that typically provide some of the finest drinking water available...both in the restaurants and in the buffets.

BTW, I booked a cruise on Divina in the YC for this Dec. at a fabulous price, so I'm not so sure about that U.S vs. European pricing scenario. ;)

Customs in restaurants vary from country to country, so I don't think there is one answer that is universally applicable.

Here in Germany, drink revenue is an important factor for restaurants. The tipping expectation is lower, taxes are included and alcoholic beverages are quite a bit cheaper. On the other hand, there are no free drinks.

Traditionally, restaurants have only served bottled mineral water, but more and more are starting to sell filtered tap water (either still or carbonated) for a fee.

Here in Germany, you can expect to pay between 4 and 5 EUR for a 1L carafe of tap water and between 5 and 7 EUR for a 0.75 L bottle of mineral water.

Compared to that, water on MSC ships is dirt cheap. No complaint from my side...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The position is different in the UK.

In most restaurants, you will be asked if you want bottled or tap water. A jug of tap water or by the glass is free. Bottled mineral water (still or sparkling isn't). Some restaurants (probably more higher end ones) will ask if you want still or sparkling and they mean bottled they will charge you for. No where does the US thing of plonking down iced water without you having ordered it that I've come across.

At home, I drink filtered tap, but could equally drink it from the tap - Scottish water quality is good.

I never drink tea or coffee with a meal, only after it. In ypthe UK they serve it at the end of a meal in a restaurant.

In Italy though, you don't have coffee at a restaurant, you leave and then go to a cafe or bar and have it there. hence the MSC way of not serving it with dinner in the MDR on non US sailings.

I've found it strange how much a thing some Americans make of the water issue. The traditions about water and how it is served and what type is served varies so much across Europe that I've always just gone with the flow. A couple of euros here and there is nothing. I'm sure if I made a big deal of it in some countries, and insisted on being served tap water, I might get it, I also might look like an ignorant tourist not respecting other countries ways of doing things. Blending in is more important IMO. Perhaps as Americans are less prone to travel overseas than other nations do, they just don't know that whT they take for granted as the norm, is only their norm and not the entire world's, hence all the fuss when they encounter a different way for the first time?

I've found it strange how much a thing some Americans make of the water issue. The traditions about water and how it is served and what type is served varies so much across Europe that I've always just gone with the flow. A couple of euros here and there is nothing. I'm sure if I made a big deal of it in some countries, and insisted on being served tap water, I might get it, I also might look like an ignorant tourist not respecting other countries ways of doing things. Blending in is more important IMO. Perhaps as Americans are less prone to travel overseas than other nations do, they just don't know that whT they take for granted as the norm, is only their norm and not the entire world's, hence all the fuss when they encounter a different way for the first time?

This is hilarious, considering all the (vocal) hand-wringing from European memebrs of CruiseCritic regarding gratuities on US-based cruise lines.

YIKES! :eek:

In the end you have to look at the final cost with all things included. Whether you pay a couple euros more for water or in service charges or for other things really doesn't matter.

MSC understood that the water topic can be very emotional for some Americans. Therefore they adjusted their policy for this customer segment, but in the end, MSC is out there to make a profit and will make up through other things.

BTW, the American lines include service charges in the prices they advertise here in Germany, as they understood that this can be a controversial or at least unexpected issue in this market.

Thanks, Alex. I now recall that we've never paid for water in restaurants in the UK. I guess that's why this whole discussion confused me when I first saw it here on the MSC board.

The tap water in Los Angeles currently costs about $5 per 748 gallons. We have historically considered it a practically free commodity and would raise holy Cain if anyone attempted to charge money for it in a restaurant because it would be so silly.:cool: Do you have to pay to wash your hands in European restrooms? Because that uses a lot more than one glass. :confused:

In times of severe drought one typically has to request a glass of water in a restaurant here, it is not automatically provided. And of course, it's still free. Desperate times call for desperate measures.:p

The tap water in Los Angeles currently costs about $5 per 748 gallons. We have historically considered it a practically free commodity and would raise holy Cain if anyone attempted to charge money for it in a restaurant because it would be so silly.:cool: Do you have to pay to wash your hands in European restrooms? Because that uses a lot more than one glass. :confused:

I guess you would be in for another shock if you tried to wash your hands at a rest stop in Germany (the charge is 70 ct).

Water should be available to everyone who requests it and not just a chosen few! this once again brings up the question as to whether MSC are breaking any EU laws with this continued nonsense.

Here, here! Succinct and well put. I can totally understand someone being angry at being charged more than other pax for anything. :cool:

MSC were doing the same on Divina out of Miami, charging people from Europe for water while those from North America were getting it free, their reasoning behind it was the they pay for it in Europe so they can pay for it here!

Bea ... Not sure which day you are in Cannes but did a search for 2nd September, the link shows the times and prices in UK pounds.

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread, Dave :D

Thanks a mil - I thought I had the whole trip planned - I now have two more ports to reassess :cool:

I think that water is drinkable in every European country. Only the taste is sometimes not that great. In some Southern countries the water is chlorized (I hope this is proper English). That means that the water is ok for cooking, coffee & tea but not to drink. I think that taste is the main reason a lot of European people drink bottled water. For instance, here in the Netherlands, the water taste different in the various regions. When I go to my parents I don't like the tap water but at my own place it is fine.

Here in The Netherlands people drink milk with breakfast & lunch, even though that is changing. Soft drinks & juices (for lunch) are taking over. At dinner some drink milk, some water, beer is also frequently at the table. But also there it is also changing. More people drink wine during dinner. Both at home as well as in restaurants.

What also is new, that a lot of restaurants are offering free tap water. So it is changing and that mainly has to do with the plastic bottles in which so called spring water is bottled. These are not sustainable.