Help picking a beach and snorkeling day

Jgarriso

We are a family of four and need some help picking a beach destination. It's in December on the carnival valor. I think we are the only boat in port.

So my questions are,

1. Given the low nbr of ships that day, what is the best caye to go to with a great beach, facilities and snorkeling. Some shade or umbrellas would be nice, also good food.

2. Also planning on booking after we get off ship, is that fairly safe bet.

3. If all that sounds good, which company is best?

I have seen pics of goff caye packed elbow to elbow, so wanted to ask people who know.

Thanks for any info offered.

That might be tough. Most of the private vendor sites I've seen recently are going to Goff's Caye. The old Bannister Island was sold and I don't think they are handling cruise excursions.

You can grab a water taxi to Caye Caulker, and if you're off the ship early enough via an early tender you'll have plenty of time to get there and get back, shop, snorkel at the Split(bring your own), and grab lunch. Might b cheaper too as you'll only pay for the water taxi and then any thing you buy.

But you shouldn't have too much difficulty in getting a guide /excursion on the pier, especially if you're the only ship in.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 2 weeks later...
lucigo.....did you snorkel from the island or from a boat?

The boat took us to the island and we snorkeled from the island, then took the boat back to the ship.

The snorkeling group had a half way point where if you were tired you could go back to the beach.

The boat took us to the island and we snorkeled from the island, then took the boat back to the ship.

The snorkeling group had a half way point where if you were tired you could go back to the beach.

Lucigo - thanks for the information. Was looking at either this excursion or the Gallows Point snorkeling. How long was the tender ride from the ship to the caye? And was it very crowded? On our upcoming trip, there will only be two ships in port, so I wold hope things wouldn't be too crowded....