Packing Suggestions

For evening dresses and trousers I drape them across the suitcase hanging out over the sides, and do the same with other long things too. Then underwear and other things go into the "well" in the middle. When pretty much everything is in, fold the bits that are hanging out over all the central stuff. Strap it all down well. Then I put a cheap pashmina over everything, tucking it down the sides as well. That stops anything good being caught in the zip.

Combined with plastic cover bags, it seems to keep the important things unwrinkled.

I tightly roll everything except dress clothes. T-shirts, shorts, jeans, casual skirts, khakis, underwear, pajamas, socks etc all get rolled and placed into ziploc bags. I use 2 gallon bags for most clothing and some 1 gallon bags for small things - socks, pajamas, things like that. Dressy stuff I put in a garment bag.

In the past we've always rolled everything, and in the last few months we've discovered packing cubes which means we still roll, but more organized. We also put dressy clothes and anything that wrinkles easily in dry cleaner bags before folding or rolling. Most of the clothes we take on cruises are more wrinkle resistant and I buy them specifically for that reason. Otherwise, I just don't worry about it. A lot of the wrinkles from being packed will fall out after clothes have hung a while. Plus, once you wear something for a bit and sit in it, it will have wrinkles, regardless of how it was packed. It's just what some fabrics do. I don't iron at home, why would I do it on vacation?:rolleyes:

DH has his shirts (dress and polo) laundered and pressed at the dry cleaners so they hold their shape well, even after folding.

I think some people worry too much about something that no one else will notice.

Edited by BND

I started using the packing cubes this year and love them! I use the Eagle Creek Specter folder for the clothes you can't roll, such as slacks, dress shirts, etc and it has worked wonderfully. Nice dresses or tops I wrap in dry cleaning bags which seem to help keep them nicely.

I learned all this on CC and have put it in practice on 3 trips this year, it works! :)

I use the dry cleaning bags that come back with whatever I have sent to the cleaners. I just save them until I need them. I send my husband's shirts to the cleaner weekly plus I usually have some of my own clothes which means I have a good supply. I take the clothes out carefully.nasnto not rip them, fold them in half and store in my closet until I travel for business or vacation.

Regarding how many you need for a 7 day cruise depends - I only use the bags for my nice tops and dresses and DH suit, so it depends how much you take. Everything else goes into the eagle creek folder and packing cubes.

Edited by bothluv2cruise
Trying to quote couldn't do it

Shoes with biggest heel goes in the outside well of suitcase's wheeled end and second pair of shoes in above them or in the middle between the handle rods. Long dresses and longer pants are alternately hanging out the short sides with tops alternately hanging out the wide sides. Smalls (undies, bathing suits and socks) are rolled into a single item and placed in the middle. Fold the overhanging parts back over one by one until all have been incorporated. Lift bundle out of suitcase and carefully place in large plastic trash liner and replace in suitcase. (My luggage has been soaked, but not my clothes!)

If pre-cruise time is planned, I either pack what's necessary in my hand luggage, or make a small bundle that sits separately on top of the larger bundle. I've tried dry cleaner bags, but they take up more space in the suitcase for me. The bundle method is available by video online if I didn't explain correctly.

• 1 month later...

Downey Wrinkle Release best suggestion. Wally bag & hanging within dryer bags worked the best for all my dresses(All dresses were wrinkle free upon arrival). My husband used a folded garment luggage bag & his shirts were all wrinkled. But the spray was a miracle saver.

I DIY wrinkle release. Then I never have to remember to buy it. Buy an empty smaller spray bottle at dollar tree. Put in 1 -2 splashes of Downy or whatever fabric softener you use. I use Kirkland from Costco. Pack bottle in ziplock. Add water to fill bottle, after you get on the ship, so you dont risk it spilling all over your suitcase. shake. Viola!

I simply fold and pack. I take a small spray bottle for PLAIN WATER and it does double duty - helps refresh my hair (perk up the waves) and I spray wrinkles, give them a brush with my hand and I'm good to go.

The fabric softener previously mentioned only adds fragrance, it doesn't seem to make a difference on releasing wrinkles.

Edited by Robin12265