Liberty of the Seas 5-Night Bermuda 8/22 Review with Pictures

I was on the Jewell this summer to Alaska. We were surprised how loose the slots were the first two nights. The money kept flowing out. Not quite Megabucks of $1,000.00's, but enough that you didn't walk away with empty pockets. As the week went out the pay outs were smaller and smaller. The last night of the cruise I lurked around a machine that paid out lots earlier in the week and it gave nothing back in almost two hours of play. Went i finally left people were still putting money in and maybe got $1.00 back. Could it be that is how the machines are set up?

I was on the Jewell this summer to Alaska. We were surprised how loose the slots were the first two nights. The money kept flowing out. Not quite Megabucks of $1,000.00's, but enough that you didn't walk away with empty pockets. As the week went out the pay outs were smaller and smaller. The last night of the cruise I lurked around a machine that paid out lots earlier in the week and it gave nothing back in almost two hours of play. Went i finally left people were still putting money in and maybe got $1.00 back. Could it be that is how the machines are set up?

That's what I noticed also. Slots pay more earlier in the cruise.

That's what I noticed also. Slots pay more earlier in the cruise.

I've heard the same thing, but, I won around $180 on the slots over a two-day period towards the end of the cruise. Hardly a king's ransom but, paid for most of our on board expenses and good fun with all those twinkling lights and bells ringing.

Jonathan

Bermuda - Monday August 24

The Liberty of the Seas docked at the Heritage pier at the Dockyard in Kings Wharf at 9:00 am on August 24.

With the use of her thrusters the leviathan ship lined up aside the pier, a moment later from above came the volley of a rope to secure the massive ocean liner to the nearby mooring bollards.

docking_1.jpg

With the docking procedure accomplished Elene and I proceeded down to deck one to prepare for debarkation. I always book tours through the cruise line but, since we would be staying in Bermuda for two days I thought perhaps it might be interesting to explore the island with a local tour guide instead.

Around four months before our trip I did some extensive research on Tripadvisor and also on the Bermuda boards here at Cruise Critic and came across a series of stellar reviews for Heidi Cowen a local Bermudian who does tours with her company Bermuda Byways. I was fortunate to book a tour for the day we arrived. At 9:30 we were to meet Heidi adjacent to a small hut with a white door at the foot of the pier.

I studied the picture she emailed of the pier hoping I would be able to locate it, but, as the ship was docking I easily spied it only a short distance from the ship terminal.

Debark Bottleneck

Our only negative issue with Royal Caribbean is during the cruise port debarkation portion of the voyage. Perhaps later in the day debarking the ship is perfectly seamless but, early in the morning many others like ourselves need to be off fast for private excursions and it was mostly mayhem in the lower decks of the Liberty.

Everyone and his brother was jammed into a very tight space on deck two awaiting the all clear to debark the vessel. It would be great if perhaps the early debark crowd could wait in one of the large venues on board say perhaps the deck 4 or 5 section of the Main Dining Room.

Instead however, 150 people or so are crammed into a small stair landing between decks attempting to be first off the ship. We had a similar experience in Nassau, Bahamas last year on Explorer when we were booked on a RCCL snorkel trip. Here the same predicament occurred with hundreds of people jammed into a tiny space with barely any word as to when the operation would commence.

Other cruise lines will have specific excursions meet and certain lounges on board and then hand out corresponding stickers. RCCL has the end of cruise debarkation down to a science. It is painless, extremely well-orchestrated and problem free. It would be great if they re-evaluated their debark procedures at cruise ports to make them more expedient.

Bring Your Photo ID’s

Make sure you bring a photo ID along with your sign and sail card. It’s announced clearly in the Daily Compass and there are notices at the gangway but, several people neglected to bring picture id’s and had difficulties re-boarding the ship. The first wave of ID checkers are Bermuda Cruise Port Representatives and they are not as forgiving as the crew members scanning cards near the gangway.

Bermuda Adventure

At 9:30 am the gangway was opened and we marched down to one deck, across the gangway and onto Bermuda soil. The day was overcast and gray which really wasn’t all bad in retrospect as the following day, the intervals of sun featured some extremely muggy weather, you could almost cut a slice of the humidity out of thin air, it hung so heavy in the atmosphere.

The Royal Dockyard on a Sunnier Day Two

2de2db25-7243-4b78-b395-6a8e856f6d9e.jpg

Just past the white door hut we found Heidi and her silver mini-van parked with her assistant tour guide resting inside,

Buddy her sweet blind dog. The fluffy, black haired dog was enjoying a nice nap in the front seat no doubt keeping it warm for her mum.

Assistant Tour Guide Buddy Seat Warming Before the Trip

asstourgd.jpg

Throughout the day we chuckled at Buddy’s routine after our fellow travelers took their seats Buddy would be the last to bound in and scootch under the passenger side front seat with only her fluffy tail showing, it was the sign that we were ready to hit the road for the stop of our Bermuda jaunt.

The tour consisted of eight people in total from the Liberty of the Seas. At about 9:45 am with our full complement in tow we set off for a fascinating all-day tour of beautiful Bermuda. Heidi is a terrific tour guide, a native Bermudian she has lived there her entire life. Her grandfather was the former keeper of the Gibbs Lighthouse and she too called it home for a time when she was young.

Terrific Tour Guide

Heidi is a walking encyclopedia of everything on the island, from its history to the unique characters, wonderful anecdotes, and interesting tales that weave the stories of this special place. She can spin a yarn and capture your imagination from Kings Wharf to St. George and everywhere in between.

Within the first few minutes as we traveled the circuitous route out of the harbor area we learned how prison laborers built the Royal Naval Dockyards to protect against a potential threat from the U.S. following the victory over England in the War of Independence. It was the largest British naval stronghold outside of Portsmouth England and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

At Somerset Bridge we fed bread to a school of fish that swarmed like piranhas as each airborne crumb landed in the water above their slithering bodies. They are quite harmless and apparently not good to eat, but, great fun to watch them dart and devour chunks of bread to the amusement of the visitors from America.

Eager Fish Looking For a Hand Out at Somerset Bridge

fish_1.jpg

The Gibbs Lighthouse stop afforded us a spectacular view of the island and harbor and way in the distance like a small spec on the horizon was our ship enjoying her day of Liberty to sun her decks and relax.

6892b5b9-4ae6-4e4e-b0cb-077234ea4160.jpg

We encountered some of the fabled Bermudian pink sands at a charming little beach off the beaten track called Warwick Long Bay. While the hordes had descended on Horse Shoe Bay, the secluded sands of Warwicks stirred a sense of delight in us. We felt like the first explorers who landed ashore to this enchanting seaside retreat.

Wawrick Long Bay Beach a Pink Sands and Turquoise Water

4b3289ce-4c56-4aa5-94b0-2f904667fc1a.jpg

We learned the famous sands are pink by virtue of the skeletons of tiny marine creature called red foram that grow underneath the reef. When the skeletons are crushed to bits by the waves they blend with the sand causing it’s famous color to emerge.

Jonathan

Moongate

At Palm Grove Garden we marveled at the great stands of Cuban Royal Palms, Palmettos and a curious tree whose barbed, bowling ball shaped fruit was reminiscent of some strange alien creature waiting to hatch. This beautiful manicured garden owned by the former Bermuda Premier David Gibbons stretches 18 acres and contains an alluring lily pond, whimsical wishing well and a magical moongate which is said to bring good luck to a newly married couple.

moongateus.jpg

The Slots Were Kinder After This Picture So Who Knows...?

bermudatour_1.jpg

Hamilton Princess

I have a passion for exploring hotels. Heidi kindly obliged and included a quick pit-stop and the newly refurbished $100 million dollar Hamilton Princess which will serve as the Official Hotel of the 2017 America's Cup.

11431481-4064-421a-b261-4e9c4a071ef5.jpg

Now, Where Have I Seen This Before?

crownandanchor.jpg

Hamilton Princess Bar

338794e0-1c5b-4e50-b27a-3c2078b26b05.jpg

Jonathan

Best Fish Sandwich on the Planet

Lunch time found as relaxing at a picnic table at Flatt’s Inlet where we dined on the most incredible fish sandwich we’ve ever tasted. Each behemoth half was filled to the gills with breaded fried codfish and stuffed between two massive slices of raisin bread. Heidi warned that half a sandwich was easily enough for one person but, we listened to our appetites instead. My suggestion take the native Bermudian’s advice.

art-mels-spicy-dicy.jpg

While we waited for the sandwiches to be picked up we strolled over to the adjacent Bermuda Aquarium and watched the gigantic, benevolent sea turtles gently swimming along in a large tank outside.

Friendly Turtles Swim By and Smile at Us

turtle.jpg

In the afternoon we drove to St. George and strolled around the town, we love to look at supermarkets in foreign countries and see if there are any unique items on the shelves. We were fairly flabbergasted at the price of cereal about $10 for a box of Raisin Bran. Everything is imported in Bermuda, the cost of living is quite high. Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg has a home in Tuckers Town an exclusive section of St. George. Other celebrities with homes in Bermuda include Michael Douglas and Twiggy.

On our way back to the pier we drove past peaceful Mullet’s Bay and Heidi’s favorite trestle Grey’s Bridge. We arrived back at King’s Wharf at around 3:30 pm a bit tired, but, invigorated by our scenic and fascinating journey around Bermuda.

I highly recommend Heidi for a tour of Bermuda. If you're interested in exploring Bermuda with a real professional who’s love and appreciation for this special place will illuminate it’s every nook and cranny book a tour with Heidi Cowen.

http://www.bermudafootsteps.com/home

Back home on board the Liberty we relaxed, freshened up and prepared for our afternoon trivia bout. There were a pair of Royal Caribbean lanyards out there waiting to worn around our necks like medals and we were game to go for the gold.

Liberty of the Seas a Welcome Sight After a Busy Day

41d7f568-4ac2-47cb-8be5-b29f4e513ce2.jpg

Next Up Day Two in Bermuda

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

What a great day one! Hubby and I love hotels too. Continuing to enjoy your report...

Ah, so I'm not the only who likes to hotel hop. Hoping to get to the Southampton Princess next summer and spend some quality time exploring the grounds there.

Thank You Beachiekeen.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Thanks again for the GREAT review!

Thank You fdthird, planning on posting it tonight.

Great review. Wonderful pictures!

Thank You Crusinot.

Jonathan

Bermuda Day 2

Tuesday August 25th the sun shone bright over Kings Wharf during the early morning. After our sightseeing adventure the day before with Heidi we planned for an easy going day perusing the shops at the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Eager to enjoy some Bermuda sunshine I strolled onto the outer decks with our travel mascot Olaf and snapped a few pictures. It was Olaf’s first cruise and he was excited to see the ship after being cooped up in the cabin for a few days.

Olaf Has Secured a Good Spot for Trivia

olafschooner.jpg

On Deck 5 we stopped into the Sphinx Lounge. I really like this public space, it always seems to beckon your entrance, with its bold gold and brown striped walls and striking half- man half-dog Anubis statue standing sentry near a pastel pillar, it is an inviting and soothing lair.

Olaf Has Made a New Friend

olafsphinx.jpg

The mystical Sphinx would then bestow a secret treasure as we followed a pair of doors to the promenade and the nearby heliport.

At this hour the giant oval space at the Liberty’s bow was vacant. Only the still Dockyard at starboard and beyond the ship’s rail loomed the Norwegian Dawn smiling back at us from its adjacent berth.

Olaf Enjoys His First Visit to Bermuda

olafbermuda_1.jpg

Early Morning Light at Bermuda Dockyard

4ceddd05-1927-427c-8e72-7b41a6706fbd.jpg

The Norwegian Dawn Smiled At Us from her Berth

smilingdawn_1.jpg

Olaf Smiled Back

olafsmileback_1.jpg

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Liberty Superstructure Gleaming in the Bermuda Sun

313c85c2-0782-4524-a2d3-16d04bc22df5.jpg

It was quite magical there on that sun drenched space and hard to imagine that this beatific scene would soon be replaced with dark grey thunderheads and billowing sheets of rain.

Drenching Rain Soaks the Dockyard

cloudburst.jpg

Elene and I sought refuge from the sudden downpour and seized the opportunity to play a round of morning trivia with our fellow trivia enthusiasts Julia and Catherine. We encountered the friendly mother and daughter duo at every bout and joined forces, chuckling our way to a victory or two along the way.

The first round was a Rebus brainteaser, a series of pictures and words that represent a common phrase. I had always enjoyed these types of puzzles on that old game show Concentration, it was good fun trying to deciphering these cryptic glyphs.

With a break in the weather we bid our trivia pals adieu until the 5pm visual trivia and made our way to one deck to explore the Dockyard. Outside the rain continued intermittently as we scurried along past the wharf and a rooster crowing loudly, perhaps perturbed at the soggy conditions.

Bermuda Rooster Sounds Wake Up Call to Sleepy Dockyard

rooster.jpg

We perused some beautiful pottery at the Bermuda Clayworks shop before making our way to the Clock Tower Mall which housed the typical assortment of tourist merchandise. We bought some delicious fudge at the Bermuda Fudge Company, delicious, creamy stuff. It all comes wrapped and sealed in cubes and okay to bring back to America.

We dashed into an alcove outside the Frog and Onion Pub when another deluge of rain teemed from the sky. We wandered into the Bermuda Arts Centre, an arts cooperative with paintings by local artists adorning the walls. I was rather taken by some incredibly vivid renderings of cruise ships by Christopher Grimes. What’s so impressive is Mr. Grimes is entirely self-taught.

Queen of Bermuda by Christopher Grimes

queenbermuda.jpg

Around a corner I glanced at some lovely tiny oil paintings of familiar Bermuda haunts we had visited on our wonderful tour. As I admired the work, I noticed the artists name as none other than our intrepid guide, Heidi Cowen. No sooner had I called to Elene to look at this lovely works when a voice broke the silence from behind me “That’s beautiful Mullet’s Bay” the artist announced as I whipped around to see none other than Heidi standing there.

A Lovely Oil Painting of Bermuda by Heidi Cowen

heidicowen.jpg

A Treasured Memento

Not far away curled into a doughnut near the desk was Heidi’s trusty cohort Buddy, enjoying a nice nap on her day-off from touring. My wife purchased a lovely whimsical sandbox that Heidi had created from pink sands with small aquatic charms adorning the cover, an octopus, sea shell and turtle and two small triangles of colored beach glass. Inside the box the interior is lined with Bermuda stamps.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

We purchase our share of t-shirts and fudge and tourist gear but, the best keepsakes if you can find them are lovely hand crafted original pieces of art by the local artisans. Every time you glance at these little travelers touchstones your mind harkens back to your adventures in that foreign land.

Back on board the Liberty later in the afternoon we watched the most unusual tourist activity from our balcony. It looked like some sort of a stunt from a James Bond film. The participant standing on a tiny platform would shoot up in the air propelled by a jet of water. The contraption functioned it seemed with a large tube connected to the exhaust of a jet ski. The person was elevated quite high perhaps twenty feet.

Water Stilts at Dockyard Bermuda

Bond.jpg

In an hour or so with the late afternoon sun bathing the shores of the Dockyard and the Governor’s Mansion in its web scaffolding,

e84ed472-4e30-489b-a638-43e94aa5223f.jpg

the Liberty’s bow thrusters powered up again as the mighty ship eased from the pier, bid adieu to the still smiling Norwegian Dawn and a set a course for home.

76261440-42b6-445e-93a3-ac5666f1cc6b.jpg

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Where did you get that fish sandwich? Looks yummy and may have to try one!

Hi Bob,

The sandwich we enjoyed was included in our tour of Bermuda with Heidi Cowen. But, I believe these fish sandwiches in raisin bread are quite popular and served at several places on the island.

I believe our sandwich shop was somewhere near Flatt's Inlet.

Jonathan

Hi Bob,

The sandwich we enjoyed was included in our tour of Bermuda with Heidi Cowen. But, I believe these fish sandwiches in raisin bread are quite popular and served at several places on the island.

I believe our sandwich shop was somewhere near Flatt's Inlet.

Jonathan

The place we got our sandwiches from on Heidi's tour was called the Sea Side Grill, probably the same place cruiser king mentioned . I will try to post a picture later. Found a site with more info

http://Http://bernews.com/2012/02/new-restaurant-opens-on-north-shore/

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by DKNYC
Website

Keep it coming! We are leaving in a week and a half for this cruise, and I love seeing all of your pictures!!

Was there a chocolate breakfast, or is that only on the longer cruises?

We had most of our breakfasts at the Windjammer. However, I did notice some chocolate syrup and whipped cream near the pancakes on the last sea day at the WJ.

Pretty sure they had chocolate breakfast on the second sea day heading back to New Jersey.

Have a great cruise on Liberty.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Would you happen to remember the order of the MDR menus for the 5 nights? Trying to plan on which night may be best to miss in the dining room for Portofino or Chops.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2256076

Jonathan, what was the date of your February Anthem cruise? We booked onboard for March 27th but will probably change it.

Marietta

That would be so fun to cruise with you again-- come join us in February!!!

Jonathan-- such an awesome review!! Reliving the fun!