Spending for kid stuff

notentirelynormal

Okay, I am taking my grandkids on the Crown in April. It has been a long long time since I've had kids that young in the program (while not including when the g-kids were babies) and I'm trying to figure out what will cost. I notice they have a video arcade. I'm not one to indulge in that area of spending because, well, it is usually a waste of money that I would get almost as much enjoyment out of flushing the money down the toilet.

My DGS will be 11 at the time. I'm guessing he might like it. I'm thinking I will tell them and others (that includes Grandpa) around Christmas time that we are going so they are prepared for cruise type gifts, like a bracelet for my autistic DGD. I was thinking of telling others to give either on board credit or cash for spending cash. Can anyone tell me what would be the cost and what I could expect him to spend? He is NOT going to spend all his time doing this but I will let him indulge a little. I simply don't have a clue. Anything else my sweet boy might have to pay for? Let me clarify - I don't mean drinks and things I mean things specifically to kid actions.

My DD says to me... well, maybe while you guys on on vacation then maybe we should take one. Umm, we are babysitting while you WORK so you don't need a babysitter. I don't think so!

Edited by notentirelynormal

The kids clubs are a lot of fun for the kids. My 10 year old grandson loved it. The only cost was for the Jr. Chef program of $25 which he thoroughly enjoyed. He decorated a cake with the pastry chef which was delivered to our table at dinner that night, received a picture with the kids and chef that participated, received a chef apron and hat to take home and went on stage in the theater to receive a certificate showing he successfully completed the program by the Head Pastry Chef during the cooking show.

He and his teenage brother never set foot in the arcade. They were having too much fun without it.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

I know you stated not drinks, but your grand children may be interested in one of these packages. It gives them the freedom to get drinks when they want them.

Unlimited Soda Package Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited soft drinks served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.Item #0523$5.18

per person/

per day*

Unlimited Soda & More Package Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package, entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.Item #2312$8.05

per person/

per day*

Edited by sknight

I don't know of you can simply ask Princess to turn off the charging capabilities on their cards or not. Some cruise lines allow this, others don't. We would tell our son he had up to X amount of dollars he could charge per day but we would do the actual charging on our card. We allowed about ten dollars per day. He could accumulate a couple of days if he wanted a souvenir from the shop on board.

We also had a similar policy for souvenirs in ports. On some, not all, we gave him a dollar amount and if he wanted something he had to find it for less than the allowed amount.

The arcade is small with limited games. My grandsons pronounced it "lame." They went in once and never went back. I think between the two of them they spent $5. There are plenty of activities in the kids' club to keep them occupied.

Thanks for all the answers. This will be the 11 YOs sixth cruise and the 9 YOs third cruise although since her first was at 6 months I'm sure she won't remember it LOL. I will buy him the UKP because he loves his strawberry margaritas and I'm sure will love the chocolate banana drink as well. The 8 YO drinks water and once in a while she will have juice.

Princess has a great kid program and I know he will love it again. The 9 YO is high functioning autistic so we'll see how she does. I'm sure she will love it too.

I plan to sign them up for the Jr. Chef thing. I think they will both have fun there.

I'm not worried about blocking his spending. Even at 10 he is more responsible than some adults and she will never be in a position to need to charge anything.

Great that the games are free because I know he will want to try some. He's a talker so I'm sure he'll take charge of some kid and show him the ship (even though this will be his first on this ship).

He's a lucky boy. He's done New Zealand/Australia (at 3), Caribbean, Alaska and Coastals.

He's a lucky boy. He's done New Zealand/Australia (at 3), Caribbean, Alaska and Coastals.

Sheesh. I was 58 when I took my first cruise and, of course, had to pay for it myself. :rolleyes:

My girl was 13 and 15 on her last two cruises and the only charges from her card were drinks (soft and maybe hot chocolate, plus a virgin mojito). She thought Remix's activities were "lame," so she spent a lot of time with her fellow teens watching MUTS, playing ping pong, going to the shows (even sometimes with us:rolleyes:). She may have bought a couple of souvenirs with her own money in port. That's it.

the arcade area is tiny, with maybe 6 games- they never held my kids attention for long at all (5 dollars or less and done). Their only charges on their cruise cards when younger were for the soda package.

They did enjoy having money to purchase souvenirs in port though:)

I don't think it's even worth bothering to offer the arcade credit, he may never even go in there. They have video games in the kids club. My teens didn't even check out the arcade once they saw what was offered for free. We specifically did not let our teens do even the cheap wifi package. We got them in the mindset that the cruise was for fun with those on board and they could power up the phones for a bit in each port. Neither of mine drink much soda so we did not do the pkg just bought drinks as requested. They both had 1 milkshake and 1 had a mocktail when we had a long wait to be seated for dinner. On the Star they did not sell the soda only pkg anymore as someone posted above. Unless they are going to have at least 2 of the more expensive mocktail options per day it might be more cost effective to just let them order without a pkg but that would depend on port days, etc.

I don't think it's even worth bothering to offer the arcade credit, he may never even go in there. They have video games in the kids club. My teens didn't even check out the arcade once they saw what was offered for free. We specifically did not let our teens do even the cheap wifi package. We got them in the mindset that the cruise was for fun with those on board and they could power up the phones for a bit in each port. Neither of mine drink much soda so we did not do the pkg just bought drinks as requested. They both had 1 milkshake and 1 had a mocktail when we had a long wait to be seated for dinner. On the Star they did not sell the soda only pkg anymore as someone posted above. Unless they are going to have at least 2 of the more expensive mocktail options per day it might be more cost effective to just let them order without a pkg but that would depend on port days, etc.

I was just going to tell him he could if he wants. He's pretty active so I doubt he'll do it. My kids, now the parents of small children, never ever used the internet on a cruise. Two years ago I told my 34 YO always connected son that he was Elite and had free internet access. He looked at me like I was crazy :eek:. Except for actually needed (like checking in to the airline) we have never used it. We are there there to enjoy a ship experience.

When I am child sitting the kids go with me to the bar (okay it is a restaurant with a bar section) twice a week and the first thing he does is order his strawberry margarita. He's been doing that since he was two and they are considered regulars. Fortunately for me the owners of the restaurant love my grand kids and all their food and drink are free :D. He also enjoys a made from scratch hot chocolate with breakfast. That alone pays for the drink package for him.

Funny story: when his mom was 7 we were on a cruise (long before kids really sailed and they had activities for them) and she was drinking her margarita - you see where he gets it - and this man taps me on the shoulder and points at my daughter and says "excuse me, but is that a virgin". As soon as the words left his mouth he realized what he said. Went bright red. It was very funny. Seriously though, did the guy really think I was giving, and the crew serving, an alcoholic drink to a 7 YO?

We took our 2 grandsons on a week Mexico cruise the end of Dec- we bought them the Ultimate Soda Package- so they could have not only soda, but milk shakes and etc- that and the gratuities were all that was on their accounts. We said they could order pizza- so there were a couple of Pizza's on the bill - that was it. They did not like the video games- it was easy-

Which post was that?