4 Hours In Tortola

ibrinn

Gem docks at 7:00 AM and leaves at 1:00 PM. The reality is 4 hours in port. Does anyone have any recommendations on activities for such a short period of time? We are not interested in either beach or water activities.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
We must be on the same cruise. I am disappointed in the timing of this port stop and was wondering the same thing: what on earth will there be to do at 7 a.m. and what can be done in four hours.

We cruised to Tortola once and docked from 7 - 1 and enjoyed that time at a beach. Early day and a short day, but it's worth getting up and off the ship early for.

With 4 hrs you could take an island tour and then shop or have a bite at Pusser's Pub.

Edited by blue_water

Gem docks at 7:00 AM and leaves at 1:00 PM. The reality is 4 hours in port. Does anyone have any recommendations on activities for such a short period of time? We are not interested in either beach or water activities.

Thanks

The reality is that you have 5.5 hours in port, not 4 hours, however since you don't want beach or water activities, then you are stuck with an island tour or shopping, or just staying on the ship. In your case this might be the stop to stay on the ship.

Unless you are up and off the at 7 you'll have at most 5 hrs.

But do NOT consider staying on the ship or even close to the port. Tortola is too beautiful an island for that! If you are off by 8 you can easily enjoy a great tour with a beach stop and a few drinks.

Edited by blue_water

We are thinking we'd like a tour around the island with a stop at the beach for one to two hours.

Would that be possible? What are the things we should be considering the facilitate this? Should we just hop a taxi and ask (expected price?) Or is there another alternative? Are USD and/or credit cards accepted in taxis?

Found my own answer...yes![emoji41][emoji4]so now have to examine beaches!

Yes there is a lot if helpful information on that topic just a few threads down...

Also lots on the beaches, a thread just below this one titled the gorgeous beaches of the bvi has l a lot of info from folks.

ANy specific questions after reading that just post it! :)

I'm really excited about this island. I've done the others lots and lots of times, so this will be a treat! I'm surprised more cruises haven't gone there, but I read the port is under construction, so maybe these changes make it more appealing to cruise lines.

Blue water: how is the new pier? Are all the shops open yet. Will be there 12/10. We've done pretty much everything over the years. CGB, Danny Cay, Pussers, Virgin Gorda & Baths, Norman caves, Sunny Caribe, supermarket, bakery, vendors. When we first came, the lot was nothing but shells, nice ones at that. When we were there a couple years ago, the pier wasn't even started. Thanks.

Evie